What's new

Andy Griffith Show: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I did a search today and found the price for this is now at reasonable levels. I found it (and purchased it) at Deep Discount for just under $29, and Amazon has it for $35.

This is much more reasonable than the $117 original price.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I finally got this at a reasonable price too, and having gotten it, realized I didn't need it. In my opinion the HD is soft. I love the home movies, and of course I'll watch this version of season one over my DVD set, but after seeing the quality of the HD, I am more than content with the DVDs for the rest of the series (minus the missing footage, that is).

Glad I didn't spend $70 on it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see this thread get a bump.

I just picked up a used copy of this for $19.99 (and then got a 2nd TV season set for just $1--at my local FYE)!

Personally, I'm thrilled.

I think the PQ looks damn good. I think I only got the first few seasons of TAGS on DVD. Making my way through these episodes has been a ton of fun!

I found a great, cheap copy of I Love Lucy on Blu for cheap, too! Haven't cracked that open yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:

I just picked up a used copy of this for $19.99 (and then got a 2nd TV season set for just $1--at my local FYE)!

I think the PQ looks damn good. I think I only got the first few seasons of TAGS on DVD. Making my way through these episodes has been a ton of fun!

I found a great, cheap copy of I Love Lucy on Blu for cheap, too! Haven't cracked that open yet.
I Love Lucy is selling for $29.54 at Amazon. I have a bad feeling that not all of the seasons will come out on BD which is why I haven't bought it. Same with Andy Griffith.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Robert Crawford said:
I Love Lucy is selling for $29.54 at Amazon. I have a bad feeling that not all of the seasons will come out on BD which is why I haven't bought it. Same with Andy Griffith.

There definitely are two common but completely different perspectives on this scenario. I am satisfied to have both TAGS (first 5 seasons) and ILL complete on DVD, and I would be the happiest to have both on blu-ray. Given that the second option is not very likely, I am still happier to have what I is available on blu-ray (even if only a few seasons) mixed with the remaining DVDs then to have no blu-ray at all. I guess this is one of those cases where neither side will ever understand the other point of view.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Mike Frezon said:

I agree that TAGS is perfectly enjoyable on BD. I simply made the mistake of watching Dick Van Dyke on BD first, then immediately putting in a TAGS episode on BD--and was aghast at the difference. That's when I realized I was fine with having season one of TAGS on BD and the rest on DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Honestly, Alan...I think I'm with ya.

I only picked up this set (and Lucy) because of the incredibly low prices I found them for. I never would have gotten them otherwise.

If more ever come out, I'll be waiting for a similar circumstance of finding them at rock-bottom prices. Or else I won't get them.

If they don't come out. Oh well. At least I've got these.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Carabimero said:
I agree that TAGS is perfectly enjoyable on BD. I simply made the mistake of watching Dick Van Dyke on BD first, then immediately putting in a TAGS episode on BD--and was aghast at the difference. That's when I realized I was fine with having season one of TAGS on BD and the rest on DVD.
I was debating on whether to pick it up or not. I have the dvds but have heard TAGS Blu ray isn't that good I have heard great things about Dick Van Dyke show on Blu ray and I am really considering picking it up even though I have it on regular dvd.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Dick Van Dyke show on BD blows me away every time I watch it. I almost feel like I am in the studio the night they shot the episodes. TAGS is perfectly watchable but simply doesn't have the same WOW factor for me. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't double dip on the TAGS BD, even for $25. The upscaled DVDs are almost as good.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Blurayfan said:
I was debating on whether to pick it up or not. I have the dvds but have heard TAGS Blu ray isn't that good I have heard great things about Dick Van Dyke show on Blu ray and I am really considering picking it up even though I have it on regular dvd.

It's worth it. Especially when the complete series gets down to 50 or 60 bucks.

It was one of the shows, along with remastered TNG, that convinced me of the wonders of blu.

Also, having seen the way time and Scanavo cases have played havoc with my DVD sets, an upgrade was almost needed.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The Dick Van Dyke Show on blu is beautiful and the price for the complete series is extremely reasonable.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Carabimero said:
The Dick Van Dyke show on BD blows me away every time I watch it. I almost feel like I am in the studio the night they shot the episodes. TAGS is perfectly watchable but simply doesn't have the same WOW factor for me. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't double dip on the TAGS BD, even for $25. The upscaled DVDs are almost as good.

The Obsolete Man said:
It's worth it. Especially when the complete series gets down to 50 or 60 bucks.

It was one of the shows, along with remastered TNG, that convinced me of the wonders of blu.

Also, having seen the way time and Scanavo cases have played havoc with my DVD sets, an upgrade was almost needed.

Josh Steinberg said:
Add me as another voice to the chorus impressed by the quality on the Dick Van Dyke Blu-ray set - it's gorgeous!

ChrisALM said:
The Dick Van Dyke Show on blu is beautiful and the price for the complete series is extremely reasonable.

I just received the complete series on blu ray and I am stunned at the picture quality. I can't believe how awesome it looks! It leaves the I Love Lucy Blu ray releases in the dust. Too bad the first season of The Andy Griffith show is just as bad or worse than I Love Lucy.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I saw today that CBS will be airing two episodes on Christmas Day. Originally b&w episodes, but they've been colorized.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ron1973 said:
I saw today that CBS will be airing two episodes on Christmas Day. Originally b&w episodes, but they've been colorized.
Yes, the I Love Lucy colorized specials garner good ratings every year, so I'm not surprised CBS is trying it with Andy.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Matt Hough said:
Yes, the I Love Lucy colorized specials garner good ratings every year, so I'm not surprised CBS is trying it with Andy.
They added a couple of still shots and the color looks amazing. Maybe CBS is going to go down the colorization route more often?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Wonder what the point is. There's a reason for I Love Lucy since people are curious. But here, the later color seasons satisfied our curiosity about most such things like how the jail looked in color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks