What's new

"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Fox itself, at www2.foxstore.com says Angel Season 2 is full-frame. Everything I've seen on it says it will be full-frame. The only contrary evidence is that apparently a couple of reviewers got review copies that were 16:9. I'm going to assume that my copy that ships from Amazon on street date will be full-frame unless I hear some kind of official statement otherwise.

Why did the reviewers get 16:9 copies? Who knows? Maybe a mistake on the advance pressing?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The only contrary evidence is that apparently a couple of reviewers got review copies that were 16:9. I'm going to assume that my copy that ships from Amazon on street date will be full-frame unless I hear some kind of official statement otherwise.
You're free to make any assumptions you want, and there is the infinitesimal chance that the version that hits store shelves will be different than what Fox sent to me...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Having pressed discs with screened art is, IMO, pretty solid evidence.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
So do we accept this release, and possibly brand ourselves OAR hypocrites? I've never been so torn about a release before, desperately wanting it, yet desiring to hold to my ideals at the same time...:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't feel I let down the OAR cause if it's issued widescreen and I bought it; it certainly wouldn't be without the approval of Greenwalt and Whedon, and it frankly could go either way and is really their call, so I don't think it's an issue.

Also known as the "throw up your hands" defense. ;)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Even with their approval, it's no better than "revisionist filmmaking". Assuming they approved, what we have is:

• Shot in 16:9
• Composed and intended for 4:3
• Originally aired in 4:3
• Released on DVD in 16:9.

How did they rationalize the S2 Angel release differently than Buffy?

Frankly, I don't believe that The Powers That Be care half as much as we do. If they did, we wouldn't be missing the "previously"'s on the Buffy discs. It's not like they are inconspicuous & easy to miss.

-Dave

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
You've got to love the old Mutant Enemy AR threads! I know that they were intended for 4:3 and I should watch them that way, but call me a big old hypocrite but I do like seeing them in 16x9, especially Angel. It really does makes me feel sorry for all the abused innocents out there, as I can get pretty angry when they say they don't like those black bars.

Yours

a new Joe 6 pack

Please don't throw me out the forum for such an anti-OAR message:) I promise I'll get better and hate myself for typing this.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, before declarations of heresy I'm waiting on an official statement from Joss or Greenwalt, given that traitor-boy has as least as much of a say on Angel as Joss.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, before you blame the AR on Greenwalt it might just be the decision of WB to release it widescreen. WB could have decided to keep S2 of Angel in the same AR the rest of the series was shot in.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That would be hard, since WB has nothing to do with the DVDs.

Considering that Fox let Joss control the AR of Buffy, I find it hard to believe that he would not have similar control over Angel. Based on the evidence at hand until an official ME statement, Greenwalt is the most likely answer

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
BTW, for any AR purists out there, isn't the R4 - Australia DVD of Angel S2 4:3? You can always buy the R4 set.

FWIW, Angel in 16:9 looks fine.

Ted

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
When framing an image, you cannot serve two masters.
Why not? Kubrick did. Numerous TV shows nowadays are framed in both 4:3 and 16:9. I don't get why there's all this animosity toward Angel Season 2 being in WS(which it DOES look fine in, BTW) when other shows like CSI, The Dead Zone, Alias, 24, and Smallville are all let off the hook when they're released on DVD in 16:9.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
so right now this set looks screwed?
Pretty strong words. Looking at Adam Tyner's link provided earlier in this thread, nothing in those comparison shots looks too egregious. (in fact some look better in 1.85 to my eye, the shot w/ Cordy, Angel and Wes, the one w/ Angel choking the guy, are two specific ones I prefer in 1.85)

Minear had one specific instance about inappropriate equipement in a shot, and who is to say they won't rectify that shot in some way (digital effects being much cheaper nowadays).

I'm not going to get into the evangelical arguments between OAR, MAR, intent, etc. since no one here has heard a peep from the official source.

I do think this serves to prove the classic point: You can't please all of the people all of the time. I remember even after Whedon's insert on Buffy as to why it wasn't 16:9 that people were complaining anyway. Now we have the reverse situation and a whole different set of people are complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks