Angle In Which Thesub Fires

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Does a sub HAVE to fire perpendicular or parallel to the ground?

I am still in the designing mode and found some older couch legs that would be grat for my sub. but the crossbars sit at an angle. about a 20 degree rise.

any comments?

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Shouldn't make any difference.

Could make for some interesting design options.

Anyone else?

JKS

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

A sub is basically a non-directional pressure generator, so it doesn't matter which way it's pointing.

A front firing should sound the same as a downfiring. However some drivers operate better FF because when they are downfiring, gravitity causes some sag.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Some purists may tell you that down firing will cause "cone sag" over time, thus affecting the driver's performance.

However, I think the jury is still out on whether this is an audible effect or not.

My oppinion is the mid to higher end drivers offer a tighter construction and are less prone to sag as opposed to some el-cheapo car thumper for example.

To answer your question in short, no.

5. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

when I have time[ this weekend] i will be testing my drivers to get all the specs. once that is done, Ill post them on here to get some feedback on exactly what type of box to build. Once I get my design completely drawn, I will post drawings. Ill use my shop @ work to build them and hopefully be done in 2 weeks once I start.
    as far as the legs go, they are wood an Ill have to match the color [natural finish] and route groves in them to hold the box. wish me luck