Angel Has Fallen (2019)

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Angel Has Fallen

Tagline: Fallen. Framed. Forced to Fight for His Life.

Genre: Action, Thriller

Director: Ric Roman Waugh

Cast: Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman, Tim Blake Nelson, Lance Reddick, Jada Pinkett Smith

Release: 2019-08-23

Plot: Secret Service Agent Mike Banning is framed for the attempted assassination of the President and must evade his own agency and the FBI as he tries to uncover the real threat.

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The first two were about bigger than life, government conspiracy, attacks. This one seems like a personal thing against Gerard Butler's character. In that case this will be out of tune compared to the first two. Was better to name it The Fugitive 2.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
The first two were about bigger than life, government conspiracy, attacks. This one seems like a personal thing against Gerard Butler's character. In that case this will be out of tune compared to the first two. Was better to name it The Fugitive 2.
The first one was a solid Die Hard in the White House movie. The second one was a sloppy, xenophobic mess. I like that they've scaled it back down for this one.

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I actually don't remember in detail what happened. :) What happened in the second one that you call it xenophobic? If you call the second one that, the first one could also be called that.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
I actually don't remember in detail what happened. :) What happened in the second one that you call it xenophobic? If you call the second one that, the first one could also be called that.
They were both xenophobic to a degree, but in the first one it was in the background and in the second one it was in the foreground.

In Olympus Has Fallen, the North Koreans are a means to an end: a way to trap Gerard Butler inside the White House with the president and a bunch of bad guys with guns.

In London Has Fallen, Pakistani terrorists have evidently infiltrated all levels of British government and brown people from the Middle East are basically slotted into the same role as Communists were in the fifties and sixties. Setting that aside, it's just not as good of a movie; the White House setting in the first film offered us a glimpse into a place we all know but few can explore fully. It was also a confined space that made for more inventive action set pieces. London, as a setting, is too big and too diffuse for that kind of storytelling.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
The first one was a solid Die Hard in the White House movie. The second one was a sloppy, xenophobic mess. I like that they've scaled it back down for this one.
I thought "Olympus" was beyond awful:

http://dvdmg.com/olympushasfallen.shtml

Didn't review the 2nd one - not even sure I saw it.

Surprised they continue to make these movies, as the first 2 weren't big hits. I guess they're inexpensive enough that they turn a modest profit!

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Surprised they continue to make these movies, as the first 2 weren't big hits. I guess they're inexpensive enough that they turn a modest profit!
I don't think they made anything off the first one ($70m budget vs. $170m worldwide gross), so I was kind of surprised when the second one appeared. But that was a slightly bigger hit ($60m budget vs. $206m gross), so I suppose they're hopeful that they have a growing/expanding franchise on their hands and this one will be even bigger.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I don't think they made anything off the first one ($70m budget vs. $170m worldwide gross), so I was kind of surprised when the second one appeared. But that was a slightly bigger hit ($60m budget vs. $206m gross), so I suppose they're hopeful that they have a growing/expanding franchise on their hands and this one will be even bigger.
I guess. I did assume this was one of those franchises redeemed by non-US grosses.

Still seems like they're playing with narrow profit margins, and it's not like the "Has Fallen" flicks seem to have some cult status ala "John Wick".

I remain astonished that studios still hire Gerard Butler as a lead actor. He makes movies that fizzle at the box office!

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
It definitely "borrows" from "Fugitive", but it's also a big conspiracy movie.

A ludicrous conspiracy, but since the other movies were stupid, why should this one be any different?

Liked Nick Nolte, but the rest sucked!

Doug Wallen

Lead Actor
Supporter
Real Name
Doug
Predictable who was behind the conspiracy and set up. Even with that, the action was interesting and I really liked Nick Nolte and Morgan Freeman was "presidential".

Reactions: Robert Crawford

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I thought it was okay, maybe a little too morose here and there, could have used some more levity.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bart T