What's new

Angel Season 1... when??? (1 Viewer)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting patiently for release info on this, but I've either not been paying attention (likely) or they've still not announced the street date. Anyone have info?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
You're in luck if you have a region-free capable player and don't mind importing a set from R2/R4. If you're hoping for an R1 release, you'll probably going to be in for a long wait. It doesn't look as if Angel will see the light of DVD until the series goes into syndication, which is a couple of years away. Ideally, I'd like to see this set released alongside season 4 of Buffy, as unrealistic as that is, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I do have a region free player, but it doesn't do the PAL>NTSC conversion. Are the R2/R4 discs in NTSC?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Unless something unique happens (hope does spring eternal), a R1 Angel season one box set will not appear until after it is in syndication. It is unlikely to be sold into syndication until after it has been around for four seasons which would be at least a year and a half from now.

Regards,

M

MaxY

Actually syndication usually starts at the begining of the 4th season and usually you won't see shows on DVD until after they have aired once in syndication.

I have not followed Angel much, though I am now watching it, I think Angel just started its second season this year.

So it looks like you will have to wait until at least another 1 year and a half or so.

Max

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actually syndication usually starts at the begining of the 4th season and usually you won't see shows on DVD until after they have aired once in syndication.
Are you sure about that , Max? I can't think of a show that lasted five seasons whose syndication began without at least four seasons worth of episodes in the can. Buffy had 4-1/2 seasons and 100 eps before it was syndicated. X-files was four seasons and 97 or so episodes. ER, NYPD Blue, ...the list goes on.

Regards,

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just saw a nice box-set of the complete Angel season 1 here! R1 is way behind when it comes to TV series! :D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought '66' was the minimum for syndication. I think there are a lot of comedies that hit syndication after 3 and stay on the air...stuff like 'Drew Cary', 'Just Shoot Me'.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
65 is indeeed one of the magic numbers, but Angel won't hit syndication until after it's reached the 100 episode mark. Perhaps this is due to the type of series it is. Maybe 65 is considered enough for half-hour comedies, but hour long dramas don't have the same sort of replay value airing every weekday.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
So, to play R4/R2 discs I'll need a PAL>NTSC converter as well as a region free player? Are all R4/R2 discs in PAL?

I'm really wanting this series and I don't think I'll be able to hold out for 2 years to get it. Besides, R4 Angel Season 1 for $75US (shipped) sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Not all discs from R2 and R4 are in PAL (the great majority are; Japan is one exception, and I believe some catalog titles in Australia are released in NTSC...or I read something to that effect recently). I'm not aware of a release of an NTSC Angel DVD set in any region, though.

M

MaxY

Ken As others have said the number is 65 eps before it goes to syndication but from what I have seen it almost always starts at the begining of the forth season. Home Improvement, Sienfeld, Cheers, Night Court, and others but then again I seem to noitce this about sitcoms, maybe something is different for hour long shows, I just thought hour long shows were harder to sell in syndication.

If the 65 number is correct then I guess you could figure most shows do between 22-24 eps a year which would work out to the start of the 4th season.

Max

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought that a show usually went into syndication at the beginning of the 5th season. I know that was the case with ER, Friends, Party of Five, Mad About You, X-Files, and many other shows. I always just assumed that this was because they had close to 100 episodes in the can.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Most dramas do not hit syndication till year 5 is finished, I don't expect Angel DVDs till early 2005, unless Mr. Staddon tells us different. Please do Mr. Staddon, because unless you tell us they're coming within the next year, I'm buying the region 2 discs. I'm sorry, but I'm not waiting 3 years for what i can have now

Anders Englund

Second Unit
FYI. Angel - Season 2 is released in R2 on April 15th. The season 1 box set is great. I actually like this series better than Buffy.

--Anders

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I also understand that the R2/4 Series 2 of Angel and Series 4 of Buffy will both be in anamorphic widescreen.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
OK! Maybe it’s late but I have to ask this. What is syndication? :b I mean what happens when they hit syndication? What is the deal with the TV series in the US?

M

MaxY

Sam,

It is pretty simple. Until a TV series hits syndication it is only shown on Network Prime Time and usually once a week, usually only with shows from the current season.

When a show goes in to syndication then it gets show by other networks but on eps that are not from the current season. So you would have networks showing first run shows and then indepents or channels like USA, Sci Fi, or WTBS showing non-current reruns at different time periods during the day.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks