What's new

Anger Management Widescreen DVD Audio Problems? (1 Viewer)

Jared Reich

Stunt Coordinator
My DVD is making a farting noise through most of the movie when i play it in surround sound . MY other dvds play fine with no audio problems. I tried it on my tv without surround and it played fine as well. Anyone else having or know of this problem?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Just got done watching this movie and believe me, you're better off hearing farting noises than the dialogue in this movie. What a piece of crap! Glad this was a rental and not a blind buy or I'd be pissed right now.

Luis A

Second Unit
Jared, I think I know what you are talking about. While I wouldn't describe what I heard as "farting" I did hear an extra bit of harshness from the center channel. Kinda like a raspy, crackling sound during some loud shouting scenes.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Jeez, I hope this isn't that horrible. I ordered it as a blind buy from CH.

BTW, I was quite happy with my blind purchase for this, I enjoyed this movie!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
unfortunately this isn't just a problem with anger management. i've noticed this flaw on several of columbias new titles including tears of the sun. i wouldn't call it a "farting" sound, but during quieter scenes, there is a crackling sound whenever someone speaks - and not just when they shout. it's quite subtle (so i'm not surprised many haven't noticed it), but it's definitely there. i've tried these discs out on several machines and the problem persists, and out of 1400 dvds, these new columbia ones are the only ones that exhibit this.

this is incredibly frustrating. shouldn't these dvds go through some sort of quality control process. if other studios can manage to release their dvds sans "farting", why can't columbia ? i don't like to think that all future dvds from this studio are going to be like this. i certainly won't be buying them if they are.

Glad this was a rental and not a blind buy or I'd be pissed right now.
count me in as pissed then. i bought it. at least i got a used copy, but still. yuk! i swear i lost a few brain cells while watching this.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
I too noticed this with Anger Management. I've also experienced it on a few other DVDs. I can't remember them all of the top of my head but some are:

1 or 2 Star Trek movies - majority sound fine though.
Doctor Dolittle 2

Maybe 3 or 4 more I can't remember at this time. Really shouldn't even be that many allowed through QA.

I've found most friends and family either don't notice or don't say anything about it.

I notice it right away and hate it.

P.S. Thank you for posting the problem though. It helps bring awareness of the issue to others. Especially with Anger Management because the majority of on-line and print reviews I've seen fail to mention it.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
YES! I posted a thread about this problem a few weeks back and nobody responded but it got many views. I'm glad I'm not crazy and it's not my center channel screwing up. The sound is TERRIBLE on this disc. I would say enough to warrant a recall in my mind though I'm sure it would never happen. When playing the surround track there is a very awful harsh noise during many parts of the film. The people I was watching the film with did not notice it but it was driving me INSANE! (Probably because this was the 2nd film I had watched on my surround setup after just paying about 3500 bucks for everything) It seems to make this harsh and awful noise during much of Nicholson's dialogue though it happens intermittently on everyone's dialogue. Seems to happen more when someone is screaming or they are talking higher pitched. Just AWFUL. I have noticed it on a couple other movies recently....but none a much as in Anger Management!

What is causing this distortion? Is it just incredibly shoddy mastering? It really pisses me off. If I turn the sound down very low I can barely hear it but that is certainly not the way that I want to watch my dvd's!

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
From Mike Long's review on dvdtalk.com:

"Audio

The primary audio track on the Anger Management DVD is a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. The track delivers clear and audible dialogue which shows no hissing or distortion."

WRONG

From Aaron Bejerle's review on dvdtalk.com:

"Audio quality is satisfactory, as the music has a nice, dynamic presence, while dialogue remained clear. Not much to it, but what there is is okay."

WRONG

Now, either these two are flat-out lying (hopefully not) or there are defective Anger Management discs with bad 5.1 tracks being sold. I have now tried my Anger Management dvd in 5 different DVD players all of which have different surround systems, 1 of them being a computer with a surround system and the problem was exhibited in all of them.

I unfortunately know nobody that owns this DVD so I can't try out any other copies of it but it would be great if other owners on the forum here could try their copies to see if they have the same problems with the 5.1 soundtrack.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
another columbia title with this problem is identity. when will it end ? and how many dvds are there out there with this problem ?

i've started a thread in studio feedback to hopefully bring it to someones attention (assuming they read these forums).

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
So, does anyone out there have a copy of Anger Management where the 5.1 track does not have this problem???? Every review I have found online says the audio is perfectly fine. Either these guys aren't getting the defective discs or they are just getting a synopsis of the film from some database site like imdb.com and watching 30 seconds of the film to see what the quality is like and barely listening. Because I find it very to believe that none of these reviewers heard these problems if in fact every copy of Anger Management and many recent Columbia titles (as mentioned here Identity and Tears of the Sun do it, I just checked my roommate's copies of Identity and it had the problem) had these audio problems.

On these Columbia dvd's with these problems, the 5.1 track is terrible and unlistenable to me. I'm sure it bothers some more than others, but you DEFINITELY do not need the hearing of a dog to hear where the 5.1 track is very heavily distorted. Just terrible. :angry: Hopefully, whatever is causing these problems is found soon and is eliminated. If not, I will go out of my way to not purchase a Columbia/Tristar title even if the audio recieves stellar reviews (like Anger Management's 5.1 track) because either Columbia has a large problem with defective discs on multiple titles or these reviewers just don't give a damn or are being nice just to kiss the studio's butt.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
When I rented it from Hollywood Video, I did not notice the noise from the center channel or any other channels, in fact I thought the audio was pretty darn good. I can't say the same thing about the movie contained on the disc...

However, don't trust my ear too much, since I am not that great at hearing those imperfections in an audio track.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Tony, if you did not hear it your copy most likely did not have the problem. I am beginning to think that this problem must be because of some way Columbia is producing the discs and that it is not happening to all but a good sized percentage is still experiencing the problem. It is obviously very noticeable to Andy, Wesley, Jared, and myself as we all commented on it here. I did not know about it happening with other recent Columbia releases as well till it was mentioned here though. It is impossible to believe that any reviewer did not catch this problem unless the copy that they were given did not have the problem. This is definitely unacceptable and I plan on giving Columbia a call. Unfortunately, I am expecting to achieve nothing out of it... But hopefully I will be proven wrong.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I am beginning to think that this problem must be because of some way Columbia is producing the discs and that it is not happening to all but a good sized percentage is still experiencing the problem
Maybe there is a problem at the one of the places that press their discs. Or it could be a problem with the equipment that they use to transfer the film to DVD.

Aaron, be sure to let us know what comes out of that call. I am very interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks