Animal Crossing – doesn’t the “kiddie” look of this game bother anybody?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sev_Erouston, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

So many people love this game now, but I’ve never played it. I just take one look at the box cover art and think
    “this game looks like it’s for kids 7 and under.” To those of you who have it: is the gameplay so good that you
    can overlook the silly appearance?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I see it more as an artistic style rather than "kiddie".

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

After close to 40 hours or so of playing this game....hipster, it is not "kiddie", meow,....... its quite fun and addictive (im 23 my wifes 23 we love it) ducky...... lol

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'll save you the worst of the diatribe, and just leave it at the basic point that its games like this that I think are 'mature', and the games with nudity and pointless gore that are the immature ones. Its a graphical style, and just because its not unsuitable for children doesn't mean it isn't suitable for adults.

6. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I was over the look of the game within about 5 minutes. I haven't played it in a few weeks, but I really loved the game. I only wish that they would have come out with a keyboard for this game and PSO. Typing in those codes was a killer. I think this would be one of the best games they could put online in the next few years. Trading and moving from village to village would be a blast.

Glen

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

What does it matter if it looks kiddie? Unless it has a name involving Sesame Street, Barney, or Disney (most of the time, Kingdom Hearts being the one BIG exception), then it probably isn't kiddie.

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Animal Crossing is excellent. I'm hoping for a sequel that expands upon it. Online would be nice. I can confidently say that the only game I may have played more on this system than Animal Crossing is probably Smash Brothers - and only because my memory card died.

9. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

11. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

I'm realizing this probably should be in software, but anyway...
    One thing I think would be tremendously cool would be if all of the "items" were truly interactive. The nes games are great, but how fun would it be if you could play Pong on the table tennis board or some emulated version of billiards with the billiards table. Make the chess table function like Chessmaster 3000, and so on. I could play a game that had that kind of variety for years.
    Also, I really wish they would have made fishing like it was in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'm a sucker for fishing sims.
    Increase the customizability for houses, and allow the actual footprint of the house to change. Allow the purchase of a backyard that you can decorate. and on and on...
    Put all of these things together, and Animal Crossing 2 could be the best...game...ever. [​IMG]

12. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

Iain Lambert, excellent point and well taken. Guess I was looking at it wrong. Maybe I've been playing a bit to much vc. I'll look a little more carefully next time I'm at blockbuster.

13. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I have not played but I hear this game is great. I think it's better to judge it by playing it...go out give a rent. You might be surprised!

14. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

15. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

Iain, funny you mention that. I was totally into that game for the PC when it cam out but I'm getting kinda bored of those games now. I just rented Dr. Muto and really enjoy the cartooney sort of wackiness about it. Have you tried it yet. I think you would like it based on what I've heard from ya.

16. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

Just thought I would check back and see if anyone had any new recs? Gotta a long weekend coming up.
    [​IMG]