Animated HOBBIT & RETURN OF THE KING -- any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenneth English, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

I love J.R.R. Tolkein's books, but I've never seen the animated movies (BTW: why did they skip The Two Towers?). Are either of them any good? The cover art on both does not look promising (IMHO)...

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

My wife's the real Tolkien nut of the house, so I'm gonna mangle this, I'm sure...
    Bankin-Rass had the rights first and did "The Hobbit" for TV. It was liked and did well, so an animated film (live was out of the question back then; FX weren't good enough and would cost too much) was okayed for theatres. Since Bakshi was more "Respected" at the time, he got the nod for "LoTR", which actually encompassed the entire first book, Fellowhip, and the first half or so of the 2nd Book, Two Towers. It was ill-received, and so the rights for the sequel were revoked, and instead went back to Rankin-Bass for the follow-up, Return of the King, as another made-for-TV. Since they had no obligation to pick up right where Bakshi had left off, they just concentrated on the 3rd book itself...perhaps that's all the rights specified.
    Tonight I'll have the missus read this, and then post corrections, if noone beats me to it. In the meantime, check out great fan sites like http://www.theonering.net
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

THE HOBBIT is actually quite good. The animation is limited by budget constraints, but the cast is great and the script quite good. THE RETURN OF THE THE KING is not quite as successful, unfortunately. The goofy songs get in the way of the story and the script just wasn't as good.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

One word to describe these movies(ALL OF THEM):Blasphemy
    Wait until PJ's movies to keep your brain unsoiled(of course, if PJ blasphemes, I will lead the lynch mob)
    Jeff Kleist

5. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just got the three screeners yesterday,
    but I also have THE NEVERENDING STORY
    to screen as well.
    Look for some reviews on Thursday.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Tom Ryan:
    Forgive me. For a moment, I was cixelsyd. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

8. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I just finished watching "The Hobbit" and, while I enjoyed the show, the video quality is pretty poor. Colors fluctuate frequently, many scenes are grainy and dirty, there are a fair number of blemishes, and scenes often turn very soft and hazy. It's not unwatchable but it certainly ain't pretty. Audio is a fairly non-descript, but serviceable, mono mix.