What's new

Anime Network -- coming soon (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well it looks like ADV films is going to provide anime 24/7 on their new network. You can check out the press release here. There are basically going to be four blocks: Action Zone, Sci-Fi, Comedy Incorrect, and Horror/Martial Arts. They are not listing any providers yet but I'm glad to see that someone is willing to give this idea a shot. I had always hoped that Cartoon Network would do something similar but they never seemed to get it off the ground.
Chris S.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I tried to get into anime when I saw all the big hits such as Akira, Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, etc... But many others I watched were just bland using the same old formula with a bunch of boring drama thrown in. When CN started showing DBZ I got into that but the hardcore anime freaks I know don't even consider that real anime (don't ask me why).

Once this network is up and running I hope to check out some other types of anime and see what all the fuss is about.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope there's no censored crap. I'm not advocating tentacles and naked school girls here (although it wouldn't be a bad idea......oops, strike that from the official record :D ), it would seem like the channel would be aimed for mainstream America and not the anime afficianado.
This isn't to say I hate Dragon Ball Z either. I like the show, but I would like to see other anime on television as well. Too bad the censors would probably bleep and block everything out.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Too bad the censors would probably bleep and block everything out.
What makes you think that? To be honest, most anime doesn't need editing. Escaflowne on Fox was edited, but not for stuff that was "unacceptable". More to edit some of the girly stuff out. Same with Card Captor Sakura.

I don't know what exactly ADV's plans are, but I don't see extensive editing of their product being part of it.

Jason

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ADV wishes it to be a basic cable channel, so there's going to be some trimming more than likely, but I agree that they'll keep it as intact as possible

I'm only hoping that they mix up the dub/sub well

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Jason Birzer said:
What makes you think that? To be honest, most anime doesn't need editing. Escaflowne on Fox was edited, but not for stuff that was "unacceptable". More to edit some of the girly stuff out. Same with Card Captor Sakura.
That's the thing though. I want pure, untouched anime.
And what's with this thing about dubs and subs? Why should I care about twenty inch rims and submarine sandwiches?
Just kidding. :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I wonder if they could do dubs during the days and subs at night.
This is my hope. CN tried doing something similar a couple of years ago with Gundam. I'm not sure how successful it was, but I'm sure that with a network devoted to anime you would have to do something along these lines to pull in the die hard anime fan base.

Chris S.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This is my hope. CN tried doing something similar a couple of years ago with Gundam
No they didn't. They just showed it without all of the euphamisms for God and death in there and restored a few frames of footage that they might have trimmed to a few episodes. The only subbed anime Cartoon Network has, or according to their president ever will show is the opening to Mach Go GO GO

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Ooops... :b I meant to take your quote Jeff.
...I agree that they'll keep it as intact as possible
Maybe I should read a quote before blindly pasting it in. :D What I was trying to point out was that the Gundam episodes that ran at night were supposedly the uncut versions, unlike those that ran during Toonami.
Chris S.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's the thing though. I want pure, untouched anime.
I think Jeff is right in that you are going to get some minor edits because there are just some things you can't show on TV without some uptight American getting their panties in a bunch over it.

Jason

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Those are both in the Harmony Gold library, and HG have close ties with ADV therefore I'd say it's possible. Given the horrific dub on Harlock (and the infamous role reversal in the first episode) I certainly won't be watching

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 Please say they're going to play Ranma 1/2 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks