What's new

Animated Features Missing In Action... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE LAST UNICORN
AMERICAN TAIL
AMERICAN TAIL II
ALLEGRO NON TROPPO
TWICE UPON A TIME
FIRE AND ICE
WIZARDS
and I would add:
SECRET OF NIMH (OAR)
LAND BEFORE TIME (OAR)
MAKE MINE MUSIC (Uncut)
no doubt you all can add to this...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well ... As everybody knows, the following Disney Classics have not been released to Region 1 DVD yet, even in basic form, but will be over the course of the next three years:

Sleeping Beauty (September 2003)
The Lion King (October 2003)
Aladdin (July 2004?)
Bambi (July 2005?)
Cinderella (October 2005?)

... And then there's Song of the South ...

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
THE PLAGUE DOGS, from the director of Watership Down, another animated adaptation of a Richard Adams novel.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"The Chipmunk Adventure"...

MGM holds the rights to this now (through their acquisition of the Samuel Goldwyn library), and I'd like to see them do something with it (in 16X9 widescreen).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sun goes down, I'm just getting up...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll second PLAGUE DOGS. The current R2 edition has scenes missing and is full scrren.

Also, TARZOON: SHAME OF THE JUNGLE. It would be nice to have it with both the original soundtrack and the National Lampoon track.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Thief and the Cobbler.

It has been rumored that Disney had or is having people work on finishing the film and restoring it. If so, it would be wonderful to finally see the completed film in theaters and on DVD. Ironically, this could be one of the greatest animated films of all time if we could get to see the director's cut.

See www.geocities.com/eddie_bowers for info and some clips from the workprint.

Best of all, this is one of the few animated features shot in Panavision.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
There's an anamorphic widescreen edition of The Last Unicorn* out in Germany (David Lambert brought this disc to my attention), but nothing here in the States. I'll gladly decry the need for a native NTSC Region 1 anamorphic OAR DVD of this film, perhaps with cast/filmmaker retrospective interviews or commentary (Jeff Bridges would probably be willing, given his contributions to Tron).

The title I'm most eager to see remains The Swan Princess (the feature film from Richard Rich, not his direct-to-video sequels, though I'm sure they have their fans -- I've seen them, and for me it's all about the first, particularly when gauging appeal for adult audiences), in anamorphic widescreen, and again with cast/filmmaker interviews and/or commentary. I say "most" not because it's my favorite piece of feature animation not yet on the format** (though it's close -- I'd classify it as an unsung classic), but because I fear it'll be the longest in coming. A great, moving gem of a picture, with a terrific voice cast (Jack Palance, Sandy Duncan, Steven Wright, John Cleese) and, yes, I insist that "Princesses on Parade" is a tribute to Singin' in the Rain's "Beautiful Girl." :) Copy? No, no ... tribute! Heh. Anyway, this is also out overseas (in the UK, from Columbia), but no sign of it yet in the States. I first caught it (multiple times) in theatres, and eagerly anticipate its charm in lovely anamorphic widescreen at home.

*By the way, here's a project I'd heard nothing about until today: Link Removed

** My first hope is an anamorphic reissue of Don Bluth/Gary Goldman's brilliant 1997 feature for Fox Animation, Anastasia, with more extensive making of material than can be found on the current non-anamorphic OAR disc (a P&S version is also included), including cast/filmmaker interviews/commentary ... and perhaps a (family friendly -- no clips from her final feature!) tribute of some sort for Aaliyah, who sings a song in the film and hosts the promo/documentary behind-the-scenes look found on the current disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks