Anime Ending Spoiler Discussion Thread - Rahxephon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DaveGTP, Dec 3, 2003.

1. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Anime folks,

As I mentioned in the Advanced Anime thread, I am starting a thread to discuss the ending of Rahxephon. Actually, I thought about it, and this would be a useful thread for ending/spoiler discussion in general, as there are a few (NGE, Evangelion, Lain, etc) that are real mind$^&@ jobs. But the subject we'll stick with Rahxephon for this thread.

(NOTE to Software forum mods: In case you were wondering about another anime thread: We aren't taking over the forum, honest. [​IMG] We have put this thread into place to discuss spoilers, seperate from the anime thread, so as to make sure no one sees the spoiler material. Thanks! )

We saw the ending, and I admit I was pretty tired, but I was pretty confused. I understood that the Methusuleh guy was staying alive to see his scheming come to fruition, and that he created the genetically-engineered children, and that they were also Dolems, but I admit general confusion. I feel like a stupid American!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Stunt Coordinator

Yes they were, but I have a feeling that the ending wasn't what Methusuleh wanted to see, even though in the end he didn't see it anyway hehe. I would say that Ayato wanted a world in which he and Haruka could be together forever, and that is exactly how the world ended up because that is the way he tuned it. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seemed that, similar to NGE, Ayato was the one who decided the fate of the world. However he wished it to end, thats the way it was. He was wanting to be with Haruka and she wanted to be with him. Therefore, their world changed, but it changed for the better.

I do have a question, what was Dr. Kamina's role in the entire situation, other than being Ayato's creator and father? Did he have a large purpose that I somehow missed?

Mike

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

It didn't end up the way that the Methusuleh wanted - but I couldn't quite tell if Ayato rewound the clock and rewrote the world from scratch, or whether he just chose not to screw up the world. With them having a little Quan (that looked just like big Quan) as their daughter, I figured a re-write - plus the scene when the world was enveloped in the giant egg, with the giant cross in the background, and then the hatching sound definitely seemed to be saying rebirth.

I was a little lost on each of the character's actions as well - Ayato's father (Dr. Kamina) - the guy with the eyepatch, right? I was a little lost on what he did. The cat and blue bird seemed to have greater significance, but I felt like I missed it.

And what, precisely was the significance of the end-scene with Mishima & Ayato's meeting - the "How they met" scene? You should have seen the looks Stacey and I were giving each other. I laughed at her a bit though, since NGE was just as messed up (I won't discuss NGE too much, in case some have seen Rahxephon and not NGE).

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Oh no... not another one [​IMG] heheheh

So, let's talk about when we are gonna change the name of this forum to 'Anime Theater Forum', when is the change going to take place [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

hehehehe, spoiler galore here!!

Will post my IMO later on the subject.

6. Michael Morris

Dave,

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Hmm...I guess I did get that part last night (3:30am-ish), but kind of forgot it when I was thinking about it today (9:00am-ish). Not enough sleep, I guess. This series deserves another rewatch to really make it click, I think.

8. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The fiancee picked up the Rahxephon bible today at Waldenbooks, so I look at it tonight and see if it sheds any light on things...

10. Jesse Brickzin

Jesse Brickzin Stunt Coordinator

Finished up the series tonight..I'll give some sort of opinion sometime this weekend..I think i will need to pick up a copy of the Rahxephon bible myself.

11. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

BTW, I read this explanation over at the Anime on DVD Forums that made a lot of sense.

John.

12. Michael Morris

John,
    That is definitely a very interesting explanation. It backed up a lot about what I thought. The other night I decided to rewatch End of Eva in 6.1 Japanese Dts and it was amazing. I also noticed things I hadn't before. There are some very interesting similarities between the two shows, yet also very big differences that make them unique. I am very satisfied with the ending of RahXephon and I think they did a good job of answering any and all questions that had sprung up.

Mike

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

That was a useful link. I did indeed get most of the idea, I was just a little fuzzy on the details (kind of like NGE). Thanks!

14. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

No problem. I'm definitely going to rewatch it. I've just got to get through the 29 other series I need to rewatch first.

John.

15. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

The great thing about this series is that the movie concentrates on the love relationship between Ayato and Haruka. [​IMG]

The ending is what makes this movie all the more enjoyable. [​IMG]