What's new

Angel Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I really wouldnt buy this season.

It was ok to view once, but the majority of the season was kind of a let down in my opinion. The season had a few strong episodes, but not enough for me to purchase or view the season in it's entirity again.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I agree with you. There were quite a few bummer episodes, and I'm not sure I like the wpin the show took, but the puppet episode was so damn good!

Gord

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a bit "bleh" in the first 7 or so episodes. But it really picked up for me after "Damage". Plus I'm a completist.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, Gord,...Really? I thought this was the best season of any TV show I've ever seen. It may have been a subtle season, but the strengths were in the underlying themes and respecified metaphors. Plus, it made me get teary multiple times, which rarely happens to me for most shows. And, yeah, Puppet Angel!

I just hope they don't cut off the beginning of "Shells."

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I thought quality was slightly down from seaosn 4, but season 4 was very good, so that's to be expected. Angel's final season was a lot better than Buffy's, at any rate.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The first few episodes were suck-tastic, but the final 12 episodes were fantastic. Season 5 probably has more great episodes than any of the other seasons. I'll have to re-watch the whole thing, but this may trump season 4 as my favorite.

Definitely.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I would always say I wouldn't buy this season (when the first episodes were airing).

After seeing the puppet episode, a hole in the world, shells, and the many fantastic episodes leading up until the finale... I'll be getting this one for sure.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator

I definately wouldn't hold my breath on that one. They cut the previously beginning on 'The Gift' for Buffy (and that was a recap of all five seasons), so I don't think a random season 5 episode's previously of Angel will make the cut.

Season 5 of Angel wasn't the best, but it was still great IMO. But then again I'm a total Spike fan, so that helped.

And like Eddy, I'm a completist (thats the only reason the steaming pile of dung known as 'Alias Season 3' is making it into my collection ;) ).

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what show you guys were watching, I thought Season 5 of Angel was one of the best the show has ever had. Definately a step up from the mess of Season 4.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor

I think what he meant was the actual beginning scene of the episode. With the track record of season 2 and 3, they'd probably slice off the Illyria/Wes scene at the beginning because they're too stupid to realize it bleeds into the previously but is not part of the previously.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I think that I understand the negative impression by a few of this season in spite of the high quality of so many of its episodes. Without going into spoilers, I think that the show got a bit too "kill-happy" towards its prominent case members.

Watching the past seasons, I get a bit sad about the sheer number of (admittedly fictional) characters killed off in the course of this show. I'm glad that Buffy avoided this temptation.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'll go with the camp that hated the first half of the season to the point where I almost turned it off permanantly (WB's fault) but the last part of the season was just amazing and as good as any other Season of Angel. There are more decent episodes in Season 5 of Angel then there were in each of Buffy's last two seasons.

Bring on the DVD. I cant wait!
Cast commentary would be Heavenly!

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I'll buy it, no question. Gotta have the complete series on DVD. But I agree the season was too "kill-happy". Knowing how it all ends kinda makes it hard for me to enjoy the first few seasons... What can I say, I've always preferred a happy ending. I think real life is depressing enough and our entertainment should be more like escapism, and leave us with a hopeful, glad-to-be-alive kind of feeling. But I know a lot of people like the dark stuff.

Smile Time (the puppet ep) was my favorite of season 5 too. It's the way I thought Angel (and Buffy, for that matter) should always be. The perfect blend of humour and horror.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, considering how Joss felt when they axed the show... I'd say he did a very good job of sharing his grief. :frowning:

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
Well to those that thought the season was too kill-happy, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Why do you think there were too many people killed off? Aside from the finale, which we all knew SOMEONE had to die, how was this season too out of the ordinary? Fred died, as did Cordelia. Cordelia died only because there was next to nothing else to do with her character, and Charisma wasn't going to do the show anymore. It isn't as if the writers said "Who shall we kill?" and decided, "Cordy!". Fred is the only cast member I can see that was strictly storyline-driven.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Agreed. The only time the show seemed kill-happy to me was the finale, which I liked quite a bit.

I recorded SVCDs of the episodes as they aired, and watched the first few episodes the other night. Of the first 11, I only really like Hellbound, Lineage, and Damage. On the other hand, I think the 12-22 provides most of the great episodes of the series. Especially You're Welcome, Shells, Smiletime, and the finale.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if it will be out any earlier in R2? At least I'll get the "previously on" stuff.

Ted

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

DVD Times said a while back that R2 likely wouldn't get Season 5 til 2005. Whether that means before or after R1 remains to be seen.

I'll probably get the R2 set regardless. First, because it'll have the "Previously on" intros(even though there were only 3 of them, I still want them on there). And second, because it'll match better with the 4 other R2 sets on my shelf.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Another completist here, but I have no problems picking up Angel S5. More reticence on the part of Buffy S7, but that's motivated out of completism. Alias S3, less so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks