What's new

Angel season 4 DVD set (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Conner grew up in an abusive hell dimension. Who wouldnt be a little off their rocker? Sure, some here will say they had it worse growing up with their parents. But, for the sake of the show, lets just pretend.

Anyways, I thought the season was decent,but ould have been better.

If you dont like a darker tone, you probably will not like it. To be honest, I sometimes like a darker tone. I like 24 which some hate because of it's gloomy and violent tone.

Happy tones can be nice too. But for the first half of Angel S:5, I was utterly bored. Fortunately, the show picked up some steam around 5:12 (when continuity picks back up) and gave us some really decent episodes.

I also prefer shows of Arcs and continuity as well. The Monster of the Week thing grows old to me quick even though some are nicely done.

***Some Spoilers for those who have not seen Season 4, so beware***

I Still wish Angel S4 would have went as originally planned. I liked the original ideas much better before Charismas pregnancy. Her leaning to fight in S3 (which was suppose to be taken further in S4, but is basically dropped altogether), her higher power status, etc., would all serve it's purpose by the end of S4. Things just fleshed better in their original form before major re-writes had to occur. Unfortunately, things happen. Truth be told, if not for having to change most of the seasons arcs and writing in a pregnancy, the season would have probably been better and Cordy's storyline would have been better. She would have never slept with Conner, the goofy baby subplot would be gone, and much would be different. This was really meant to be a season about Angel and Cordy for the most part. The season was originally very centered around them. Things just didnt work out. She also would have probably still been on the show for S5 most likely. Oh well, sometimes these things happen.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Is there a website that reveals what S4 was supposed to be like? I'm interested in where it was going before stuff changed.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
This season is actually really good watched back to back. It's like a movie, I really love it.

Watching it though, knowing this is one of the last times we'd ever see Charisma as Cordelia is really depressing. :frowning:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Season 5's "You're Welcome" is definitely one of the high points of the entire season, so it doesn't get me too depressed.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm now up to when a certain Sunny breath of fresh air blew into the hotel...and improved the show for at least 45 minutes. Nice.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Just got into this series earlier this year. I went out and got S1-3 and picked up S4 last week. Really enjoyed it. I wanted to ask though:

Is Jasmine one of the Powers That Be or is she a hell goddess like Glorificus on Buffy? She didn't want to destroy the world, just bring it under her 'ordered' rule. Compared to the lives that Wolfram and Hart were prepared to take in their apocalypse, Jasmine was taking only a few lives. Are the PTB and the Senior Partners alot closer than we were lead to believe in earlier seasons? Is this going to be explained better in S5?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I believe it was strongly implied if not outright stated that Jasmine was one of the Powers That Be and chose to take a more active role in world events. Up until that point, it seemed as if the PTBs were more hands off, only stepping in when it served a purpose(like what happens in Season 5's "You're Welcome).

And regarding the major events in Season 4 and their relation to Jasmine, the Beast wiping out the L.A. branch of Wolfram & Hart was because they had their own apocalypse they'd been preparing for and would've done everything in their power to prevent Jasmine from being born. As far as the forever night and Angelus, they were merely distractions for Team Angel so Cordy could give birth to Jasmine. Granted, Mutant Enemy was making this up as they went along thanks to Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy, but that being said, they did a pretty good job.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
But all the Beast did was wipe out the LA branch of Wolfram and Hart. Apparently, W&H has mulitple branch offices in the US and all over the world.

I should think that wiping out an entire branch office of the organization would bring down the wrath of the entire firm against whoever destroyed the LA branch.

If we look at the Beast as only a distraction, then it would probably have worked. They only knew the Beast was serving a master because Angelus figured it out... and bringing Angelus out of Angel was a part of Jasmine's plan as well.

It's hard to say for certain if Jasmine was a Power or not. I think that Gunn's comment was as closely as it was stated.

We really don't know much about the Powers, other than that they're sort of a deus ex machina that sends Angel on missions. Is it a sort of "God" counterpart to the First Evil or Wolfram & Hart's "Satan?" Or could the PTB be some kind of Pantheon of Pagan Gods? With the Oracles from the first season, this would seem to be a likely explanation.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Spike didn't say how long it took vampires to get all skeletoned. Angel was down there four months and it's not like he was burning a lot of calories, so maybe the effects were minimal.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Watching Episode 20 Fred says "I'd take that (being able to feel pain and regret) over being a shell anyday." Rather sad in light of what is to come...

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I'm finally looking at the Seeason 4 packaging. Why does Fox consistently screw up with packaging for Buffy and Angel dvds? The box has quotes which spoil angelus returning, faith returning, the beast blocking out the sun, and the rain of fire
. Theres way more quotes or images in this season that were iconic that didn't spoil the big events, which I'm realizing right now just from watching only disc 2 of the season which is before 3 of the things they spoiled even happened.:thumbsdown:

BTW, I thought there was plenty of humor in this season. I got plenty of chuckles out of disc 2 of Angel S4. The thing about this season is that its not like the later seasons of Buffy. This season actually has jokes WITHIN the serious scenes, which Buffy did in its early seasons. The later seasons of Buffy had a serious scene(buffy and spike..or willow and tara), then a comic relief scene(aka xander and anya). While this season of Angel actually has all the characters get in a good joke.

I was just watching Habeas Corpses, and Connor the most moody character of all got a good scene with Angel where he asks Angel what zombies are and Angel says they're slow dim-witted dead things and Connor says "like you?" and theres more but don't want to ruin it all for people who haven't seen it.. But anyhow, this scene was also played as serious. I love that aspect in the show.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Is there anyone out there that can list for me (or point the way to a link) that would tell me what commentaries are on which episodes/discs and by whom?

We have some Angel fans coming over tonight and I don't want to wade thru the wholw set beforehand to see what's what. It gets very terdious waiting thru all the FOX logos and disclaimers.

Its a shame that they can't just list the Special features on the Buffy and Angel sets.

...And if there is a particularly good commentary, let me know! Thanks in advance.

Ric

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Just finished my Angel: Season 4 set...
  • Spin the Bottle - With Joss Whedon (Creator) and Alexis Denisof (Wesley)
  • Apocolypse Nowish - With Vern Gillum (Director) and Steven S. DeKnight (Writer)
  • Orpheus - With Terrance O'Hara (Director) and Jeffrey Bell (Co-Executive Producer)
  • Inside Out - With Steven S. DeKnight (Writer/Director)
  • Magic Bullet - With Jeffrey Bell (Writer/Director)
  • Home - With Tim Minear

There you are... I don't believe I missed any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks