1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Anh Hung Tran's films on DVD...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I was fortunate enough to have the time to watch all three of Vietnamese director Anh Hung Tran's films on DVD last Friday night.The Scent of Green Papaya, Cyclo and The Vertical Ray of the Sun, each one is magnificent.
    I have garphically reviewed The Scent of Green Papaya DVD, which you may access by CLICKING HERE .
    I also penned a review of The Vertical Ray of the Sun DVD - HERE.
    I don't plan on revieweing Cyclo as Pascal has done such a good commentary of the film on his own Strictly Film School website. HERE I purchased the DVD from a Hong Kong website and am quite happy with the quality: www.pokerindustries.com
    Unfotunately The Scent of Green Papaya is Pan and Scan in Region 1 ( argghhh ) but The Vertical Ray of the Sun may be one of the most beautiful DVDs that I have.
    Any other opinions on any of these three DVDs ?
    P.S. This is cross-posted to the "Movies" section as well since the reviews include both the film and DVDs.
    Cheers,

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I rented The Vertical Ray of the Sun a few weeks ago. You're right - it's a gorgeous film and the dvd is very nice. That said, I'm not sure I'd watch the movie again. When it's all said and done, it is little more than a beautifully-lensed soap opera. Still, I'm glad I saw it and will be looking for Cyclo and The Scent of Green Papaya...

3. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Both movies are very good. Steve is right though, neither movie lends itself to repeat viewing. I didn't like the fact that you can't turn off the subtitles, since I am of course, of Vietnamese decent. I found the subtitles a bit disctracting and inaccurate since a litteral translation between English and Vietnamese is quite impossible.

4. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer