What's new

Angry at Dell (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
They had a great deal - no doubt about that - and I am sure they have good products. I ordered the 1600SC server, next business day delivery.

And they certainly were VERY careful to allow for speedy delivery (next day air, etc.) without ever saying that the product was indeed available.

But I placed an order on Wednesday. Today I get an e-mail that it will ship on Friday next week. That is too late for me. I ended up having the choice of delivering it to another address (at which I would be temporarily), or else cancelling. Not even an attempt to try and speed up or reschedule the order - and all it would need to do is arrive on the 19th. But no, it could not ship before the 20th - and there was no guarantee it would ship even then. The body of the e-mail indicated it might be delayed for as much as another 4 weeks!!!

So I cancelled. While I realize that they never said it would be available - and I know they need to build the machine to order - this is to me VERY wrong. Very close to fals advertising; at the least it is allowing people to have incorrect impressions and have them order anyway. What in heck is the point of offering next-day air when you can't even begin to deliver the systems until a week later?

I was looking forward to that unit. It was something I had wanted for a while now.

Thanks, Dell.

Mike

AjayM

Screenwriter
How can you have a build to order computer and ship the next day? I understand the frustration, but the benefit of Dell is that you can order a fairly customized system as opposed to a an off the shelf system. Unfortunatly that takes time to build.

Andrew

Andre F

Screenwriter
I've ordered two systems from Dell and have liked them both. No problems (well some problems but they were resolved) and it all came quickly...

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm plenty pissed at Dell today myself.

I ordered an 8250 series desktop Tuesday morning. Dell put a hold on the funds on my VISA check card, but claim they didn't receive an authorization code, so as far as they are concerned the charge was declined. I checked with my bank today and the funds are indeed there, but with a hold on the amount, quite clearly labeled as being placed there from Dell.

So now Dell can't try to run the charge through again, because the funds are tied up because of the hold. My bank can't lift the hold without authorization from Dell, which says it can't lift the hold because it never placed a hold to begin with.

Dell admits to a computer glitch, but in the meantime I have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week for their financial department to clear it up with my bank. That means they aren't even starting to build my computer until then.

When I bought the computer, there was about $350 in rebates and upgrade incentives. If Dell's system cancels the order because of lack of payment, all those incentives go out the window.

Jeez, it really shouldn't be this hard to give somebody $1,500 of my money.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's deceptive for Dell to offer overnight shipping on something that isn't going to be shipped that same day. Once the item is shipped, how soon do you want it? If you choose ground shipping for an item that won't be shipped for another two weeks, then you'll have to wait that much longer after it does ship.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I have also found Dell very reliable. I ordered a laptop in November which I received right before Thanksgiving. I received 3 days ahead of their target ship date.

As to the Check card problem I have had problems with other retailers, particularly foreign companies. The holds usually clear in 3-5 days automatically. If it was just a computer glitch then they can try reauthorizing and hopefully it will go through. Alternately, if you have another credit card, you could pay it with the check card and then use it to fund your purchase. I had to do this with a plane ticket from EVA that wouldn't clear on my check card.

Kenneth

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
I've always been pleased with Dell, and Wayne is correct, shipping can't, occur until the product is ready, no matter what it is. It will get to you quicker, just not overnight.
Overnight shipping, unfortunately, is not overnight recieving...

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
How can you have a build to order computer and ship the next day?
I've ordered at least a dozen servers from Dell. It's not unusual for them to ship the same day . However, this is their busy season and they are usually backed up a week this time of year. Something they should make known when ordering.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Dell never makes bones about the fact that they often build your stuff from scratch, run it through several days of testing/burn in and then ship it out.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I think DELL is probably one of the better companies out there, however, I'd still prefer to buy the parts myself and build the computer from the ground up. I find it's better and cheaper this way plus you really know what's in there.

- Mike

AjayM

Screenwriter
I've ordered at least a dozen servers from Dell. It's not unusual for them to ship the same day . However, this is their busy season and they are usually backed up a week this time of year. Something they should make known when ordering.
That's wierd, out of all the systems I've ordered from Dell (probably a couple hundred or so by now), I don't think I've ever had one ship the same day. I think the fastest was out the door a couple days after the order.

But there is a trick I learned awhile back, and that is have the sales guy (always, always call in an order) check stock levels of all the parts. If you order online or the sales guy is trying to get you off the phone as fast as possible won't tell you if the video card (or hard drive or the memory, etc) you want is on backorder for a week and a half.

Andrew

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Dell does state (before checkout is complete) that the shipping time is from when the order is completed, and that you will get an estimated shipping date usually within 24 hours of placing the order.

I bought a notebook computer from them a couple weeks ago to be shipped Ground. I actually received it the day before they estimated it would ship out.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Dell's system canceled my order over the weekend and my sales rep reinstated it this afternoon with all of the original upgrade deals and rebates in place. She estimated it would ship by Wednesday or Thursday, which means I could have it by Christmas. That would be sweet!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the 20 inch LCD when they had that hell of a deal that was pointed out in this forum the other day. It arrived today.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I'm one of the lucky ones. I ordered my pc from Dell and within 10 days I was picking it up from UPS or whatever. I was expecting another 2 week wait for sure.

StevenW

Second Unit
I just ordered a 8250 and it took a total of two weeks from my online order. I've been extremely pleased so far. I just added a 2nd Hard Drive to it a few days ago and could not believe how clean and organized it was inside compared to my old HP, not to mention how simple it was to open up. Dell gets :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: from me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks