What's new

Angel Season 1... when??? (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
OK! Maybe it’s late but I have to ask this. What is syndication? I mean what happens when they hit syndication? What is the deal with the TV series in the US?
I'll give it a shot, even though I'll probably be corrected.

In America there are the four major and two minor over-the-air broadcast networks. (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox = major / UPN and WB = minor) These are the primary markets where the shows like Frasier, Friends, X-Files, Buffy and Angel get sold to and shown the first time (in addition to re-runs). After a certain number of episodes the owners of these shows can sell the repeats to local television stations and/or cable channels. Since America is so large and there are so many local stations to sell to, the revenue can quickly run into the 10's or 100's of millions or even billions of dollars. That is why the starts of Frasier of Friends can ask for such large salaries and usually get them.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Thanks! I have heard that the Friends stars ask now for 1 million for the (if) new season! Can you imagine that! One million per person for one episode of a TV show!

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Adam,
Unfortunately, some Warner discs in R4 (Australia) are in the NTSC format, despite the fact that Australia uses the PAL broadcast standard :angry: [And nope, I'm not getting into a PAL vs NTSC debate here! :D ]
While the R4 price may be cheaper, I liked the R2 packaging far more for being compact in size and far more innovative in presentation than R4.
(And yes, it cost me almost 50% more to get the R2 version :frowning: )
Angela

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Does the "5 year" rule before syndication and video release also apply to VHS tapes? I seem to remember X-Files and Buffy tapes (abiet "best of" collections) released before the end of their respective fifth seasons. Am I wrong about this or can tapes be released before syndication?

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator
R4 Angel - Season 2 is released on the 27th March. I'm not sure about the aspect ratio though.

Unless your one of those people who can't stand PAL i'd say it's definately worth getting the R4 set. It's a great show, and well worth the money. Sure beats waiting a couple of years too!

Rob Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I actually like the R4 packaging. R2 probably looks "cooler" (it is kind of like a book) but I think the R4 sets may stand the test of time better. R4 discs are in regular amaray cases. Of course they will end up taking up a huge amount of shelf space.

I liked Jane Espenson's Commentary. The Whedon and Greenwalt commentary was decent but not as good as i had hoped.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Tony: Those VHS releases, as far as I know, didn't include full seasons. I'd imagine that'd be the difference...

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, some Warner discs in R4 (Australia) are in the NTSC format, despite the fact that Australia uses the PAL broadcast standard [And nope, I'm not getting into a PAL vs NTSC debate here! ]
So, is Angel in PAL or NTSC?

Will I need a "standards converter" to watch PAL? If so, where can I get one inexpensively? My DVD player is already multi-region (via remote "hack").

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unless you're running an HTPC, have a Malata, Apex, or Daewoo, your player will not convert an NTSC signal. It may pass one however
Getting a Malata is cheaper than getting a decent NTSC/PAL converter ;)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I've heard of companies that sell modded JVC XV-SA60BK players. They're region selectable with a couple remote keystrokes, can convert PAL>NTSC, Macrovision free, and are generally more reliable (I've been reading mixed reviews about Malata QC). Plus the JVC is less expensive, about $220. Any thoughts on this?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The new Malatas are upgradeable if there's a firmware problem. Just burn the upgrade to a CD, flip a switch on the back, insert disc and wait a minute

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks