What's new

Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea? (1 Viewer)

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
I can only find these in Canadian stores. Also, it is only is P&S. Has anyone heard of a new release coming up hopefully in OAR and in the US? Also, where do I find coupons for Canadian online stores?

Thanks

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
The OAR of the Anne of Green Gables series (all 3) is 4x3 - it was made for TV. The easiest way to get these in the US, especially for a better price, is EBay. Sullivan Entertainment (the company that produces the Anne movies and videos) sells these for extremely high US dollar prices to US people. Some other Canadian places sell them cheaper. I have seen the DVD's available on some US site also - check www.dvdpricesearch.com.
Hope this helps!

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
You can also find them new or used on Amazon at a decent price these days... my wife just picked up the first movie recently.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I thought that Disney was doing the VHS for these...did they not get the rights for the DVD?

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I dunno about Buena Vista, but I hope they get the DVD rights and remaster them. The compression artifacts on both of these, as released by Sullivan Entertainment in Canada were absolutely horrible!
I vowed never to buy again from Sullivan after Anne of Avonlea turned up so bad. If BVHV reissues them, I'll consider buying (yet again!). Ah, the things I'll do for my wife. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Also, in Canada Avonlea is 'Anne of Green Gables - The Sequel'

These discs are horrible quality, but they're better than nothing. I've seen the tapes for sale at Wal-Mart.

Skip the third movie, it's not based on any of the books and is not terrbily good.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
What Chad Said.

Yes! Stay away from Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story. It's apparently quite bletcherous. And that's just the plot. I have no idea what the video looks like on that one...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For What It's Worth, here is a link to the TVShowsOnDVD entries for these items.
I'm not sure what it will add to the discussion, but at least there are links there to purchase them from folks who ship them to a US address.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If you want these titles, you should probably get the DVDs of the titles you want. I was able to get all 3 used through Amazon zShops. And you get some decent extras.

The video quality on the 3rd one is not bad, but this one was made quite recently; the first 2 were done in the mid-1980s and edited on analog tape.

Also, the TV series "Road to Avonlea" is also coming, but, sadly, not in season sets. I just want to see the entire series released.

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. My wife really likes this series. Yesterday she watched the tapes (which have been watched who knows how many hundred times) and she said it looked really bad.

Manny

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
My opinion? No.

The VHS tapes are limited in resolution and will degrade over time, but the compression artifacts on the DVDs are of the blocky, distracting form.

It really depends: are you easily distracted/annoyed by blocking ("pixellation")? If you are, keep the VHS tapes and wait for someone with some standards for quality to re-release these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks