What's new

Angie: The Complete Collection Coming from VEI (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I finally picked up this set recently. After watching the first episode, I remember now why I loved it as a kid. It's a pretty funny little show. Donna Pescow and Robert Hayes are downright charming. I had (still have) a major crush on Debralee Scott and Doris Roberts is a comic powerhouse. Certainly brings back 1979 the way I remember it. I thought the print looked very good, just a couple of tiny glitches. And the theme song is one of my all-time favorites. All-in-all, a very pleasant viewing experience.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Your review sounds exactly like mine. It's just a nice, simple sitcom with likable characters that reminds me of happier times. Though I'm still trying to figure out why Tammy Lauren is third-billed when she is barely in the show.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I always thought the same thing. Perhaps the producers originally planned for her to have a bigger part a la Bess in MTM, but the writers had trouble working her into the scripts.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I keep checking to see if Angie is available at other stores. I make it a practice never to pay the full regular price and am willing to wait. My collection is at least a third bigger, by waiting for sales, and promotions, rather than paying full price for everything. There's only so much cash to go around these days! I wonder why this is not available at numerous other online stores as of now?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
For those of you who have skimmed through this series (a shout out to bmasters9!), have any of you checked any of the season 2 episodes for a version of the Paramount Television "Blue Mountain" logo without the ® symbol, which looks like this?

The reason I am asking is because all those of you who bought this DVD set say, for a fact, that most of the 36 episodes were derived from the syndication edits, and because the variation of the logo I posted had only appeared on off-network (but not first-run syndicated) shows.

~Ben

Last edited:

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I keep checking to see if Angie is available at other stores. I make it a practice never to pay the full regular price and am willing to wait. My collection is at least a third bigger, by waiting for sales, and promotions, rather than paying full price for everything. There's only so much cash to go around these days! I wonder why this is not available at numerous other online stores as of now?

Totally agree with you as I have only seen this available at Amazon for 30 bucks and that is just way too steep for me to pay for a two-season set.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The other thing I noticed about Angie was that two future Best of the West cast members appeared on the series.

Valri Bromfield played Mary Mary on several episodes, while Meeno Peluce (Soleil Moon Frye's older half-brother) appeared as a guest on the episode "The Kid Down the Block." On Best of the West, Bromfield was Laney Gibbs whereas Peluce played Daniel Best.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
We must nonetheless buy it regardless of any notable edits within these episodes... if we want VEI to continue to release all these classic shows and TV movie specials.

~Ben

Sure-- this Angie release might have been edited to kingdom come, but if you haven't seen that ABC comedy before and are unfamiliar with it, I'd say this release would be a definite buy.

(Granted, if you are familiar with it and the edited parts are what you remember from seeing it then on ABC, then that, IMO, might be another story.)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
And the other thing I found interesting... on episode 2x16, "Theresa's Gigolo," the end title seems to use a different song (with a saxophone as the lead instrument) than the usual Maureen McGovern-sung "Different Worlds." Could that have been a remix of the same? I already know about the normal closing theme tune being in a different key than the opening title version.

I was shocked when I first heard this end title music, because I thought it just cut from the final act to the Paramount logo. But then I saw this was actually one of the seven unedited episodes, clocking in at almost 25 minutes.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Totally agree with you as I have only seen this available at Amazon for 30 bucks and that is just way too steep for me to pay for a two-season set.

You think that's bad-- try Borders at Westfield Annapolis way back in 2007; I was with my sister and nephew in Maryland, and I got that first-season Fall Guy release there, and that was $60 for that one season's worth (the only one released). I did finish it, but that was a very expensive mistake on my part.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
And the other thing I found interesting... on episode 2x16, "Theresa's Gigolo," the end title seems to use a different song (with a saxophone as the lead instrument) than the usual Maureen McGovern-sung "Different Worlds." Could that have been a remix of the same? I already know about the normal closing theme tune being in a different key than the opening title version.

I was shocked when I first heard this end title music, because I thought it just cut from the final act to the Paramount logo. But then I saw this was actually one of the seven unedited episodes, clocking in at almost 25 minutes.

~Ben
The episode may have run a little long, and they didn't want an abrupt ending so decided to close with the four of them dancing over that lite jazzy music or they may have just decided to close the episode with a nice slow dance sequence. Anyway this one is more notable for me because it features Dennis Stewart as the dance instructor, whom some may recognize as Crater-Face from "Grease".

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Did you know that before they finally got Maureen McGovern to sing the theme tune, that Cyndi Grecco (who sang "Making Our Dreams Come True" for Laverne & Shirley) was the first choice by the producers to sing this theme tune?

Almost by coincidence, episode 1x04 is called "The Morning After," also the name of the song McGovern went to #1 with in 1973.

~Ben

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
You think that's bad-- try Borders at Westfield Annapolis way back in 2007; I was with my sister and nephew in Maryland, and I got that first-season Fall Guy release there, and that was $60 for that one season's worth (the only one released). I did finish it, but that was a very expensive mistake on my part.

B&N is also way too expensive, unless you have a good coupon such as 25% off to shop there, but other then that, there are other options.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Only 7 episodes, across both seasons, were unedited. It was only known to be reran once: in the summer of 1985 on ABC Daytime, and that was when the 24th episode (36th overall), "Angie and the Doctor," which did not air during the original season 2 broadcast run (1979-80), was seen for the first time.

~Ben

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am still happy that VEI gave us In Search Of.., and Barnaby Jones(beggars cannot be choosers), but I think I'm done with them.
"Angie" was a series I was looking forward to owning. Now I don't even care.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
"Angie" was a series I was looking forward to owning. Now I don't even care.

Somehow I get the feeling that you wanted to see that 1979-80 ABC comedy at first, then since the presentation thereof on the DVD release was markedly different from how it actually was on ABC then, you don't desire to see it anymore. Is that true?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Somehow I get the feeling that you wanted to see that 1979-80 ABC comedy at first, then since the presentation thereof on the DVD release was markedly different from how it actually was on ABC then, you don't desire to see it anymore. Is that true?

Yes. I can barely stand for a show I love like Barnaby Jones getting the "cut" treatment, but a show like Angie which was more just a nostalgic curiosity, it is a deal breaker. I don't care to watch anymore episodes.

EDIT: I probably should have just read the second page of this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks