What's new

Animals' version of Ring of Fire!! (1 Viewer)

Greg Smith

Grip
OMG!!

Disclaimer: Johnny wrote (or performed) the original Ring of Fire, as I understand it. If not, then ignore my idiot ramblings. BUT...if the Animals did a remake of this, then...

What a remake!! Just a great song. Just heard it for the first time and I immediately thought it was one of the best remakes of any song I had ever heard.

Highly recommended.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Haven't heard it, but always liked the ANIMALS, and Eric Burdon.

I had his version of 16 TONS on cd (from the movie JOE & THE VOLCANO, I believe), so he and the other Animals were probably quite sympatico with country, as well as R&B.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
There are many permutations of the Animals. (The original with Alan Price on keyboards, the post-Alan Price Animals when they were doing "When I Was Young" "Sky Pilot" etc., and the Animals that Eric Burdon has put together throughout the years after he finished his stint with War.)

In what year was this record recorded?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Another version of "Ring of Fire" is by Social Distortion (a punk-ish band). I remember listening to this song without any idea that it was a remake until I was in my parents car and they had the oldies station on. I was like "HEY! I know that song!!!!" :D

There's a link to a sample of Social Distoritions' version on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
June Carter Cash wrote Ring Of Fire for Johnny.
The Animals version appears on their Love Is album, a double LP that was recorded in late 1968 in Los Angeles. It's the only Eric Burdon record I ever liked, and I like it a lot. Went through a least two copies of the 12" vinyl version. The first time I saw it on CD was an expensive Japanese import that I grabbed up quickly.
"Love Is" was a trippy album, literally. I know more about its conception than I'm willing to go into here.
Having spent a good amount of my life flipping through records, I've always been under the impression that it was a rare disc. Which probably translates into, "Most people hated it."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks