What's new

anime experts...evangelion question.... (1 Viewer)

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
hi everyone.
quick question.
id really like to pick up the evangelion series on dvd. on ebay i have seen a 8 disk set that sells for about $150. I have also seen a 3 disk set of the complete series that is about $40. i think it is from japan but looks like it's region free so i should have no problem playing the disk here.
anyone know what the differences are between these sets?
fwiw, id like the dvd's to have an english 5.1 soundtrack so i dont have to read subtitles. 26 episodes after all would make for quite a bit of reading...

Brian E

Screenwriter
The 3 disc set is a bootleg and of poor quality. The legit Japanese R2 release is 7 discs IIRC and are about $50 each, they also are in Japanese with no subs. You'll probably want the R1 release from ADV Films here in the US.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In Japan, they released 4 episodes per DVD, so it came out to 6.5 DVDs, and on the last DVD (the 7th) they put the first part of the first movie (Death & Rebirth(TRUE)^2).

In America, ADV put 4 episodes on the first 2 discs and then 3 on the remaining 6 discs. So its 8 discs total. The movies are being released by Manga Ent. later this year (hopefully).

There is no 5.1 track on any of the DVDs. There is an English stereo, but nothing more.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Any place that tells you that discs by Anime Cartoon International are legit, don't believe them.Treat any non-domestic anime coded Region 0 as bootleg until proven innocent. A lot of comic shops are selling these discs as legit because their distributors are telling them they are. If they refuse to remove these bootlegs, report them to the US rights holder or the MPAA

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
guys, thanks for the quick replies.
sounds like the adv american set is the way to go. anyone know of the best place to get these price wise, ebay or perhaps some of you know of a place on line that sells these for a good price.
thanks.
p.s i just watched a movie called "blood". some of the sweetest anime ive seen yet...if any of you hasnt watched it yet you should check it out.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I usually just use DVD Price Search since it looks up the lowest prices of any particular DVD/set sold by about a dozen of the top online retailers. Admittedly, the lowest anime prices can almost always be found at bestprices.com but it never hurts just to make sure.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
You should wait until ADV re-releases the first volume sans overlays (which are horrible and extremely in poor taste). ADV will be planning on releasing three versions of this newly remastered Vol. 1. This should be out sometime in Spring (as I think I've read).

However, due note, what you are going to watch is the TV-edit. The director's cut footages for episode 21-24 (available only on the Japanese R2 DVDs, that are not in the boxsets) are longer and ties in with the two upcoming movies.

The 8 disc set is the ADV version R1 DVD.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The added footage for the last few episodes is just footage that was in the first half of Death and Rebirth(TRUE)^2, so if you watch the movie, you'll see the footage anyway. That footage was actually edited into the episodes after the movies, not edited out for TV.

I heard ADV wasn't releasing the first two DVDs (sans overlays) until they release a box set of the whole series, if and when they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks