What's new

Animatrix and the Matrix movies (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Can someone recommend the correct order to watch the anime shorts in relation to the 2 movies?

Thanx

Andy

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I was one of the lucky few to see a theatrical presentation of ANIMATRIX (at the Seattle International Film Festival) and they were presented in different order than on the DVD. Other than the 2-part story that tells the origin of the war, I don't think the order matters very much.

I noticed the soundtrack to one of the shorts contained the famous "Wilhelm" scream as heard in all the Star Wars movies, Pixar movies, etc. (I was able to confirm this with the director of the short, who was present that evening. He and his sound guy put it in as an Easter Egg, wondering if anybody would find it.) A "No-Prize" will be promptly mailed to the first member who can tell me where the scream is. :)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Thanks, but I already have a real Marvel No-Prize, I don't need yours! But I also heard the Willhelm scream, and I was curious if I was the only one who noticed it!

D

DAN NEIR

I just watched it over the weekend, I would say as far as order goes:
1 The Second Renaissance Parts 1 and 2
The Matrix
2 A Kid's Story (because this tells the tale of the guy who comes up to Neo, Trinity and Morpheus when the ship docks at Zion in the beginning)
3 I would say watch Final Flight of the Osiris ( which tells you how they know the machines are digging down to Zion)
The Matrix Reloaded
4 As far as the rest of the stories go I think they could have taken place either before the Matrix or before Reloaded. Even Detective Story with Trinity could have taken place before or after the 1st Matrix.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Watch them in any order you want, but save "The Second Renaissance" for last. You'll be glad you did :)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Damn, now I am almost mad I asked :)

I guess there is no real correct order seeing the various recommendations people have made...

Andy

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I guess there is no real correct order seeing the various recommendations people have made...
This is true. There is no correct order. I saw The Animatrix cinematically, and the order the shorts were shown in there was different from what I understand to be the order of the DVD to be.

Apparently, the order of the DVD is:

* Final Flight Of The Osiris
* The Second Renaissance Part One
* The Second Renaissance Part Two
* Kid's Story
* Program
* World Record
* Beyond
* A Detective Story
* Matriculated

However, the cinematic order was something like:
* The Second Renaissance Part One
* The Second Renaissance Part Two
* Program
* Beyond
* World Record
* Matriculated
* Kid's Story
* A Detective Story
* The Final Flight Of The Osiris

Which, as you can see, is quite different.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I have a question. Is it just me, or does the female crew member (the gunner) in FFOTO look a lot like Aki Ross??? :) It would be cool if they used her again, I think...

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Arthur:

On TechTV, the special on the Matrix, the creators said they just reused the Aki model, gave her a new haircut, and boom, new character!

Good eye!

Eric F

Screenwriter
Oh lord, I guess us over 30 types have one foot in the grave.

I concur with Ricardo, it's pretty irrelevant as each story stands alone (with the exception of Reneissance).

Just put the disk in and press PLAY.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It looked like Squaresoft also re-used the same guy from Final Fantasy for the captain of the Osiris as well (just made him more scruffier).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, yesterday I enjoyed for the first time:

Final Flight of the Osiris:
Beautiful and exciting vignette. Enjoyed the animation quite a bit.

World Record:
Decent, very cool animation, but little point...besides being a nifty idea.

Kid's Story:
Looked great, neat little story.

Will be watching Beyond and Matriculated tonight, plus some of the extras. At 14.99, this was an excellent purchase for me.

Take care,
Chuck

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I watched all 9 this morning...and just loved em...I didnt really care for Matriculated that much...but beautiful animation...loved Detective Story...and The Second Renaissance 1&2...those are my faves...Kids Story was great as well...

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Matriculated didn't do much with what was an interesting idea...loved Beyond, SR1&2, and while Program wasn't much new the animation was flat out stunning.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Highly recommend this DVD to anyone even remotely interested in the Matrix movies. Outstanding work. I really enjoyed the new ideas presented in World Record and Matriculated. My least favorite (but still worthwhile) stories were Program and Detective Story.

Since the Second Renaissance is told from the perspective of a (possibly) machine re-built Zion Mainframe archive I wonder how accurate it is...

OT

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The weakest link was 'World Record', it had an interesting animation style but I didn't think much of it.
'Detective Story' didn't amount to much and had a duff ending.
'Beyond' was well animated but went on for too long and was a bit dull.
The others were all great, my favorite being the surreal 'Matriculated', by the guy who did Aeon Flux of which I'm a big fan.
'Program' and 'Kid's Story' had interesting animation and were both enjoyable.
Second Renaissance is invaluable to Matrix fans showing how it all begun with some amazing animation.
And 'Final Flight of the Osiris' had absolutely stunning CGI from the Final Fantasy team and is a sort of prequel to Matrix Reloaded, it looked great on the big cinema screen.

1)Matriculated
2)Second Renaissance 1-2
3)Final Flight of the Osiris
4)Program
5)Kid's Story
6)Detective Story
7)Beyond
8)World Record

Diallo B

Screenwriter
I really liked World Record. I think that the point of the short was explained in the beginning narraration. Basically, most folks come to learn that 'some rules can be bent, others can be broken' through the revelation that there is something not quite real about their environment. The athlete in World Record came to know this through the sheer will of wanting to be a better athlete. It was further demonstrated at the end of the short when he performed his second feat.

I thought that it was excellent along with Matriculated. I had already seen most of the others. Beyond was okay. However, I feel that they are all invaluable to anyone interested in The Matrix mythos.

djb

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAR
Recent bookmarks