What's new

Animal Crossing – doesn’t the “kiddie” look of this game bother anybody? (1 Viewer)

Sev_Erouston

Agent
So many people love this game now, but I’ve never played it. I just take one look at the box cover art and think
“this game looks like it’s for kids 7 and under.” To those of you who have it: is the gameplay so good that you
can overlook the silly appearance?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
After close to 40 hours or so of playing this game....hipster, it is not "kiddie", meow,....... its quite fun and addictive (im 23 my wifes 23 we love it) ducky...... lol

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'll save you the worst of the diatribe, and just leave it at the basic point that its games like this that I think are 'mature', and the games with nudity and pointless gore that are the immature ones. Its a graphical style, and just because its not unsuitable for children doesn't mean it isn't suitable for adults.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I was over the look of the game within about 5 minutes. I haven't played it in a few weeks, but I really loved the game. I only wish that they would have come out with a keyboard for this game and PSO. Typing in those codes was a killer. I think this would be one of the best games they could put online in the next few years. Trading and moving from village to village would be a blast.

Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What does it matter if it looks kiddie? Unless it has a name involving Sesame Street, Barney, or Disney (most of the time, Kingdom Hearts being the one BIG exception), then it probably isn't kiddie.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Animal Crossing is excellent. I'm hoping for a sequel that expands upon it. Online would be nice. I can confidently say that the only game I may have played more on this system than Animal Crossing is probably Smash Brothers - and only because my memory card died.

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Animal Crossing is excellent. I'm hoping for a sequel that expands upon it. Online would be nice.
My wife is really enjoying it, which is a bit unusual:) I would describe this game as like the Sims Online, except not quite online and without as much diversity. I tried to get her to play Ultima Online, but she felt it was too complicated to enjoy. Animal Crossing seems to fit well as a game for casual gamers.
Our respective play styles really reflect our gaming backgrounds--I paid off all of my loans and put a few million bells in the bank in the first couple weeks and got bored by it. She's still paying off her basement and loving every minute. :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Our respective play styles really reflect our gaming backgrounds--I paid off all of my loans and put a few million bells in the bank in the first couple weeks and got bored by it. She's still paying off her basement and loving every minute.
Yes - fair warning - this game was not meant to be played in one sitting. It is meant to be played 15 minutes a day for a very long time to come. Not to say you can't sit down for an hour with it, but you'll get a much nicer experience if you take your time with it. The world changes every day and different events happen each month. Also, different items are only available during certain parts of the year. I would be surprised if someone who played it for 15 minutes a day would be bored with it before a full year passed.

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
I'm realizing this probably should be in software, but anyway...
One thing I think would be tremendously cool would be if all of the "items" were truly interactive. The nes games are great, but how fun would it be if you could play Pong on the table tennis board or some emulated version of billiards with the billiards table. Make the chess table function like Chessmaster 3000, and so on. I could play a game that had that kind of variety for years.
Also, I really wish they would have made fishing like it was in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'm a sucker for fishing sims.
Increase the customizability for houses, and allow the actual footprint of the house to change. Allow the purchase of a backyard that you can decorate. and on and on...
Put all of these things together, and Animal Crossing 2 could be the best...game...ever. :)

Sev_Erouston

Agent
Iain Lambert, excellent point and well taken. Guess I was looking at it wrong. Maybe I've been playing a bit to much vc. I'll look a little more carefully next time I'm at blockbuster.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I have not played but I hear this game is great. I think it's better to judge it by playing it...go out give a rent. You might be surprised!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Iain Lambert, excellent point and well taken. Guess I was looking at it wrong.
Thanks Sev. Its just one of my well-rehearsed rants, really, after too many silly comments when trying to buy games like Pikmin (which is actually a real brain-bender at times) when the teenager at the counter wants to make another Soldier Of Fortune (or whatever) sale.

Sev_Erouston

Agent
Iain, funny you mention that. I was totally into that game for the PC when it cam out but I'm getting kinda bored of those games now. I just rented Dr. Muto and really enjoy the cartooney sort of wackiness about it. Have you tried it yet. I think you would like it based on what I've heard from ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks