What's new

"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
But I never said they were doing anything else. I'm not sure if you're reading too much into my post or what, but judging by the tone of that earlier reply, I apparently did something to get under your skin. If I offended you, it was completely inadvertent, and nothing I've said was directed towards you.
Nothing with you personally, it's just every time the topic comes up it's the same info back and forth. It's not you, it's the topic that irritates me. Frankly I think we should just hold off on saying anything further, guessing or reading into it until we get word from Mutant Enemy

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Angel was filmed using 16:9 since the beginning. It wasn't meant to be seen that way since at least season 2, and there were never masters created for season 1. It's possible to get masters for season 1 in widescreen, but it would be MAR.

Jeff's got the right idea.

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
Alright, the more I read the thread, the more confused I become. Which isn't that hard to do, I grant you.

For us complete newbs, watching both shows on DVD for the first time, what are the intended "proper" ARs for each season?

Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Which will change nothing, either way. Either they were full of it when they previously stated that it was composed for 4:3, or they are releasing a product with a non-intended AR
The quote is from Tim Minear, who was not showrunner until sometime in Season 3, and only David Greenwalt and Joss Whedon are qualified to dictate AR on Angel for the first 2 seasons.

Buffy (ALL except Once More With Feeling)- 4:3
Angel

S1- 4:3
S2- ?
S3- 16:9
S4- 16:9
S5- 16:9

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
Thanks for the summary Jeff. It appears I'll be more or less safe going Region 1 all the way.

I was a bit stubborn in not watching these shows from the first, but I think it worked out for the best. Discovering a show(s) after several seasons are available on DVD is a real pleasure. I sometimes wish I hadn't watched 24 on the tube at all.

Oh, btw, I assume the jury is still out on how Once More... will be presented?

Thanks.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
We can pretty much guarantee that ONCE MORE, WITH FEELING will be 16:9.

What we can't guarantee is that the final 3 unreleased seasons of buffy are going to be 4:3 (which they should).

I'm betting it'll be fine though, Joss seems to get his way when it comes to DVD.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
All of this talk about getting screwed on the DVD, bare a small thought for us UK TV watchers. We got S2 in widescreen, not that bad really, but Season 3 is being shown 4:3, and looks absolutely terrible. The other night they had the episode where Angel has saved his baby from his house, and picks him up at the hospital
and they have one of there many "Group walks with purpose towards the camera" shots. You've got to feel sorry for the guys at the side of the image as the kept going in and out of the frame.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Now I can sleep better knowing The Joss has A-OK'd this! ;)

I am so hyped for this! My girlfriend is a huge Buffy/Angel/Smallville fan but of the three, Angel is the one I actually like watching with her (Smallville is in second place, early Buffy was cool, but they lost me in The Riley & Glory Years - god I can't stand either of those actors).

PS - were we sure that Angel wasn't broadcast in WS until Season 3? I seem to remember very early on it was broadcast in WS - we're in Los Angeles, it's on WB channel 5. I just remember thinking when the announcement for the DVD came out that it would be WS, I thought "yeah that's about right."

Of course my memory is very, very fallible.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No, the earliest episode was 3.01. It's been widescreen since then.

Season 2 was only shown widescreen in the UK. Season 1 was never seen anywhere in widescreen.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised, but glad to see Joss feels this way about Season 2 in 16:9. Despite a few noticable gaffes on the edges of the frame in certain shots(albeit not as bad as Buffy's), it does look really good in WS.

Now where the hell is the Season 4 box set in the UK?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Season 2 was also shown 4:3 in the U.K. I have the entire season recorded in 4:3 from a U.K. source.

-Dave

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
So the set is 16x9, which according to the link above is correct with Joss Whedon. So is there any reason to upgrade from the R2 sets now apart from PAL speedup? Any new extras?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks