What's new

Angel Has Fallen (2019) (1 Viewer)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Not sure if this is this forum showing its best or worst, or both, but it is entertaining, but also a bit sad, reading this thread about a meh movie in the great scheme of things (that I'll probaby like, as I liked the previous two, as they were) turning personal with people I respect and have read for many years.
If I were a moderator, I'd say 'get in line', but I'll just say, it's just a movie guys, loosen up. No need to take every remark personally, and no need to make remarks than can be taken that way.
We're all here for our love of movies, right!?
Or am I out of line now? If so, moderator, just scratch this post.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not sure if this is this forum showing its best or worst, or both, but it is entertaining, but also a bit sad, reading this thread about a meh movie in the great scheme of things (that I'll probaby like, as I liked the previous two, as they were) turning personal with people I respect and have read for many years.
If I were a moderator, I'd say 'get in line', but I'll just say, it's just a movie guys, loosen up. No need to take every remark personally, and no need to make remarks than can be taken that way.
We're all here for our love of movies, right!?
Or am I out of line now? If so, moderator, just scratch this post.
I think we have move on so let's leave it alone please. Contrary opinions are welcome and they should be respected the same as opinions we agree with.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Across the 2 sequels, do we get an explanation how Morgan Freeman went from Speaker of the House in "Olympus" to VP in "London" to president in "Angel"?

Wondering if the movies bother to show his political progression or if they just hope we won't notice! :D
It may not be explained, but it seems like a natural progression.

The VP was killed in the first film, so President Asher needed a new VP. Trumbull is a natural choice having been "acting President" in the first film and instrumental in the downfall of the terrorists. He becomes VP in the second film, then eventually becomes President in the third after Asher's second term is up.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It may not be explained, but it seems like a natural progression.

The VP was killed in the first film, so President Asher needed a new VP. Trumbull is a natural choice having been "acting President" in the first film and instrumental in the downfall of the terrorists. He becomes VP in the second film, then eventually becomes President in the third after Asher's second term is up.

Thanks. I didn't remember that the VP died in "Olympus"!

Though in the real world, I think it's a stretch that a Speaker of the House would agree to become VP, as it's a step down in power. It's not unprecedented - LBJ was Senate Majority Leader when he agreed to run for VP with JFK and then Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey became VP after the 1964 election -but it's rare.

Not really a career path someone would take these days, IMO.

Woulda been nice to get some explanation - it wouldn't have taken more than 2-3 lines of dialogue per movie.

Kinda feels like the producers just hope we won't notice! :D

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Thanks. I didn't remember that the VP died in "Olympus"!

Though in the real world, I think it's a stretch that a Speaker of the House would agree to become VP, as it's a step down in power. It's not unprecedented - LBJ was Senate Majority Leader when he agreed to run for VP with JFK and then Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey became VP after the 1964 election -but it's rare.

Not really a career path someone would take these days, IMO.

Woulda been nice to get some explanation - it wouldn't have taken more than 2-3 lines of dialogue per movie.

Kinda feels like the producers just hope we won't notice! :D
Seems to me that this type of film doesn’t need elaborate dialog to fill in the gaps- the audience can’t hear the lines due to their chomping on the popcorn :P

I saw Olympus (just OK), didn’t see London, so I doubt I’ll see Angel (I am a pretty big Butler fan).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Seems to me that this type of film doesn’t need elaborate dialog to fill in the gaps- the audience can’t hear the lines due to their chomping on the popcorn :P

I saw Olympus (just OK), didn’t see London, so I doubt I’ll see Angel (I am a pretty big Butler fan).

No, a movie like this doesn't need info to fill gaps, but it'd be nice. It'd take like 2 lines of dialogue.

I think the filmmakers assume no one will notice or care!

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Gaps!? These are senseless action movies with about as much plot as a screen door on a battleship. All you need to know is that the bad guys kill people, then the good guys kill people and, in the end, we are all out of popcorn.

Also, I'm so sick and tired of the shaky cam action scenes. When will Hollywood grow tired of this boring, lazy film making technique.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My wife and I saw AHF as an A-List selection today, in Dolby Cinema.

Went in with zero expectations, but we were both surprised by how much we liked it. Yes, it's mindless action, but it kept us entertained the entire two hours. Maybe the most pure escapist fun I've had at a movie this summer, and I've seen about 50 of them since May. Not the best by any means, but among the most fun in a cotton candy sense.

And we really liked the DC presentation. Atmos is IMO the best theater sound system out there, and this movie takes full advantage of it.

gary osborne

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
I really like the movie. I expected some mindless fighting and some blockbuster actions scenes like the ones from mission impossible and hobbs and shaw in angel has fallen but no, it is far better than that. The director tried to convey that violence isn't the answer to all the problems.
I didn't lose my interest in the movie at any point. It was worth the time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is actually doing better at the box office than the prior film through the first two weekends, and with a much lower production budget it should be a profitable film for Lionsgate. Perhaps another sequel is in the future.

gary osborne

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
This is actually doing better at the box office than the prior film through the first two weekends, and with a much lower production budget it should be a profitable film for Lionsgate. Perhaps another sequel is in the future.
Yes without much of a promotion, its doing really good!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just saw this. It's a very average movie and they had a great opportunity in front of their face and they didn't use it. I have not read the whole thread so don't know if this idea has been mentioned or not.

Spoilers:

They have a corrupt acting president, now the best ending (exciting and for various reasons!) would have been for him not wanting to leave. Instead of an average shootout at a random building, the acting president would be in the White House with his private army and the need is to attack the WH and forcefully remove him. That would have been cinematic and better than what we have. This is entertainment, don't tell me it's unrealistic! ;)

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
During the past week have watched Olympus Has Fallen, London Has Fallen, White House Down, and enjoyed them all, particularly Olympus. Streamed Angel last night and was very disappointed, it should have been named Budget Has Fallen. Terrible derivative actioner and everyone looked so old! Clearly most of the budget went on Gerry and Morgan's salaries. In the past a Friday night visit to the video rental store would have offered better straight to video films. Time to retire guys.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Caught up with this one tonight and still had a good time though, as noted, Gerard Butler isn't aging very well (he's only 51, but looks closer in age to Morgan Freeman who's more than 30 years older). The writing was pretty clumsy, with the villains clearly obvious from the get-go. Hadn't seen Nick Nolte in anything for a while. He provided some nice comic relief and a couple good dramatic scenes, too. Obviously lower budget than the others, but I didn't see anything particularly egregious with regard to the production.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Caught up with this one tonight and still had a good time though, as noted, Gerard Butler isn't aging very well (he's only 51, but looks closer in age to Morgan Freeman who's more than 30 years older).

I always feel a little bad/catty when I mention that, but man - what the heck happened to Butler?

"300" wasn't that long ago! :(

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I watched this yesterday (UHD BluRay). Seems to fit comfortably with the first 2 films- Butler
playing the kick ass good guy, lots and lots of
bullets flying, and not awful dialog. I wasn’t disappointed in it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I saw this back in September when we were trying to escape triple-digit Fresno heat while killing time before a red eye flight back to the east coast. It was an entertaining enough way to spend a couple hours in air conditioning. I liked it a lot more than the second film, which was poorly constructed and even more xenophobic than the first film (which was a fun Die Hard in the White House experience).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have had 300 in my BluRay collection forever, and I still haven’t gotten around to watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks