What's new

Andy Griffith Show Season 6 coming in May (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yep, you are correct. For whatever reason, I always want to place that wedding at the end of the TAGS run (probably because it's usually shown when TVLand finishes it's run and prepares to start over).

I'd still disagree strongly that Andy remained the same jovial guy after Don left. I've talked with numerous TAGS fans and it's almost universally acknowledged that Mr. Griffith got a bit more "cranky", character wise, once the 6th season began. Just watch his interaction with Warren, for one example. You do not see the same understanding, "go out of his way not to hurt another person's feelings" type of guy. There's just a distinct difference in Andy's attitude during these color years.

Having said that, I certainly agree that Warren was typecast to be another Barney, and that was a mistake. No one could have lived up to that role. So Jack isn't to blame for that failed experiment.

The other characters, like Howard, Emmett, and Goober just weren't as interesting, IMHO, as the earlier citizens of Mayberry. And I'd still maintain the changeover to more of a situation oriented comedy hurt the show. Why? Because people had tuned in to see the relationships between Andy, Barney, Aunt Bee, Opie, and the others. And for some reason those relationships just didn't click as strongly with the new characters. Again, this is all my opinion. But I believe it's an opinion held by many TAGS fans.

Gary "like I said, I will buy the remaining three seasons because there are some good episodes from each, but there were also some that really didn't have 'it' [i.e. the magic of those b & w seasons]" O.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, there wasn't anything more "magical" of the early years over the later ones. The advantage to the older shows is that there seem to be more lawbreakers -- particularly in the first 2 years. That gave the show an occasionally grittier edge. The downhome goodness of the many citizens of Mayberry took over. The writers gradually gave Andy less policework to do, that was long before Barney Fife quietly left town....

James@R

Second Unit

Oh, there's definitely a noticeable difference. I think it's yet another result of everyone having to pick up the slack caused by Barney's absence. Andy was no longer the straight man to Barney's clown, so they did have him acting a bit crankier and more stubborn to move the plots along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks