What's new

Animal House and Sam Cooke (1 Viewer)

StephenALT

Agent
Has anyone purchased the new edition of Animal House and does it have the Sam Cooke song "What a Wonderful World" (aka "Don't Know Much about History"). That's the song that's playing when John Belushi loads up his tray in the cafeteria line. It is in both the film and cable versions, however, due to one of those notorious rights issues, it was replaced by different material for the VHS/CED/Laserdisc release. (Other songs were replaced too, all with compositions by Stephen Bishop, but that is the most dramatic.)

I've never owned any of the DVD versions but have always hoped that the situation was corrected for posterity. I suppose the Stephen Bishop tune isn't bad--but the imprint made by John Belushi and that Sam Cooke tune is so strong, I have difficulty watching the film without it.

Thanks!
Stephen

PS Does anybody know of other issues like this? For example, the mid-70's film "House Calls" made excellent use of "Something"--but it was switched for video, too. Also, "Slap Shot" is missing a tune that I used to see on when it was on cable.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oooh, oh yeah, House Calls had 'Something' on the soundtrack. Man, I'd forgotten about that.

Rock music in movies is like, a cliche now, but when thoughfully used for added emotional impact, it can be great. Johnny Boy's entrance in Scorsese's, Mean Streets to 'Jumping Jack Flash' is great. Actually, all songs in the movie are used to amazing effect. Actually, all music in Scorsese's movies is ingenious. :D

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks