Anechoic chambers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I was reading some online info on anechoic chambers after being interested in a small blurb about them in a Paradigm flyer. When you are in one of these what does it sound like? If you shouted would it seem like you were not in a room at all? Is it possible to go in one of these or are they only used for special testing? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it kind of interested me.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Your voice sounds different because the majority of received sound comes from within your body. You can easily hear your heart beat as well as a weird hum which is evidently your nervous system. I was in one for some special hearing tests... it's definitely uncomfortable & some people panic.

3. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

I got to go in one for an acoustics lab while a student at Georgia Tech. I heard a ringing in my ears while in there with everyone quiet. You would hear yourself shouting, but you wouldn't hear any echoes.
    On a side note, the floor of the chamber I was in was a wire mesh supported by springs, which made it very tempting to jump like you would on a trampoline. [​IMG]

4. Nathan Cook

Nathan Cook Agent

i was in one of those for about 10 years

5. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

It is alledged that very little of the acoustical energy emitted in the room returns to the source if no other objects are present in the room(as in the case of a person standing in the chamber alone speaking). Of course acoustic energy has to travel through a medium in order to propogate and so the air itself will produce reflections that return to the ears. The human body itself will of course conduct sound as it is 71% water and sound travels much faster in water than in air. The interior construction of the chamber is designed to produce a transmission coefficient near 100%. This would imply that almost none of the acoustic energy that impinges on the walls and floor of the chamber is reflected. They are heavily insulated to attenuate ambient noise from the outside world. I have heard these referred to as "dead rooms."