Angry Cat Problem

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jed M, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

My friend's cat has a problem that may force her to get rid of him. She has had the cat for 5 years and loves it very much but lately (last few months) it has been going to the bathroom in bad places, such as the bed, when they are out of sight, not just gone. The veterinarian said it is a anger problem and the cat is mad, but didn't prescribe any medicine. She is asking around if anybody wants the cat (but as you can see, she isn't doing a great job of selling it) so I am asking if any of you fine cat lovers at the HTF have any advice? She really doesn't want to give up her cat but the bathroom issues are becoming more frequent so what to do? Pet psychiatrist like in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"? [​IMG] Any advice or web sites dealing with feline issues would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I don't pretend to be an expert in these things, but the first thing I'd look at (assuming the vet rules out a medical issue, and it sounds like he has) is: what has changed in the cat's life in the last few months? Did anyone new become part of the household recently (a new boyfriend, etc.)?? Any other major changes? Cats don't like change, and I have heard of them reacting to it like this.

3. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

We have a cat that does this... Usually on my clothes... It was my wifes cat before we married, and although the little bugger really seems to like me, if I do the slightest thing to tick him off (ignore him, dont pet him enough, dont kiss his ass when he feels his ass needs kissing, etc) my clothes get it...

Another thing that has set him off lately, is we have a stray cat hanging around outside our house, and that seems to make him "mark" his territory.

My only suggestion would be:

1. Dont leave anything out he might want to pee on... (i.e. piles of soft clothes, etc)

2. Make sure there aren't any males poking around outside.

3. DONT PISS HIM OFF!!!

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've also heard of cats doing this kind of thing because of some kind of change. Sometimes if a person moves it can set them off.

A friend of mine's cat sometimes would piss on their bedspread, and I think it was caused by it being lonely if they were working late a lot. Also if they didn't clean the box enough it would go outside the box to them let them know.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm hoping to get the help of one of our resident cat experts.

I want to relocate the litter box to another part of the house, but I've heard this can be problemmatic. I have a great cat, who virtually never has accidents, but I don't want to traumatize her.

Any pearls of wisdom before I relocate her litter box?

6. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I've moved the litter box a number of times and never had a problem. I don't know if I just have a laid back cat or what, but the only thing I do when I move it is make sure the cat is with me when I do it. Most of the time I pick the cat up along with the box, then walk them both to the new location. Drop the cat right next to it, she sniffs around for a few seconds, looks at me like I just wasted her time, goes back to sleep, wakes up and heads right for the new location with no problem.

As for the original question, the only option other than getting rid of the cat is to find out what changes have caused it to get angry. Did the food/diet change? New pets in the area? Does the location of litter box need to be cleaned all around, including the floor? Even if the box is clean, if there is anything around it that is getting funky the cat will react. Because their sense of smell is so much stronger than ours, it could be so little you don't know it is there but the cat sure does.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

We have moved our litter box a number of times, with no problem. We just take our cats and show them the new location.

So far, so good.

8. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

It may also be a medical problem. Sometimes, cats with urinary tract infections or other digestive problems may cause them to go where they're not supposed to. Maybe get a second opinion from another vet.

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Jed, I'd get her to go see another vet. Were any tests done to see if the cat is sick? Cats hide illness VERY well. This could be indicative of several different things.

Usually a cat can get mad and have behavioural/bathroom problems if there is a major change in their environment. (Or even a semi-minor one they just don't like.) But as I said, it's MORE likely to be an illness of some sort.

Saying it's an "anger problem" with no further info or recommendations doesn't sound very good to me.

I'd talk to another vet myself...

10. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Thanks for the help guys, I will give her that advice. I really have no clue since I have never owned a cat, but I have lived with them on occasion. I will pass the information on and get back to tell you all the conclusion of this.

Also, after a brief discussion last night with her after I posted this, I did find out it started when they were having construction at their house and they had to keep the cat closed up in the bedroom everyday for about 3 days so it wouldn't get outside. So that is change and anger in one, she just doesn't know how to get on his good side again.

11. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

OHHHH YAHHHHH!!!! You've got a pissed off cat! If we shut the cat up in a room, even one hed be in ANYWAY, he goes RIGHT for my clothes when he gets out.... Spiteful little bastards they are... That with the noise, and the strangers in the house... Give him time... And LOTS of petting....

12. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Jed,

I second the opinion that you should suggest that your friend seek a second vet opinion. I had a similar problem with my cat a few years ago. We had recently moved, so I thought it may be an adjustment problem. Several weeks passed without improvement, so I took him to the vet...LEUKEMIA! The cat must have been miserable (R.I.P.), and I still feel bad about scolding him for peeing in my bean bag chair[​IMG]

Good luck, Dave

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Thanks (from myself and Rosalita, the cat) to those who replied to my corollary question. Tonight, we move the box!