Anime beginner, looking for good starting points...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_L_Kleis, May 2, 2002.

1. Brian_L_Kleis

Brian_L_Kleis Stunt Coordinator

OK, as I start this thread, please no huge lists of everything anime under the sun here... While now at 430 DVDs, I lack one catagory almost entirely - Anime.
    In the past, much that I've seen via the box has looked very shallow without much thought put into it. I've seen about four films (Akira, Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke). I've really enjoyed the very limited amount that I've seen and been really pleasantly surprised by the good, in-depth storylines of the above titles. I'm not really interested in the "fluff" of what I think is all the Dragonball-type stuff, but real ambitious films.
    Any great suggestions for beginners looking for well-done anime titles?
    Thanx,
    Brian
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

In addition to what you've mentioned so far, I'd add Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Metropolis to that list. Both are quite good.
    Assuming you are not just sticking to movies, I can also put out recommendations for Cowboy Bebop and Serial Experiments: Lain.
    For more research, go to Anime On DVD. They have a "recomended" section written up by the users and will give you good descriptions of what is being recommended. (I've personally written the ones for Princess Mononoke and Jubei-Chan.)
    Jason

3. James D

James D Second Unit

Some of the better anime titles that I have, besides the titles that you have already mentioned, are:
    Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis:Evangelion, Lain:Serial Experiments- all of these titles are box sets of a series
    Jin-Roh:The Wolf Brigade-Excellent
    Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust-Very good Goth/Vampire flick
    Metropolis-Great disc
    Ah, My Goddess-The Movie-a surprisingly good romantic anime
    Spriggan-Good action scenes
    I hope that this helps.[​IMG]

4. Wallace Mason

I recommend Grave of the Fireflies. The only movie that has ever made me cry. It's also the number one rated anime film on IMDB.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There have been a thousand threads on this, just do a search [​IMG]

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

7. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

What, no one stands up for Cardcaptor Sakura? It's one of my favorites. ^_^

8. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Although Cardcaptor Sakura is cute and by CLAMP and is a shoujo serise, it's not for everyone and definitely not for newbies who don't understand anime. Plus, with 72 episodes in the series (and 18 volumes on DVD, for both the R2 and R1 DVD), this is definitely not something you want newbies to start investing in until they get a feel for this type of genre.
    As for recommendations, read the other anime posts. I have listed my usual recommendation on that official anime post.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

OF course, the problem with those threads, is that it feels like they do list "everything anime under the sun" which is why it puts me off... Every title somebody has liked eventually gets listed, and then it started to defeat it's own purpose at least to someone like me that was just looking for some good starting points... (even though I certainly appreciate the effort)

But I've read throught the recommended section on animeondvd.com and thought it was great. Definitively the sort of list I was looking for, and what I would assume Brian was looking for as well.

11. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

I don't know much about anime, but I liked Ninja Scroll.

12. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

Escaflowne is one of the truly great 26 episode series.

I would also recomend Grave of Fireflies and Mononoke Hime, and basicly anything else by Studio Ghibli.

Cowboy Bebop isn't really a very artistic series, but it is very entertaining. Same with Trigun.

A great new series to check out is Hellsing. I believe that release date for that is July 24th.

13. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

The Robotech series is incredible. Rather lengthy and it's divided up into 3 different generations.

Jeff

14. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Stunt Coordinator

watch robotech, then watch macross, mosepdia and southern cross (the 3 different series robotech is made up of) and realize how badly robotech really chopped things up.

15. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

try to find "they were eleven". it is really good.

16. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Princess Mononoke, Akira, Perfect Blue, and Ghost in the Shell are definately ones to pick up, if you haven't already, since you like them.

I also reccommend:

Grave of the Fireflies

Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Ninja Scroll

Black Jack

17. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

Of all the anime I have, the Ghibli Studio box set is the one I treasure the most. Can't really find this in regular stores because it's a hong kong release. But you can find it on ebay. It contains all of Miyazaki's films done with studio ghibli, for the exception of the recent Spirit Away. It also has non-Miyazaki films, but his are the ones to watch first; like Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa. The other movies people here recommend are alright, but Miyazaki stuff are magical and inspiring.
    As for OVA and TV series: Cowboy Bebop and Trigun is a good place to start because it doesn't touch or don't touch too much on japanese culture.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

19. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

I have the set because it'll take quite a long time for Ghibli to release their entire category. I have the R2 double disc of Kiki and Totoro. Ocean Waves should be coming soon since it's the next in line.

20. SeanMc

SeanMc Agent

I can't believe noone has given any love to Record Of Lodoss War those 2 box sets rule!!