Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Title: Annabelle 3

Genre: Horror

Director: Gary Dauberman

Cast: Mckenna Grace, Madison Iseman, Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Emily Brobst, Stephen Blackehart, Katie Sarife, Steve Coulter, Paul Dean, Eddie J. Fernandez, Joanna Bartling, Michael Cimino, Kenzie Caplan, Sara Raftery, Sade Katarina

Release: 2019-07-03

Plot: When Ed and Lorraine Warren place the Annabelle doll in their artifact room, where they mistakenly believe she can no longer cause harm, she awakens the evil inside all the other haunted artifacts in the room and together they target the Warrens’ 10-year-old daughter, Judy.

First one was mediocre. The second was fantastic. My favorite of all the “Conjuring Universe” films.

Reactions: benbess

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
James Wan teases details of Annabelle 3 at Comic-Con:

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/19/james-wan-annabelle-3-details/

The third Annabelle film is set for release on July 3, 2019 and is being written and directed by Gary Dauberman, who wrote the two previous movies and The Nun and co-wrote It.

“I’m still finalizing the script, but it really picks up with the Warrens bringing Annabelle to the place where it can really no longer wreak havoc, which is their artifact room,” said Dauberman at the end of the evening. “But, of course, it turns out she can also wreak havoc there. And she really awakens the evil within that room and they target the Warrens’ 10-year-old daughter, Judy. So, that’s the set-up.”

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Mckenna Grace To Headline Third “Annabelle”

She's playing Judy Warren, the daughter of Ed and Lorraine Warren. Judy is played by Sterling Jerins in the main Conjuring movies.

I like the actress a lot, but I don't love the concept behind this movie:
  • It's the Solo problem again: It bothers me when characters are recast within a cohesive universe for a time period where we already know what they look like. Obviously, Solo was a much higher profile example, but the problem is if anything more acute here: This takes place more or less concurrently with the original Conjuring. Judy appeared in that, played by Jerins when she was eight or nine years old. Seeing two different actresses playing the same character at the same point in time really torpedoes my suspension of disbelief.
  • It implies that the Warrens aren't good at their job, because it means that they a) failed to properly drive the spirit from the doll; and b) left said doll under the same roof as their vulnerable child.
  • It keeps retreading old ground, when there's a whole universe of supernatural horror out there to explore.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It bothers me when characters are recast within a cohesive universe for a time period where we already know what they look like. Obviously, Solo was a much higher profile example, but the problem is if anything more acute here: This takes place more or less concurrently with the original Conjuring. Judy appeared in that, played by Jerins when she was eight or nine years old. Seeing two different actresses playing the same character at the same point in time really torpedoes my suspension of disbelief.
I agree to an extent, but it has been several years since the original Conjuring, so if this new film is to take place in the same time frame, the same young actress likely cannot play the role.

It implies that the Warrens aren't good at their job, because it means that they a) failed to properly drive the spirit from the doll; and b) left said doll under the same roof as their vulnerable child.
I believe that reflects reality. The Warrens kept a whole collection of cursed objects in their home, including the Annabelle doll (which was actually a Raggedy-Ann doll). They were in a locked room that was blessed regularly and supposedly off limits to their daughter. And I believe they were not able to exorcize the spirit from the doll. This is all explored as a subplot in the original Conjuring.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Annabelle 3

Genre: [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Gary Dauberman[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Mckenna Grace[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Madison Iseman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Patrick Wilson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Vera Farmiga[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Emily Brobst[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Stephen Blackehart[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Katie Sarife[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Steve Coulter[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Paul Dean[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Eddie J. Fernandez[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Joanna Bartling[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Michael Cimino[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kenzie Caplan[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sara Raftery[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sade Katarina[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2019-07-03[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]When Ed and Lorraine Warren place the Annabelle doll in their artifact room, where they mistakenly believe she can no longer cause harm, she awakens the evil inside all the other haunted artifacts in the room and together they target the Warrens’ 10-year-old daughter, Judy.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
First look at Annabelle Comes Home from James Wan at EW:

The third Annabelle movie chronicles the spooky events that take place after the Warrens bring the devil-doll back to their house.

“It really picks up with the Warrens bringing Annabelle to the place where it can really no longer wreak havoc, which is their artifact room,” Dauberman said at last year’s San Diego Comic-Con. “But, of course, it turns out she can also wreak havoc there. And she really awakens the evil within that room and they target the Warrens’ 10-year-old daughter, Judy. So, that’s the setup.”
https://ew.com/movies/2019/03/25/annabelle-come-home-james-wan-first-look/

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Official Trailer:

It looks good, but I don't know that I'll be able to get over the recasting of Judy Warren. As good of an actress as Mckenna Grace is, we know from The Conjuring exactly what Judy Warren looks like at the time this story is set: Sterling Jerins circa 2012. Despite the hair and costumes, it's about a close of a match as going from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle in the Iron Man movies. Really punctures my suspension of disbelief in the whole Conjuring universe.

Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You must have a good memory for faces. Unless I were to rewatch The Conjuring right before I see this film, I'd have no recollection of what she looked like in the earlier film.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Saw this tonight at the drive-in. Nearly as bad as The Nun when it came to overly dark scenes. It's actually probably the worst offender of the entire Conjuring franchise when it comes to atmospheric lighting that doesn't make any sense in context. In the other movies, when there are dark scenes, there's a reason why there isn't any light. Here they spend half the movie wandering around the house with flashlights, having horrible things jump out at them from the shadows, and I kept wanting to yell, "Why don't you just flip on the light switch?!?"

The rules established by the movie are pretty clear: the glass that Annabelle's display case is made of came from the windows of a Catholic cathedral that was demolished. It both contains Annabelle and blocks Annabelle's signal from summoning other malicious spirits. When the doll's out of the case, bad things happen. When the doll's in the case, the evil is contained.

Mckenna Grace gets top billing for this one, and she does a good job as Judy Warren. She's half very normal kid and half very competent handler of the paranormal. For the bulk of the movie, she's babysitting the teenagers instead of the other way around.

I'd put it near the bottom of the pack, ahead of the first Annabelle and probably right around the same level as The Nun.

Reactions: Tino and Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Never been a huge fan of the Annabelle movies, though I did like the second one pretty well. With over $76m worldwide in the first weekend, Annabelle Comes Home is likely instantly profitable, though I'd hope they'll give Annabelle a rest now and move on to other characters. I'm looking forward to the next films in The Conjuring (out Sept 2020) and The Nun series, and still hoping for The Crooked Man. I hear there are some possible spinoffs from this current film, as well.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
A thoroughly disappointing sequel on pretty much every level.

I thought Annabelle Creation was the best film in the Conjuring universe and has high hopes for this sequel.

Adam pretty much nailed my issues with the film. Too bad.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gr8Dane