What's new

Anime box sets or movie recommendations (like Cowboy Bebop) (1 Viewer)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I purchased the Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions box set without ever seeing an episode based on the glowing reviews of the show on here and a couple friends (plus reading about the series, I loved the concept).

But unfortunately, 26 episodes just aint enough. Does anyone have recommendations of Anime movies or series box sets that are similar, and by similar I mean: fantastic writing, deep characters, emotional music and situations. Granted, I bet there's nothing like Bebop but something half as good as Bebop is still good.

I do have Princess Mononoke, Metropolis, Ghost in the Shell and a friend let me borrow Evangelion. Anything out there I may not know about (I would appreciate any mini-review as well), I would thank you for any assistance and suggestions.

Thanks for any help..

One last question, any one know of a US retailer (preferably website, naturally) that sells Bebop merchandise (posters, calendars, figures, whatever)

Thanks!

Doug

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
You should do a search for the anime topic and look through there. We have lots of recommendations for those who are just starting out.

Everyone has their own taste, but as you grow, you'll find that you can go beyond the central taste and try out new stuff.

Give any of the extensive series a shot. They're always worth a look.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Also check out www.animeondvd.com for much more info abouit stuff... they recommend some really good stuff!
I'm not associated with it at all, I just love that site!
Jim;)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'll give you 3 very high recommendations: (I can't tell you they're like CB, 'cos I haven't seen it)

Tenchi Muyo OVA Box Set.

Very good quality and production value, funny as hell. 13 episodes on 2 discs + 1 disc encyclopedia. The best anime ever, IMO.

El Hazard OVA Box Set.

From the creators of Tenchi, same high quality. 7 Episodes on 2 discs. (And EH2 on disc 3, but I don't care much for that one)...

Serial Experiments Lain.

Low-key, suspense, mystery. 13 episodes on 4 discs. Very good voices and production.

And yeah, go to animeondvd.com lots of info there...

Bonus: (yeah just thought of that one)

Record of Lodoss War.

Epic Fantasy anime, very good if you're into this kind of show.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would have recommended Evangelion (my favorite anime series EVER) and Lain. Both really good and well written.

Though the Evangelion movies are coming out this year...you should grab them once you see the whole series.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Cowboy Bebop also comes on at 12:00 AM on Sun/early mon and Thu/early fri on Cartoon network

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend Castle of Cagliostro. It's somewhat similar to Bebop (action/adventure type story), but lighter. It's also a Miyazaki film (Mononoke, Nausicaa, Totoro, Kiki's delivery service, etc).

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread