What's new

Ang Lee on the Hulk DVD (already!) (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
If I recall correctly, doesn't the director have to sign off on the video transfer? The pan and scan would be a completely different transfer, he could refuse to sign off so perhaps there won't even be one! :)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I wished they'd us a directors cut. Universal reportedly pushed him to redo some scenes to make it more accessible for the summer blockbuster audience.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
The film (I saw 4 short clips) uses what would best be described as a comic book paneling technique. This effect would probably be destroyed on a Pan & Scan transfer.

It is a very cool effect that I think the Hulk geeks (me) will love.

Doug

Joel C

Screenwriter
We haven't even seen the film and already we want the director's cut? That must be some kind of record.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Yes! No pan-and-scan version! Actually I'll believe it when I see it since Universal is known for putting out way too many versions of one film on release day. I've always wondered why the directors themselves don't put a stop to this.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
“I don’t even want to do pan-and-scan,” he said, referring to the reformatting often done to fill the square TV screen. “All I care [about] is the letterbox.”
Ang Lee is my new hero!!! I wish more directors would put their foot down on widescreen DVD releases.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Hmm, I wished they'd us a directors cut. Universal reportedly pushed him to redo some scenes to make it more accessible for the summer blockbuster audience.
Actually, Lee stated in an interview that Universal pretty much let him have free reign, so all the blame should be directed at him if the film sucks (like that'll happen).

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Since im 1 of the biggest hulk fans, i think they should include this on the dvd, remember on the spiderman dvd , they had the spiderman comic book archives ? I would really appreciate it and enjoy it if universal did something similar on the hulk dvd. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Glad to hear Ang's not a big fan of the ol' pan & scan.

It'll be interesting to see the final specs of the disc.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Whoops, looks like I made a duplicate thread. Maybe they'll make a super-special edition in widescreen and a barebones pan and scan version...

Chuck L

Screenwriter
This movie looks like it would be pan and scan hell anyway...so Ang gets a thumb up on this decision. That is the way he shot the film, it would be the same if it was unrated, that was the way it was meant to be, it is the way it should be presented.

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
There is going to be a pan and scan version for the VHS release even if Ang doesn't help with it, so you can probably expect a dual release, I can't imagine a big movie like this coming out only in widescreen.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
We need more directors putting their foot down.
Before, the DVD release!
Not just complaining about how the studio butchered their film, after the video release.

Oh, and I finally figured out why Ang(er) got to direct The Hulk! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks