What's new

Angel Heart R2 : How are the video image, commentary, and the cut scene ? (1 Viewer)

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I own the U.K. version released by Momentum and it does indeed include the cock fighting scene that was previously cut by the BBFC,although I suspect that this is a mistake on the part of Momentum as the BBFC website says that it is still missing this scene.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen it, but I recall a bunch of complaints about the video quality: it goes all wobbly for significant periods seemed to be the general theme. Some claimed not to notice it.

Jason*O

Grip
The commentary by Parker is one of the more interesting ones I've heard from a major director. He is open with his discussion of the production, symbols, responds to critics (Kael in particular) and even confesses that he put in a gratuitous nude scene to cover up exposition. A very good listen - and for me - worth picking up the disc for instead of the cheap, R1 counterpart.

Jason
My Website

Juan C

Second Unit
Yeah, the transfer is good, and so is the commentary. When Harry Angel goes into the doctor's house, Parker says (I paraphrase), "This scene looks very good. So good, in fact, that years later they copied it for Seven." Ouch.

The UK Angel Heart has to be one of the worst DVDs I've seen.

The shimmering (artefacting) is so bad I sent my disc back.

The Region 1 Artisan disc is by far the superior -although not perfect. It's uncut of course and unrated (some artwork showed it as rated).

The best place to see the shimmering is the start of the film in the alley way -look at the buildings against the light.

It looks like something from The Matrix.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I really can not understand how anybody could not notice the big, and I mean BIG compression artifacts marring this edition. They have to be seen to be believed.

Just look at the building facades at the beginning of the film, doing something that I can only describe as "throbbing" or "breathing", along with a car's back that seems to protrude and retract.

Or Mickey Rourke's face decomposing at the very ending.

It's only too bad, because the menus are a beauty and Parker's commentary track makes this quite an interesting edition.

But, again, I think I'm not exaggerating here when I tell you that this has to be the worst looking DVD in my whole collection (and I own BUFFY Season 2 UK release and the infamous Republic's HIGHLANDER!).

:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks