Anime TV Shows on DVD: The Questions

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Just thought I'd share this infomration with the rest of you. While I've been collecting anime ever since the the summer of 1986, the industry here in the United States has always released anime to home video whether it be on VHS or DVD. During my tenure of collecting anime DVD's and so forth I've never seen an anime DVD get canceled before the entire show was released.

When an anime show is licensed for release, the anime distributor (Geneon, AnimEigo, Viz, ADV Films, Manga) commits itself to releasing the entire show since they've paid for the license. It's good news that shows such as Naruto, Pokemon, Voltron will continue to be hot sellers and reinforce these companies and their policy and it convinces them to bring over even other more popular anime shows that many fans have been waiting for.

Robotech has spawned at least three different DVD releases, giving fans to keep buying the new versions and I suspect that with the popularity of Voltron and the strong initial sales of the first release we can continue to see stronger sales of future shows and future sets.

2. Rusty_W

Rusty_W Auditioning

Actually there are several series that has been canceled before they released the entire run. The one that comes to my mind which I am waiting for is "I'm Gonna be an Angel" which Broccoli promised will come out, but I seriously doubt it. They took almost two years to release DVD #2, and I have little to no hopes for 4, 5 and 6.

I know that there are others, but sadly their names are escaping me as they are normally pretty bad and/or unpopular shows. I believe "Space Pirate Mito" was one of them as my friend had told me long ago that only half of the series was released on DVD.

What normally gets canceled (or perhaps never even had plans to release more than the one or two DVDs) are the kiddie anime shows. The obvious one that people would point out is "Digimon". I only have the "first season" box set and have been waiting patiently for more for about 5 years now is it? I was foolish to never watch the show on TV in it's entirety as I erroneously thought that I could watch the series on DVD some day during a weekend marathon (which is how I usually watch my anime).

I suppose an argument could be also said of Sailor Moon's last season, "Sailor Stars" as well, but that topic could be debated in great detail from a fan's point of view as there was never an English dub or licensing of that final series.

So, yes, there are cases where people did not get what they want with anime, much like with normal TV series. I'm certain others could make a more extensive list as there is so many series out there, that it's impossible to keep track of them all and remember what had and had not been released in their entirety. In most cases, it's the poor sellers that gets the chopping block, much like normal TV releases.

On an interesting note, in Japan they have far more anime series that did not get their full release on their DVDs. Sometimes the USA region will release the DVDs, which upsets their fans. One such example is the upcoming "Super Gals!" box set 2. Anime collecting is a funny thing at times.

3. Mark Talmadge

Broccolli isn't considered a top anime distributor though and they're not even mainstream. Because distributors, mainstream distributors such as Media Blasters, ADV Films, Geneon who pay some hard money for liscensing a particular series, can't afford to license the series and then not release that series, they generally commit to releasing that series in order to make back the money they've spent on packaging, production, and licensing costs. Often enough, these companies rarely make any profit from their releases, most often only the money they've spent on producing those titles.

Just look at AnimEigo's path where they recently decided not to renew their license to the Kimagure Orange Road series and emptied out their stock of KOR DVD's so that they woulnd't be held with unwanted stock before they were forced to stop selling those DVD's and now you can't buy them from retail outlets anywhere.

As far as Sailor Moon goes, that's been a hot debate for a long time ever since the original studio decided to pull ADV's license and not allow them to renew it because they wanted to do a better release of the anime in the United States but have abandoned that option due to some unforseen issue and now you can't buy the Sailor Moon in any format in any retail store.

There's often politics involved when a series is no longer released but those companies that I've listed have always released a series in its entirety rather than just abandon it halfway through its run.

4. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

I would LOVE Sailor Moon Sailor Stars to be released on dvd here but I seriously doubt it ever will....I am SOOO thankfull I bought all the SM dvds when they were first released....Now you can't find them anywhere. I was such a huge fan i bought all of SM and SMS on tape then got a dvd player and rebought it all on dvd...[​IMG]

I really hope Pokemon continues to release all its seasons in box sets... I am in the process of getting the 4 box sets for master quest and advanced and cant wait to get S1 V1 in november. I wonder if they will release season 2 in a box set...I already own the first orange island dvd so i am wonder if i should wait for a set or try to pick up the other two...

5. Mark Talmadge

I think Viz may end up spacing the sets apart so they can continue with the bi-monthly Pokemon DVD releases. I'm just not sure how many episodes will be on the forthcoming Season 1 set.