What's new

Animated Films in Public Domain? (1 Viewer)

50th Street Studio

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith McCaffety
Here at 50th Street Studio, we're showing public domain films every Saturday evening. (This weekend is Manos the Hands of Fate. Here's the complete schedule through February - - http://50th.st/index.php/saturdaypublicdomainmoviefest/ )

My plan is to show animated films in April, one of which would be Mr. Bug Goes to Town, but I'm learning that it's not actually public domain?? (Regardless, I want to find a really good release.)

Other choices might be Animal Farm (1954), The Mascot (1933), Our Mr. Sun / Hemo the Magnificent (1956/57) and a Betty Boop / Popeye marathon.

Any other suggestions?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The Max Fleischer version of Gulliver’s Travels (1939) is in the public domain, which may have been what you were thinking of when you thought Mr. Bug Goes to Town was public domain.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are you showing film prints or just projected DVD’s and Blu-ray’s?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just curious. What kind of digital downloads. From where?

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
You might want to pay more due diligence as to what you consider to be public domain. Straight off, I can assure you that three of the twelve films on your current schedule are actually copyrighted. They are: the 20th Century Fox Hour adaption of Miracle on 34th Street (1955), Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) and Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982, "Turkish Star Wars").

Unfortunately, from the titles mentioned in your OP, as well as Hoppity/Mr. Bug, which are all also copyrighted, it looks as though you plan to do the opposite. Interesting that your first screening was Sita Sings the Blues (2008) as its maker, Nina Paley, ended up losing a fortune and all rights to the film when she incorrectly assumed that the old songs she used were fully PD and got sued.

By the way, Wikipedia, IMDb and the Internet Archive are not reliable resources for definitively ascertaining PD status.

50th Street Studio

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith McCaffety
You might want to pay more due diligence as to what you consider to be public domain. Straight off, I can assure you that three of the twelve films on your current schedule are actually copyrighted. They are: the 20th Century Fox Hour adaption of Miracle on 34th Street (1955), Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) and Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982, "Turkish Star Wars").

Unfortunately, from the titles mentioned in your OP, as well as Hoppity/Mr. Bug, which are all also copyrighted, it looks as though you plan to do the opposite. Interesting that your first screening was Sita Sings the Blues (2008) as its maker, Nina Paley, ended up losing a fortune and all rights to the film when she incorrectly assumed that the old songs she used were fully PD and got sued.

By the way, Wikipedia, IMDb and the Internet Archive are not reliable resources for definitively ascertaining PD status.

LOLOL
You'll pardon me if I disregard you. Good lord, get your facts straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks