Animated Prequels?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Floto, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I see that on May 11th they are releasing Van Helsing: The London Assignment on DVD. This is an animated prequel to the upcoming theatrical release of Van Helsing...and features the voice of that film's star, Hugh Jackman.

I also see that on June 15th they are releasing an animated prequel to the upcoming Chronicles of Riddick starring the voice of Vin Diesel and titled, Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury. This is supposed to bridge the gap between Pitch Black and the new film.

My question is...does anyone know anything about these prequels? Are they feature-length? What kind of animation can I expect? Theatrical-quality? TV-quality?

I guess I just want to know if they are worth my effort...

Thanks for any info!

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Given the studio, I would say don't expect animation quality any better than The Land Before Time sequels. I believe these are produced in-house.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I believe that each animated prequel is about 30 minutes in length or so

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Isn't Riddick made by Peter Chung, he of Aeon Flux fame (as well as Animatrix and some other interesting stuff).

5. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Yeah, Peter Chung is doing the Riddick animated flick. Both films are about 30 minutes in length, presented in Anamorphic Widescreen and cost $14.98 each. I don't expect "Animatrix" quality from either disc, but I'll be checking both of them out.

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    If Chung is directing, that raises my hopes a little, but it depends on how much stuff is farmed out. Animation ain't cheap.