Animated Motion Pictures on DVD (releases and re-releases we'd like to see)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill Burns, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I posted this as a reply to another, broader topic on the Software forum, but thought this might be a still better place for it. Rather than television/home video animation, which seem to get plenty of coverage, this will hopefully give studios who check this forum an idea of what feature animation we'd like to see either released (those films not yet out) or re-released (those films out in lackluster editions). My own requests are for Region 1 releases, as I understand a couple of these might be out overseas.

And so, here are the top five titles I'd most like to see, and would certainly purchase, on the DVD format, and they are all titles I also feel would readily find an audience, and thus prove profitable as (re)releases, with nothing more than a minimal amount of advertising and a brick-and-mortar presence (lack of B&M support continues to hamper silent film releases, IMO):

1. Anamorphic reissue of Fox's 1997 Anastasia

2. Anamorpic widescreen edition of Richard Rich's The Swan Princess (two direct-to-video sequels followed this theatrical feature)

3. Anamorpic reissue of Disney's The Black Cauldron

4. Anamorphic widescreen edition of The Last Unicorn

5. Anamorphic widescreen edition of Transformers: The Movie

That's roughly in order from most important to least important, and again, I'm the first in line to buy any and all of these, should the studios come through. 1, 2, and 4 would also, it seems to me, prove prime candidates for cast commentaries, which would up their value to adult audiences and collectors. These aren't the only pieces of feature animation in need of (re)treatment on DVD, but among titles not yet announced, they're the five that top my list. Anastasia resides with Fox, The Swan Princess was issued in a P&S (it looks cropped to my eyes, as opposed to open matte) laserdisc edition by Turner, but just who owns it now I'm not sure (Columbia/TriStar released it to theatres, I believe), The Black Cauldron is Disney, The Last Unicorn I'm also unsure about in the rights department, and Transformers: The Movie has been issued in an open matte (or so they say [​IMG]) full frame DVD edition by Rhino, and that's a pleasant disc, but the film deserves a full special edition, anamorphic OAR (theatrical AR) release.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It would be wonderful if Miramax released "The Thief and the Cobbler" to DVD in restored director's cut form. See www.geocities.com/eddie_bowers/ for info on how the film was butchered before the 1995 release.

Also, I think Fox or Paramount has the rights to "Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure"

Both are wonderful animated films with the distinction of being filmed in Panavision...few animated films are made in true widescreen.

If Miramax doesn't want to release "Thief," they should seriously consider farming it out to Criterion. The film is a lot like Brazil in the way the studio fought with the filmmakers (sadly, Thief was never released in the original cut...only the "Aladdin clone" cut)

3. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I agree completely about Panavision, Patrick. Scope films in general, and this certainly includes animated films, are wonderfully served by careful, anamorphic representation on DVD. I should mention that among the titles in my list, Anastasia and The Black Cauldron are both Scope films (I'm unsure about The Black Cauldron, but Anastasia is actually credited to CinemaScope in its end credits, which seems odd for a 1997 feature, but nevertheless ...); the former is currently available from Fox on a disc that presents both its 2.35:1 OAR and a P&S version, but the OAR version is, unfortunately, non-anamorphic. Aaliyah hosts a behind-the-scenes promo piece on the disc, and with her passing in the time since the disc came out, a brief retrospective on her contribution to the film, and her career, might prove a nice touch on any reissue. The latter of the two, The Black Cauldron, is available from Disney in its OAR, but, again, it is not presented anamorphically.

I haven't seen the titles you mentioned, but given that they're Panavision pictures, I'm certainly intrigued, and would gladly pick them up should Miramax issue them in quality anamorphic editions.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'll add one more...

Another Panavision film, Alakazam The Great. I caught this on TV (in pan & scan, however...) and it looks really neat. A 2.35:1 DVD would definately be better.