Animatrix Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Volume 1 is up and ready to roll. I've watched it twice now!

The first entry is entitled The Second Renaissance, Part 1, and it really rocks.

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/index_anime.html

Of course the whole series will be available on DVD this summer, but why not enjoy 'em now?

Some call this a clever marketing ploy, but if all marketing ploys were this intelligent and entertaining, I'd have no complaints.

2. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

it was pretty cool, but it was totally not what i expected in terms of how i envisioned how it all started. i mean because the features are live action, it's more reality based, while the animated shorts seem to be a little disconnected to reality. still quite entertaining though.

my question is, why does the release schedule continue months after all of them are released on DVD? the DLs will drop significantly once they're available on disc.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

aren't they releasing the rest (9 in total) after June? i'll have to check...

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

THE MATRIX is nowhere near realistic. Remember that we have seen very little of the "real world". We have no idea what civilization was like before the machines took over. I think the Animatrix episode that is up is a great introduction to the backstory of the machines. I loved every minute of it. I can't wait for the next one.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I'll be happy to join in. Glad you started this thread.

I've watched it twice, and it impressed me greatly each time. I also checked out the 1 minute+ Final Flight preview. The Matrix team isn't just using these as promotional tools. These are full-fledged additions and backstory info on the world of the Matrix. Throw in the video game, and it's quite a package. I thought the nine minute Part I was exceptional is conveying a lot of information in a short time. It used last century's inhumanity to quick effect. It foreshadowed Part II quite well, and I am almost as excited for that as I am for all of the other elements that will be unleashed soon.

Take care,
    Chuck

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Did anyone else feel that the style/ ideas in the Animatrix (and the way they are presented) is a little bit too reminiscent of the recent "Metropolis" anime? I was a little bit disappointed that they resembled each other stylistically...then again, most people watching these shorts haven't seen "Metropolis"...(just like most people watching the Matrix film had never seen "Ghost in the Shell"!) [​IMG]

Besides that gripe, I thought it was very well done and look forward to seeing more...

-Dennis

10. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

I thought the Second Renaissance, Part I was very well done and entertaining, if a little unoriginal. Looking forward to the second one.

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Considering we've only seen ONE episode of the Animatrix, I am not sure it's even a valid question.

As to T2R Part I, I found it very, very similar to a pastiche of 20th century inhumanity sewn together as a narrative background. That said, I have not seen Metropolis, but I have already heard that claim elsewhere. But almost all themes covered in T2R have been covered long before Metropolis. In fact, check the comics section of the website. The comic T2R is based on PRE-dates Metropolis, so that claim is out the window. Perhaps they were both inspired from the same thing.

In response to the general Matrix "rip-off" claims, I have heard it said that The Matrix is a carbon copy of GitS, Terminator (which itself owes Harlan Ellison a great debt), and The Invisibles indiviually. Not to mention other various anime bits I have heard. So which one is it ripping off. It seems it's a copy of a copy. That doesn't make the first copy original. Occam's Razor leads me to believe that ALL of the above use similar source material. No ONE story among them can claim originality. Much like SW is a conglomeration of previous films and ideas, The Matrix is the same.

I find The Matrix more and more fascinating as we delve deeper.

Take care,
    Chuck

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The Wachowski brothers have this really broad vision, and I think using every possible medium to deliver it (anime, CGI, live-action, comics, videogames) is the best way.

13. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

I noticed quite a few similarities in the debate over whether machines were property. Similar debates were had over slaves in 19th century America.

Do you think the humans were to blame for this? Should those machines have been treated as people or as property?

The answer to this question could impact the heroics of Neo, Morpheus and Trinity in the Matrix films...could humanity be getting what they deserve?

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Chris-

It goes back to whether or not the robots should be considered equal to humans. Robots, unlike slaves, are not human and were artificially created.

Even so, the way the story is told is VERY interesting and I'm eager to see how far everything goes.

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I can't wait for the next one. Very good.

16. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

Metropolis anime is base on the Metropolis comic from the 60s which is based on Fritz Lang's Metropolis from the 20s. The mechanical designs are very similar between Metropolis and SR but the character designs are polar opposites. So with respect to who ripped of who, well, there you go. [​IMG]

I liked this, but it was too short. [​IMG] I am eager to see the rest, I think this is a great project

17. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I also noticed the ressemblance with Metropolis. I also recognized the man-servant robots from the comic book samples included with the original Matrix DVD and found on the official Web site.

The Wachowski Brothers were heavily inspired by Japanese mangas and anime when they made The Matrix. But to say the movie and the animated short are a direct copy of one of these sources may be stretching it a bit. Technological themes have always been popular in both book and movie form. The Wachowski Brothers simply introduced a new vehicle for the subject matter.

Promotional vehicle or not, The first Animatrix short is definitely not kids stuff. This may be the first time I saw signs of intelligent life in an American made animated production, moving away from the popular concept that the medium is normally destined for children or impressionable teenagers. It ain't an overly sweetened Disney flick, and it ain't a silly soft-core romp like "Heavy Metal". For a very long time, I thought this type of creative and intelligent filmmaking was uniquely a Japanese phenomena.

Can't wait for this DVD to come out!

18. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

I felt there were several styles in that first episode. I felt JinRoh, Metropolis, Battle Angel, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scrolls.

It's bloody brilliant I say. Best movie promo EVER!

19. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

IIRC means If I Remember Correctly.