What's new

Andy Griffith Show: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yikes what is wrong with CBS/Paramount, did they suddenly equate Andy Griffith with Star Trek? And I thought the proce of S1 of Rifleman was bad. 90 bucks ???? When you can get the first season on DVD for under $10. I saw AG on Netflix in HD so I figured it was coming but I can definitely wait, I don't buy disks when they come out anymore in fact I might wait until the entire series comes out and buy a complete series release, I'm just tired of getting screwed on Price.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I see Hawaii Five O the original is available on Amazon in HD, So maybe eventually but I wouldn't rebuy it, I'm sure it would look great but I'm not that big of a fan, now if they offered a trade in Deal and gave me a good discount maybe.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I don't need to spend $91 plus tax on a show that I already have in beautiful DVD transfers. I can definitely wait until the price drops substantially.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I think it is safe to say that anything within the CBS syndication bible that has been remastered to HD, and that the series has either been completely released or is on its way to being released will eventually get released again on Blu-ray at some point. Why wouldn't it, all the "heavy-lifting" has already been done. I'd put series like PJ and BH as maybe's.

It's hard to say how forward thinking some of the other studios have been because we don't have the same resources at our disposal to know what has been remastered to HD and what hasn't. I know CBS (like most studios from time to time) has made mistakes with releases, most notably what hasn't been remastered, music replacements, slow releases; but I think they should be commended in regards to how they have approached their HD remastering. And we have received some great video quality within the DVD's releases, as a result. The Fugitive can't be that far behind.

For me personally, I will probably double dip on a few titles over the years. Not many, just a few favorites. But first I will enjoy the DVD's I own. Other than the Star Trek franchise which I am currently picking up in Blu-ray, the rest I am in no hurry for and can pickup in sales in later years (5, 10, 15 whatever).

JeffT.

Deceased Member
If one reads the HTF discussion thread on MAYBERRY R.F.D. (CBS 1968-71) it was mentioned that some of the tags originally featured on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) with Andy and Barney were "missing" in the DVD release. Fine. Will this be rectified in the intended blu-ray release?!Since it was brought up in this discussion thread THE LUCY DESI COMEDY HOUR (CBS 1957-60) episode "Milton Berle Hides Out at the Ricardos" (25/09/1959) came up "short" in the DVD release at a running time of (roughly) 47 minutes . Now something must be missing there! Will this be corrected?!Jeff T.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I just don't see how this pricing model works. Most fans are not like Trekkies etc. Plus DVDs can be had for $10. I just don't see how this makes sense.

Frankly I don't see too many people rushing out to pay $50 for a set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
albert_m2 said:
Most fans are not like Trekkies etc.
Yeah, if they think that people are going to pay Trek prices, they're in for a big surprise. Star Trek had new effects footage created for it and Next Generation also had to go back to the negative and spend a boatload of money there too. Between those costs and knowing that Trek fans are willing to spend, I can see a $130 MSRP on those items but that kind of price on one season of a sitcom is pretty nuts.

All that being said, the $130 MSRP is apparently not official yet so hopefully, they're going to cut the price (my hope is that the MSRP is cut by at least half and the usual discount on top of that so it costs around $45).

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Dave Scarpa said:
I saw AG on Netflix in HD so I figured it was coming but I can definitely wait, I don't buy disks when they come out anymore in fact I might wait until the entire series comes out and buy a complete series release, I'm just tired of getting screwed on Price.
You'd likely be better off. There will probably be extras exclusive to the complete series.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
I think I will wait to see if all the seasons come out first before buying. I got burned last time on Return to Mayberry being on the complete dvd set and the prices were a lot lower for the complete series instead of buying each season. I hope all 8 seasons get released on Blu but with the prices set I keep thinking it's going to be another case of wondering if CBS will finish what they started.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
92108_large.jpg

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i sorta struggle to watch this show.

i think i was in season 2, and sorta stopped my watching.

i liked elinor donahue in season 1. and opie, of course.

but for me, too much of it centers around don knotts and somewhat slapstick stuff.

at least up til now. gomer hasnt come in yet.

i liked it okay as a kid. much less as an adult.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
LeoAmes said:
If this doesn't grab you, I doubt Gomer appearing will do anything but lessen your interest even further.

These B&W seasons are some of the very few in TV Land where I could watch an episode everyday for the rest of my life and not tire of it.
Is this a thread about TAGS or The Twilight Zone? I have to ask because I find it incomprehensible that someone wouldn't like Barney Fife and the rest of Mayberry. Like you, Leo, I put The Andy Griffith Show at the peak of rewatchability. Regardless of the mood I'm in, I can always plug in an episode from this series and be entertained for half an hour.

Gary "of course I'm not one to go into specific threads and then proverbially 'rain on the parade' of that release either" O.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Gary OS said:
Is this a thread about TAGS or The Twilight Zone? I have to ask because I find it incomprehensible that someone wouldn't like Barney Fife and the rest of Mayberry. Like you, Leo, I put The Andy Griffith Show at the peak of rewatchability. Regardless of the mood I'm in, I can always plug in an episode from this series and be entertained for half an hour.

Gary "of course I'm not one to go into specific threads and then proverbially 'rain on the parade' of that release either" O.
The first five seasons of The Andy Griffith Show are the funniest of all time IMO. The comedy of Don Knotts as Barney Fife makes this show a classic. I never tire of these episodes.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
LeoAmes said:
These B&W seasons are some of the very few in TV Land where I could watch an episode everyday for the rest of my life and not tire of it.
You nailed it for me as well, Leo. I've been introducing the series chronologically with an episode at a time to a close friend from Germany who had no prior knowledge of it and she has gotten so into it she bought the Complete Series for herself to watch again and again. She's told me on days when she's feeling down or lonely she pops in an episode of TAGS or GOMER and feels like she belongs somewhere. Anyone who just sees it as Barney's antics or thinks it's slapstick-centric doesn't get it and probably never will. That's ok, to each his own, but this is one series that cannot be so easily defined and to do so is a disservice.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:

I sat down and watched the very last episode a month or two ago when I heard Mayberry, RFD was getting a release. Even though the color episodes are thought less of, it was still entertaining. It's not slapstick comedy that you would get from Moe, Larry and Curly but it's funny nonetheless. It's something you're not going to be offended by. You can sit the kids down and watch it without worrying about an agenda or seeing something you have to explain.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Ron, was that the computer dating episode with Goober? That's a fine show, filled with character depth and poignant insight into human nature and behavior, a trademark of the series right up the very end.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Professor Echo said:
Ron, was that the computer dating episode with Goober? That's a fine show, filled with character depth and poignant insight into human nature and behavior, a trademark of the series right up the very end.
No, it was Mayberry, RFD where that Sam invites his friend Mario to help and he winds up bringing family members along.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Unless there is pricing similar to last year's complete series sets of Dick Van Dyke and Twilight Zone I don't see purchasing this or Lucy. I wonder how much a difference there will be between the blu ray and the DVD. I doubt the difference is 5 to 10 times better which is the price difference between the two formats. I would love to get the Honeymooners set just because it includes "The Adaption" episode, which was the last appearance of Audrey Meadows as Alice except for the last reunion shows, when the actors were much older and so it really didn't feel like the reunion shows were a part of the series.Exept i don't know if it is worth the price.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Ron1973 said:
No, it was Mayberry, RFD where that Sam invites his friend Mario to help and he winds up bringing family members along.
If memory serves, that was the last episode filmed, but not the last one aired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks