Animatrix (w/ CD) in Canada - Beware of the french packaging!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Martin Fontaine, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I just got back from the store with Animatrix (The version with the soundtrack CD in it) and when I opened it up, taking out the snapper and the CD from the slipcase and to my horror! The Snapper Case cover was all in french! Even though the outside Slip-Case was all in english.

While this is only true for people in the province of Quebec, just be careful, that black "Version Francaise" sticker on the shrinkwrap is not just to indicate that even though the outside slip case is all in english, there is still a french track on it but that the snapper inside is all french as well. That is why I didn't think it was the wrong copy. So I have to go back tomorrow to exchange for the proper one. As long as you don't open the snapper and jewel case inside (Which are shrinkwrapped on their own) you should have no problem getting it exchanged.

So just a warning, and also a rant that this french packaging business has GONE TOO FAR! It's one thing to make them available but to try to trick us into buying them by concealing it behind an english slip case crosses the line! This madness has got to stop!

2. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I always say, the best thing Quebec could have done for Canada, was seperate.

3. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

is the +cd version of the animatrix still in that crappy cardboard snapper case?

I thought from the packaging they'd use an amaray.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It's the single releases stuck in a box together.

5. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I have the canadian version of the normal Animatrix DVD, and that's all in english? Does this mean that now only a specific area of Canada (Quebec) has french covers?

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Artur, that would be sweet! It would suck for folks in Quebec but it would rock for the rest of us [​IMG].

7. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Warner Brothers have always released two separate products in Canada. One in English and one in French. The French version is usually available only in Quebec.

8. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

My point was that only the inside package (The Snapper containing the DVD) is in french. The Outside slip-case is identical for both versions. It's only a sticker on the shrinkwrap that tells you it's the french one, a sticker that could easily be mistaken for one of those "French version included" stickers they often put.

But that's sorted now, I exchanged my copy for an unpolluted one.

But that brings up another thing that's been happening lately. They did the same for Greek Wedding and now they did it again for Animatrix. Only the french case has a french track on it. So what is it? They have to make them because of the law, yet nobody buys them (Most people actually prefer the english cases just to be consistent with all their other DVDs they bought before the law, all they care about is that a french track is included) so now they needed to give people a reason to buy them. Very sad cause now the place I buy them will actually carry them...

That's about as sickening as knowing that 90% of francophones would prefer a P&S, Stereo VHS Tape of the french version of a movie instead of an anamorphic widescreen, DTS DVD yet would not have a problem watching a DivX, Camcorder-In-Theater Sourced AVI file in English OSL... Just unbelievable!

9. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

^ I know what you're trying to say Martin [​IMG] Mine was in response to Artur's post.