1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Angel Has Fallen (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SamT, May 17, 2019.

1. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Not sure if this is this forum showing its best or worst, or both, but it is entertaining, but also a bit sad, reading this thread about a meh movie in the great scheme of things (that I'll probaby like, as I liked the previous two, as they were) turning personal with people I respect and have read for many years.
    If I were a moderator, I'd say 'get in line', but I'll just say, it's just a movie guys, loosen up. No need to take every remark personally, and no need to make remarks than can be taken that way.
    We're all here for our love of movies, right!?
    Or am I out of line now? If so, moderator, just scratch this post.

benbess likes this.
  2. Message #42 of 52 Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think we have move on so let's leave it alone please. Contrary opinions are welcome and they should be respected the same as opinions we agree with.

Tino and Mikael Soderholm like this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It may not be explained, but it seems like a natural progression.

The VP was killed in the first film, so President Asher needed a new VP. Trumbull is a natural choice having been "acting President" in the first film and instrumental in the downfall of the terrorists. He becomes VP in the second film, then eventually becomes President in the third after Asher's second term is up.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Thanks. I didn't remember that the VP died in "Olympus"!

Though in the real world, I think it's a stretch that a Speaker of the House would agree to become VP, as it's a step down in power. It's not unprecedented - LBJ was Senate Majority Leader when he agreed to run for VP with JFK and then Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey became VP after the 1964 election -but it's rare.

Not really a career path someone would take these days, IMO.

Woulda been nice to get some explanation - it wouldn't have taken more than 2-3 lines of dialogue per movie.

Kinda feels like the producers just hope we won't notice! :D

benbess likes this.
  5. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Supporting Actor

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Seems to me that this type of film doesn’t need elaborate dialog to fill in the gaps- the audience can’t hear the lines due to their chomping on the popcorn :P

I saw Olympus (just OK), didn’t see London, so I doubt I’ll see Angel (I am a pretty big Butler fan).

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

No, a movie like this doesn't need info to fill gaps, but it'd be nice. It'd take like 2 lines of dialogue.

I think the filmmakers assume no one will notice or care!

7. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Gaps!? These are senseless action movies with about as much plot as a screen door on a battleship. All you need to know is that the bad guys kill people, then the good guys kill people and, in the end, we are all out of popcorn.

Also, I'm so sick and tired of the shaky cam action scenes. When will Hollywood grow tired of this boring, lazy film making technique.

8. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    My wife and I saw AHF as an A-List selection today, in Dolby Cinema.

Went in with zero expectations, but we were both surprised by how much we liked it. Yes, it's mindless action, but it kept us entertained the entire two hours. Maybe the most pure escapist fun I've had at a movie this summer, and I've seen about 50 of them since May. Not the best by any means, but among the most fun in a cotton candy sense.

And we really liked the DC presentation. Atmos is IMO the best theater sound system out there, and this movie takes full advantage of it.

benbess, DavidJ and Robert Crawford like this.
  9. gary osborne

gary osborne Auditioning

Gary
    I really like the movie. I expected some mindless fighting and some blockbuster actions scenes like the ones from mission impossible and hobbs and shaw in angel has fallen but no, it is far better than that. The director tried to convey that violence isn't the answer to all the problems.
    I didn't lose my interest in the movie at any point. It was worth the time.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This is actually doing better at the box office than the prior film through the first two weekends, and with a much lower production budget it should be a profitable film for Lionsgate. Perhaps another sequel is in the future.

gary osborne likes this.
  11. gary osborne

gary osborne Auditioning

Gary

Yes without much of a promotion, its doing really good!

Malcolm R likes this.
  12. Message #52 of 52 Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Just saw this. It's a very average movie and they had a great opportunity in front of their face and they didn't use it. I have not read the whole thread so don't know if this idea has been mentioned or not.

Spoilers:

They have a corrupt acting president, now the best ending (exciting and for various reasons!) would have been for him not wanting to leave. Instead of an average shootout at a random building, the acting president would be in the White House with his private army and the need is to attack the WH and forcefully remove him. That would have been cinematic and better than what we have. This is entertainment, don't tell me it's unrealistic! ;)