Anime Fans: opinions on Vampire Slayer D

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    the search wasn't working, so i thought i'd ask what you all think of this one. i always see it in the stores and it looks pretty cool, but i'm concerned about it being so old. i read another review somewhere (animedvd.com)??? and they said it was decent.
    any thoughts?
    tia
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

2. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

And what is wrong with old animation from the 80's? Did you not grow up on old animation? I see nothing wrong with old animation from the mid-80's. Vampire Hunter D was a splendid movie during its prime time in the 80's and still a pretty good story, regardless that this type of story has been used in other Hollywood type stuff after this movie came out.
    Still very well done for the budget they had back then. I still recommend it for its uniqueness and Yoshitaka Amano's character designs.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

Vampire Hunter D is an excellent animation (or anime). The story is top notch and the animation itself is a very
    good. When compared to more recent fare like Cowboy Bebop or Samaurai X, yes the animation does show its age but nevertheless the art work is still very effective and well done.
    But if the animation visuals concern's you then I would suggest you hold your horses for the new Vampire Hunter D movie subtitled Bloodhunt(or that may be Blade 2's subtitle).
    Anyway I caught a trailer of the new Vampire Hunter D anime at the San Diego Comic-Con and to quote today's youngster's it is "Off the Hook". The animation looks like it going to rock.
    It is due to be released in theaters I believe in either October or November of this year. It will be a limited release at first starting in L.A.& New York and then after about 2 weeks it will spread out hitting such cities as San Diego.

5. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I was a little indifferent to this release. While I was well aware of its influential presence as one of the first pioneers of the anime horror/fantasy genre and its somewhat dated animation (although that's not necessarily a bad thing!), I still found the story to be a bit unimpactful...if that were a real word that is. I got into anime rather late, probably around 1994 or so (hey I'm only 17), and therefore do not have "suffer" from the same nostalgia plaguing all you old anime folks out there [​IMG]
    My two cousins, who have seen virtually my entire anime collection, complained that Vampire Hunter D is one of the worst that I own (out of about 50 anime DVD's). Admittedly this show had a lot to live up to after all the old anime junkies at my work kept hyping it up for the two weeks before I eventually bought it.
    I'm curious to see what I'll think of it if I sat down to watch it again...Without all the hype blurring my vision, it might actually turn out to be a decent show, or I may get disgusted and just turn it off before it's done [​IMG] We'll see though. I'll try and find time this week to watch it again.
    ------------------
    www.DigitalHoard.com
    Petition: get Family Guy released on DVD!
    [Edited last by Joe_C on August 24, 2001 at 10:06 PM]

6. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

Hey Ted, the old anime series with the battle ship in space was called Starblazers in the U.S. and Spaceship Yamato in Japan.
    Incidentally the Yamato was a real Japanese battleship.
    Anyway, Starblazers is an excellent animated series. To me it was the first animated series I had been exposed to that actually had a serious storyline and the characters were treated seriously. It is truly an epic story.

7. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Ted,
    I highly recommend getting Lain, and three episodes is nothing, you should see the output from the Japanese for the R2 DVD, it's worse than 3 episodes per volume (I think it's like 2 or 1 episode per volume). Anyway, great series that you can probably get cheap if you do your search via DVDPriceSearch.Com. Make sure to put all 4 dvd volumes so you can compare pricing and totals (with tax & shipping if applicable). 13 episodes TV series that ran pretty late in the wee hours (like 1AM something in Japan during its given day of the week...for 13 weeks straight). Didn't do so hot during its rating (what would at that hour?), but it has developed a good cult following in Japan and even bigger in America (mostly due to word of mouth spreading like wild fire about this series).
    Do look for the other series by the same production company. Boogiepop Phantom (Jap: Boogiepop wa warawanai = Eng: The Boogiepop Does Not Laugh), and Niea_7 (aka Niea Under 7).
    ---
    Due note, the new Vampire Hunter D movie is not just a remake, it is also a continuation. Think of it as Evil Dead 2...how it is partially a remake and partially a continuation from the first movie. If it was truly a remake, it would not be too marketable in the Japanese market, since the story is old and has been told before. Remember, Japanese people are into "new" trends and fashion, and old trends are not "in" anymore.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have heard good things about Vampire Hunter D but I haven't seen it. Lain is REALLY good, and only has 4 discs, with 4 eps on the first disc and 3 on the other 3. Its a great series and I highly reccommend it. If you are rich, definitely pick up Neon Genesis Evangelion. Everyone who has seen NGE either loves it and embraces it as the best anime show ever or they totally hate it. It has 4 eps on the first 2 DVDs and then 3 on the other 6 DVDs (26 eps, 8 DVDs). Its a lot, but its worth it. NGE also has 2 movies coming out this winter. They are both excellent.

9. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

10. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I just came back from a screening of the new Vampire Hunter D movie at the Egyptian Theatre up in Hollywood. The movie's visuals were breathtaking and the sound was indeed all around me. It has a good story too. I think the movie gets a limited/wide release sometime in late September. I can't wait for this on DVD.

11. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed this movie. I hope to be adding more Anime DVDs like this to my collection soon.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

12. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Morgan,
    Doncha mean the NGE movies will be coming out next spring of 2002? [​IMG]
    Manga has officially announced yet another delay in the movies to be released in March, 2002. Let's hope they don't delay it again to summer of 2002.
    ---
    I wanted to go to the showcase of the new Vampire Hunter D movie up in Hollywood, but the drive would have killed me, and I was celebrating my b-day, and so I couldn't go. However, I really want to see this too, since I have seen previews since it was still under production (and been in production for 3-4 years).

13. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Ted, I would rent it first if possible. I did and enjoyed the movie, but haven't decided to buy it yet.

14. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wow! great replies guys. thanks to all. i've been trying to rent it, but i recently cancelled my subscription to netflix and i cannot find it anywhere else. i don't think the fact that it's an older release will bother me too much.
    starblazers! yeah...that was it. i also think it was my first forway into anime. i remember getting up extra early in the morning just so i could catch it before school started!
    btw...happy b-day kong!
    again, thanks to all. this is definitely the place for anime questions!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

16. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

It may not be the best anime DVD out there but this is a great watch, IMO. If you like Wicked City, Ninja Scroll and such, I think you will like this anime.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

17. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Eww, Starblazers...I like the original name Space Battleship Yamato (uchuu senkan YAMATO).
    Great series that needs a better translation.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well...i just picked this up tonight. i popped in in real quick just to scan some of the scenes. looks interesting altough i detected some "flicker". anyway, i'm excited!
    if anyone's interested, i'll post something after i watch it...
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

19. erik bush

erik bush Agent

hehe. lain is my next purchase. and after cowboy bebop, trigun and neon genesis evangelion i was kinda happy it was only 4 discs. after that i think i will pick up the blue submarine #6 discs and then get to work on the 10 mobile suit gundam wing dvds. 11 if you count the movie.
    whew.
    i need a 2nd job to supplement my addiction.
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list
    "what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

20. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor