1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Anne of Green Gables 2/4/2003?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elyse, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Elyse

Elyse Auditioning

(also posted on another forum, but I really want to know if this show is going to be re-released!)

I was looking through the complete DVD list, and I noticed that it lists Anne of Green Gables (1985) as being released on 2/4/2003 by United American. According to IMDB, there was only one Anne of Green Gables released in 1985, the TV mini-series.

Does anyone know anything more about this? I've been holding off on getting the Anne of Green Gables DVDs from Canada because of all the negative reports on the video quality.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Anne of Green Gables currently has the three mini series released by Sullivan Entertainment (http://www.sullivan-ent.com/), the company that produced the series. This is probably just a distribution deal with the remastered versions. I haven't seen these yet, but judging from the original AOGG release, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

The three mini series are also availble in a box. More details at http://www.anne3.com/

3. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Can somebody recap for me in a nutshell, what was
    wrong with the first DVD release?
    I just saw the hefty asking price on the sullivan website...

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The biggest issue to me was that it looked overly sharpened, almost as though this was a master created for VHS duplication which would soften properly at lower resolution. There is a fair amount of grain which doesn't look natural. Colors are strong, but it just doesn't look right.

This was reissued a while ago as "remastered" though from what I've heard, it is pretty similar in quality, but with more goodies thrown on. Sullivan currently has an exclusive on the three disc set, and the title has disappeared from most online retaillers. I suspect that they have opened distribution into the US.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I 99% sure they got the wrong year on that list.

There is no re-release or distribution deal or anything similar for the 1985 series that I have been able to dig up. I have used my TVShowsOnDVD resources to the best of my ability to determine this. I may be wrong, but I have a strong motivator in that this is a favorite of my wife, and she's held off on the Sullivan releases due to wide reports of poor video quality - even on Sullvan's own discussion boards at their website!

Instead, there is a release of the 1934 film that is happenning. I have seen release dates ranging from late January (Amazon says 1/23/03, which is a Thursday!) to early February. So a Feb. 4th release according to this list would keep in line with that.

I bet my socks that this is the release indicated, and the 1985 date on the list is a mistake.

Here is the cover art for the 1934 release:
    [​IMG]

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well, that also makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure why Sullivan isn't open to wider distribution, other than perhaps to try and milk their exclusive while not delivering the quality.

7. Jefferson

Well, that is a shame.
    I'm one of those surprised "Anne" converts. ( I felt the same way about "Pollyanna"). I could not believe that this old novel that i assumed to be sugary sweet, was turned into such a moving film. It deserves a good transfer.

8. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

I wrote on this extensively in other places, but I won't bore you with the whole spiel again. The disc had the most noticable compression artifacts in my >200 disc collection. I noticed it most in scenes in the fields, where grass and grain turned blocky, and in dim indoor scenes, where the actors' clothes and wallpaper had the same appearance.

My personal opinion is that they tried to cram too much onto one DVD-- first a single-layer dual-sided, then a dual-layer single-sided on the re-release. It's four hours long, after all, and the disc was first put out about three years ago, when transfer-expertise was not what it is today.

I had high hopes when they released the second version, "digitally remastered", but it was just as bad as the first. And when they released the second mini-series, it was even worse: there were scenes on the beach where not only the background looked bad, but characters faces were blocky.

Sad, really, as this is a pretty cute movie, and it really frustrates me that it has been so mistreated on DVD. My suggestion is that they scrap the idea of trying to put this thing on one disc and instead do it on 2 DVD-9s. There's plenty of room to fit two hours on each disc, and the artifacts would likely be minimized.

Needless to say, this won't go over well with significant others who really want this on disc. [​IMG]

9. Jefferson

Thanks Aaron.

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

By coincidence I had just picked this up (AOGG, Sullivan edition) the day I saw this thread.

Didn't have a chance to see any of it until today, and tho I'm not a HTF fanatic, was worried from what I heard that this disk might look like THE QUIET MAN, a muddy horror.

Actually, it was like a very good TV broadcast, without the commercials. (I have the flipper version, so I hope the other 2 hours on the other side are just as good)

[​IMG]

11. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Alistair, that is the reissue. The original had different artwork, no commentary, and was double sided. I believe the reissue is a DVD9.

13. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I bought the Canadian versions some time ago of part 1 and part 2. After watching both and actually becoming sick from looking at the backgrounds (the trees and grass actually block up and look very sharp), I decided to buy the Japanese releases. I must say the Japanese releases are much better and the transfer is much softer. I'm keeping the Japanese releases.

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Are the Japanese versions in English with removeable subtitles?

15. David_D

David_D Stunt Coordinator

I look forward to a quality release of this with great anticipation. I have it on laser disc, and it is a
    treasure.

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Alistair and Jeff, it's slightly confusing. The cover of the one I have looks the same as on the DVDsite, with some minor difference at the lower right corner.

But the one I have is 2 sided, the case label says C 2002, and it claims a running time of 190 minutes. As side 1 was 1 1/2 hours, that seems plausible.

Anyway, C$28.99 is what I paid, and if side 2 plays fine, I'm happy [​IMG]