What's new

Angie: The Complete Collection Coming from VEI (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Seeing as VEI kept the original Paramount Television logos intact on both Petrocelli and Nero Wolfe (in the latter, except on the pilot as that had been remastered circa 1994, hence the appearance of the 1990 logo, which at the end kept the 1976 Jerry Goldsmith jingle alive!), then I am 99 percent certain that the original 1978 and 1979 Paramount Television "Blue Mountain" logos will stay here on this DVD!

The other thing is: let's also hope there are no defects on any of these DVDs like what happened with the first pressings of Nero Wolfe!

(1978 version - season 1)

(1979 version - season 2)

~Ben

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hm.

VEI.

Bummer.

I wonder how many discs will be defective and how many edited episodes will be in the set.

Anyway, isn't Angie that Debralee Scott show she did after her time on Kotter?

This may be worth picking up for me, assuming it isn't a usual substandard VEI hackjob.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Hm.

VEI.

Bummer.

I wonder how many discs will be defective and how many edited episodes will be in the set.

This may be worth picking up for me, assuming it isn't a usual substandard VEI hackjob.
Angie is played by Donna Pescow...

~Ben

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Hm.

VEI.

Bummer.

Yes, this was the show Debralee did after Kotter and Mary Hartman. She was also in the short-lived Brothers and Sisters (1974) and was a unique actress. Too bad her career petered out in the '80s and she died so young at age 52.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, this was the show Debralee did after Kotter and Mary Hartman. She was also in the short-lived Brothers and Sisters (1974) and was a unique actress. Too bad her career petered out in the '80s and she died so young at age 52.

Ah, okay, I didn't quite remember the timeline. She did Kotter, Mary Hartman, then Angie.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Glad to see that this release is finally happening. As it's been over 2 years since VEI first announced it as part of their list of shows they were working on, I was starting to think they'd given up on it.

I do miss the days when you could expect consistently good quality from VEI, but hopefully this will prove to be one of their good jobs. But ultimately it's not as though anyone else was rushing to put this short-lived sitcom out on disc, so I'm happy to have it and will hope for the best. At least it's the complete series, so no worries about stalling after Season 1.

Hopefully this also means there's still a chance for some of the other shows on VEI's list, such as The Magician, The Immortal, and Evening Shade.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Glad to see that this release is finally happening. As it's been over 2 years since VEI first announced it as part of their list of shows they were working on, I was starting to think they'd given up on it.

I do miss the days when you could expect consistently good quality from VEI, but hopefully this will prove to be one of their good jobs. But ultimately it's not as though anyone else was rushing to put this short-lived sitcom out on disc, so I'm happy to have it and will hope for the best. At least it's the complete series, so no worries about stalling after Season 1.

Hopefully this also means there's still a chance for some of the other shows on VEI's list, such as The Magician, The Immortal, and Evening Shade.
The Magician and The Immortal are my coming-soon picks... I last saw both these programs on Sci-Fi Channel in 1996! Both of these shows' pilot episodes have one rare Paramount TV logo each... The Immortal carrying the same yellow-screen "Split Box I with Closet Killer" as on the Mission: Impossible 2-part episode "The Controllers," while said pilot for The Magician has a rare version of Lalo Schifrin's logo theme that sounds very sad with those French horns.

~Ben

Last edited:

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
For those concerned about disc quality, I've recently purchased both the condensed "Cannon" set as well as "Poltergeist: The Legacy" and haven't had any issues with faulty discs. I think VEI have finally stepped up their game with disc production, so hopefully they will be able to shake that stigma that they've gotten from collectors of this hobby.

That being said, whereas I'm happy for those that were looking forward to seeing "Angie" released, I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't heard anything more about "Viper" getting released. VEI mentioned in a Facebook post several months ago that "Viper" was finally going to get released this summer, but they don't appear to be following through on their promise...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hm.

VEI.

Bummer.

I don't worry about bad discs as much as the fact that this will more than likely not be re-mastered like most of the VEI releases. So we are probably getting old, worn prints with faded color. This is definitely one to wait for reviews. I did like this show when it was originally on but don't think I have seen it since.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Well. On that old list we have:

Longstreet
The Magician
The Immortal
Special Unit 21
Evening Shade
and the above mentioned Viper.

Is there another one, I've missed.

James

Super Force was also on the list. I've never seen it, but Patrick Macnee was involved so I'll try it if/when it comes out.

(I'd forgotten about Longstreet being on the list. I'm in for that one too if it happens.)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Super Force was also on the list. I've never seen it, but Patrick Macnee was involved so I'll try it if/when it comes out.

(I'd forgotten about Longstreet being on the list. I'm in for that one too if it happens.)
Longstreet... forgot to include that one as my major coming-soon pick! Like The Immortal and The Magician, the pilot also has a rare Paramount Television logo... the first time we ever saw this logo silent (no scary Lalo Schifrin jingle!).

~Ben

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't worry about bad discs as much as the fact that this will more than likely not be re-mastered like most of the VEI releases. So we are probably getting old, worn prints with faded color. This is definitely one to wait for reviews. I did like this show when it was originally on but don't think I have seen it since.

Angie isn't a show which CBS ever remastered to tape so likely it will be from old film transfers. Yet another show which I won't have a problem with on my nice 4x3 set but which the high def crowd will be whinging about.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Angie isn't a show which CBS ever remastered to tape so likely it will be from old film transfers. Yet another show which I won't have a problem with on my nice 4x3 set but which the high def crowd will be whinging about.

Talk about a sweeping generalization with no merit. Considering I had no problem watching releases like M-Squad or The Lawless Years on my 92" HD projected setup, I highly doubt i would complain about Angie, if i was inclined to get it. And considering all the higher quality releases that are also available, I could never consider going back to a small 4x3 tube TV for any type of viewing. I realize some prefer to recapture the moment of how they originally watched, but for me its about creating a new moment based on how i wished i could have watched it back then.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Talk about a sweeping generalization with no merit. Considering I had no problem watching releases like M-Squad or The Lawless Years on my 92" HD projected setup, I highly doubt i would complain about Angie, if i was inclined to get it. And considering all the higher quality releases that are also available, I could never consider going back to a small 4x3 tube TV for any type of viewing. I realize some prefer to recapture the moment of how they originally watched, but for me its about creating a new moment based on how i wished i could have watched it back then.

I'm guessing you haven't encountered the "If it's not in HD on Blu, I REFUSE TO BUY IT! DVD is an obsolete format that should have been discontinued a decade ago!" brand of physical media buyer yet.

They're out there. They're loud. They exist. And they're so, so wrong.

Just something being labeled as "4K sourced" or "Lossless audio" is a placebo for them that makes them think it's the pinnacle of the format and the only way things should be seen, when if you were to give them a blind comparison, they would probably not be able to tell the difference (definitely on the audio).

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm guessing you haven't encountered the "If it's not in HD on Blu, I REFUSE TO BUY IT! DVD is an obsolete format that should have been discontinued a decade ago!" brand of physical media buyer yet.

They're out there. They're loud. They exist. And they're so, so wrong.

Just something being labeled as "4K sourced" or "Lossless audio" is a placebo for them that makes them think it's the pinnacle of the format and the only way things should be seen, when if you were to give them a blind comparison, they would probably not be able to tell the difference (definitely on the audio).

Oh I have...and they're just like those that if a release isn't pristine automatically declare that it must have been sourced from VHS or worse.

However, that doesn't mean all that have HD setups fall into the same camp. If anything i would suggest that those that overly complain are probably a loud-vocal minority of those that truly enjoy HD setups. And the implication is that SD material can only look good on SD display devices, which is also untrue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks