What's new

animated Tick on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but if it is a parody it doesn't matter. Silent Bob can dress up and act like Batman in Mallrats, and Jay can fight like Luke Skywalker in JSBSB, it is not a violation. Austin Powers can be chased by a paper mache creature that looks a lot like Godzilla ("but due to international copyright laws, is not"), too.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If The Tick were taken to a judge, there's no way that The Tick would lose. They must simply not even want to pay their own legal department to prove that this story is fine.
That's two episodes I need in higher quality, now.
This is exactly right.
Disney may have the complete legal right to release the two episodes that feature "Fantastic Four" elements, one is an obvious parody and comparing the other one to the "Fantastic Four" counterpart is such a stretch that they probably have nothing to worry about.
The thing you have to take into account with these DVD's is that "The Tick" isn't "Lost" or "Seinfeld" or "Chappelle's Show" or any of the other TV released on DVD that have massive sales numbers.
As unfortunate as I think it is I have to be honest with myself and I can't see "The Tick" being an insanely profitable DVD release for Disney and you have to acknowledge the fact that pursuing the legalities of these supposed disputes with Marvel Comics (which, like I said, is pretty obviously the culprit by this point) is gonna eat into what little profits "The Tick" is gonna make in the first place.
Assuming it is Marvel behind this (and I think there's enough evidence to suggest that they are) I think some serious grass-roots action needs to be taken to get Marvel to realize what bullshit this is. I know as editor-in-chief he's pretty much only "top dog" of the actual comic publication but I believe current EIC Joe Quesada is pretty accessible to online fans and he's certainly in a position to bring the situation to the attention of the suits.
The whole thing just seems like total "sour graping" on their part. These episodes pose no threat to Marvel.
edit: I shot off an email to Marvel EIC Joe Quesada. If I hear back from him (I'm not holding my breath) I'll let everyone know what he has to say.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I just watched an episode of The Venture Brothers, an animated tv show (one of the voices is the actor who played the live-action Tick by the way!), and the episode had four members of the Fantastic Four in it. And it was on DVD. They had Mr. Fantastic (renamed Dr. Incredible), the Human Torch, the Thing, and the Invisible woman (who could only turn her skin invisible in this comedic version).
Just more evidence that the comic book companies made no complaint against Buena Vista on any Tick episodes -- just Buena Vista playing it safe. Boo.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
In July (2004) Marvel sued Disney, claiming it was owed at least $16 million on the cartoons. In that case, filed in L.A. Superior Court, Marvel claimed that Disney did not properly account for profits from "The Incredible Hulk," "X-Men" and "Spider-Man" and failed to promote the television series.
The release of "The Venom Saga" came after all the Marvel/Disney litigation but I think that release sheds some light on the "Tick" situation because it took a long long time to come out (TVshowsonDVD first mentioned it in February of 2004 and after many delays it was released in June of 2005).
To me it looks like Disney can release Marvel-related Saban stuff but not easily.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Will_B said:
And it was on DVD. They had Mr. Fantastic (renamed Dr. Incredible), the Human Torch, the Thing, and the Invisible woman (who could only turn her skin invisible in this comedic version).
Just more evidence that the comic book companies made no complaint against Buena Vista on any Tick episodes -- just Buena Vista playing it safe. Boo.
Batman Beyond had an episode called http://anbat.toonzone.net/bb/heroes.html

David*W

Agent
Just though I'd mention, a UK release for the Tick season 1 has been announced for this August. The contents for the release have been passed by the BBFC and it contains all 13 episodes.
N/A (THE TICK COMPLETE SEASON 1 )
N/A BLANK
00:20:10:02 THE TICK - THE TICK VS.THE IDEA MEN
N/A BLANK
00:18:32:14 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. CHAIRFACE CHIPPENDALE
N/A BLANK
00:21:07:19 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. DINOSAUR NEIL
N/A BLANK
00:18:44:14 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. MR. MENTAL
N/A (THE TICK COMPLETE SEASON 1)
N/A BLANK
00:18:53:23 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. THE BREADMASTER
N/A BLANK
00:19:49:21 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. EL SEED
N/A BLANK
00:20:28:05 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. THE TICK
N/A BLANK
N/A (THE TICK COMPLETE SEASON 1 )
N/A BLANK
00:12:59:08 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. THE UNCOMMON COLD
00:07:23:23 (THE TICK - THE VS. THE UNCOMMON COLD)
N/A BLANK
00:20:30:19 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. BRAINCHILD
N/A BLANK
00:20:28:17 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. PINEAPPLE POKOPO
N/A BLANK
N/A THE TICK COMPLETE SEASON 1 )
N/A BLANK
00:20:31:05 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. THE MOLE-MEN
N/A BLANK
00:20:30:20 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. THE PROTO-CLOWN
N/A BLANK
00:20:28:16 THE TICK - THE TICK VS. ARTHUR'S BANK ACCOUNT
N/A BLANK
Here's the DVD
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/33854...1/Product.html
The rights holder in the UK is Liberation Entertainment

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
David*W said:
a UK release for the Tick season 1 has been announced...and it contains all 13 episodes. The rights holder in the UK is Liberation Entertainment
Amazing. Buena Vista are ***sies!*
If it weren't for the PAL-ness of the UK set I'd buy those instead.
*Sissies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks