What's new

Animal Crossing New Horizons (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone playing? I went in reluctantly. I don't like 'cutesy' games. I am pleasantly surprised to find it both relaxing managing my island and fun playing the Turnip Stalk market. I have not gotten to terraforming yet, but Nintendo's tool has been pretty panned for it. This user made tool looks like the way forward.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I am playing this with my kids, 3 or 4 hours a day between the three of us, since we got it in early April. We just reached the terraforming tool. It has been a good time suck for us while stuck at home. My daughter played first, so most of the island building tasks went through her. My house is further along because I am more goal oriented then either child. My daughter likes designing clothes in the pro tool. There are some nice Easter eggs in the museum, if you haven’t found them yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this just SimCity with Nintendo style? A resource management game?

everyone is playing it. I’m tempted, but...for example, Town management in FO4 was the worst part of the game for me. Cooking in Zelda was neat, but I liked it as a small respite from the adventure. An entire game centered on learning recipes and managing inventory would not be fun for me. In D3, I like the fighting, but managing gear and inventory across myself and Followers is the least interesting part of the game.

so...is Animal Crossing basically all that stuff I don’t really get into made into a game? Or is there a story and questing and problem solving stuff?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Is this just SimCity with Nintendo style? A resource management game?

everyone is playing it. I’m tempted, but...for example, Town management in FO4 was the worst part of the game for me. Cooking in Zelda was neat, but I liked it as a small respite from the adventure. An entire game centered on learning recipes and managing inventory would not be fun for me. In D3, I like the fighting, but managing gear and inventory across myself and Followers is the least interesting part of the game.

so...is Animal Crossing basically all that stuff I don’t really get into made into a game? Or is there a story and questing and problem solving stuff?
Animal Crossing has been a staple for Nintendo consoles since the N64. You basically move to a town, buy a house, remodel and decorate it when you have the money. You collect artwork, bugs, fossils, and fish for the town museum or your personal collection. You make friends and trade things with them. There’s no element of Zelda-style dungeon crawling or action/adventure. Every Animal Crossing game I’ve played is basically a very entertaining time suck. If I still had a Switch, I would be playing this now but I can’t justify buying one again just to play one game.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Never played this on past systems. Don’t think I’d even heard of it for 64 or GC. But that’s just me, this wasn’t my thing back then.

I’m growing tempted just because the zeitgeist is so massive!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1590758772471.png

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
So I’ve been trying this move your rocks to a rock garden thing and I was getting really frustrated with the mannequins. It is very hard to tell if you have the right grid spacing. After a week, the rocks kept respawning in little gaps I had left between mannequins and objects. Looking at the little spaces where the rocks kept coming in and looking at the rest of my mannequins, I finally concluded that I couldn’t be confident that the rocks would land where I wanted them. So I decided to pave paradise.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Benefits of paving:
You can see the underlying grid so you know you aren’t leaving any gaps.
It’s a single button click to lay down your paving stone as opposed to navigating through a menu for every mannequin.
You can run across your paving as opposed to bumping into the mannequins.

Drawbacks of paving:
You have to cover every open square as opposed to a subset with mannequins.
You have to repeat the whole thing to clean up at the end as opposed to the single design change poofing all your mannequins.

It took me about two hours to pave paradise, but it will be worth it if it works. Hopefully I’ll be back in a week with a completed rock garden.

One other tip not mentioned in the video Sam posted (or at least I didn’t catch it): there can only be three rocks in a map grid square so to get six rocks in your garden, your garden needs to straddle a map grid boundary. You can see the grid lines in the map (dotted white lines) to help in deciding where to put your garden.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
If you haven’t tried it yet, I recommend the Turnip Prophet app for your real life phone. Somebody reverse engineered the algorithm that sets the turnip prices and someone else converted that knowledge into an app that helps you maximize your return on the stalk market. Give it a go.

My turnip garden:
image.jpg

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
We had a night of shooting stars 2 days ago. I grabbed up all the star fragments and made the wand/closet. When my daughter saw it, she was jealous. So we decided to time travel back to the shooting star night so that she could make her wishes and then time travel again to the next morning so she could grab her fragments.

Good news: she was able to get all of the star fragments she needed.
Bad news: time travel makes your turnips go rotten. 6500 turnips in my garden all destroyed.
Good news: time travel made the rocks spawn faster and they are landing in my rock garden (yeah!).

Last weekend I got the free trial for Nintendo online and went to visit my nephews island to pick up the fruit I was missing. After time travel messed up my stalk market profits, I decided to use time travel to accelerate my all fruit orchard. By the end of the afternoon, I had a mature orchard and two rounds of fruit made up for my missing turnip profits. No more time travel from here on out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks