What's new

Andy Griffith Show Complete series. (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

The pilot is a worthwhile extra; trouble is that's it's already been released as an extra, as part of Questar's season 5 release of "Make Room for Daddy." So it's already available on the market.

rapier

Auditioning
this is starting to get old. whats next a team MacGyver. i hating waiting but with the extras i might star to wait..

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What's a little odd is that a "Complete Series" TAGS set has been available since December 12th (at Amazon for $225).

But I'm now assuming this is a mere bundling of all 8 seasons, without anything extra added in. (Possibly initiated by Amazon instead of Paramount? Although it does have a "Complete Series" banner on the front; Amazon wouldn't have done that by themselves...would they?....)

http://www.amazon.com/Andy-Griffith-.../dp/B000HWZ4IO

Anyway, I'd very much like to have the Pilot episode from Danny Thomas' series. A shame it wasn't included on the Season-One set (where it had-oughta be, as Andy Taylor might phrase it). :)

BTW, can any Season-Eight owners confirm for me this somewhat-odd packaging difference from the photo above? ---

My S.8 box, unlike all 7 other seasons, doesn't have the picture of Andy at the very TOP of the spine. Instead, the CBS DVD logo is atop Andy's pic. Plus: the above image shows a "Season 8" marking on the spine. My copy has "Final Season"....which wrecks the continuity of the other sets, which have a numerical number (as it should be, IMO).

Just curious to know if perhaps Paramount released 2 different boxes for Season 8?

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's unfair of Paramount to do this to its customers. I'm one of those people who really enjoyed "The Andy Griffith Show", purchasing all the season sets as they became available, hoping that the company might eventually release the pilot and "Return to Mayberry" on a single disc for all us die-hard fans of the series. Can we do anything to prompt Paramount to release these separately? Surely, the company understands that the current plan will not be well received by the majority of folks who wanted these sets quickly and have been diligent in buying them as they were released.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Paramount, Warner Bros, and a couple of other studios package all the available sets together each time they release a new one. You could find similar packaging for seasons 1-3 the day season 3 was released, and 1-4 the day season 4 was released. We stopped reporting on them since it's nothing remarkable, just existing sets with a bit more plastic on it.

As for the artwork... chances are someone made a change to the season 8 set and the artist forgot to update the bundle art.

Gord

LCD22

Screenwriter

I hope we don't see one for "MacGyver", but you know that's probably what will end up with, one including both reunion movies if they follow "Andy Griffith". The two TV movies should be released separately.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob

COuld you perhaps talk to Paramount about a single disc containing Return to MAyberry movie on it? And whoever owns the right to the Brady Bunch, a disc with just the Christmas movie on it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I understand that people aren't happy that they have to rebuy the series to get the bonus disc. However, just like the M*A*S*H*, Buffy and Alias sets, you can probably sell your individual sets off on eBay, buy the series set and end up with a small profit. It's not perfect but if you want the bonus disc that bad, it beats nothing.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
As much as I love this series, I'm not sure I will buy it on DVD since TV Land plays this show a lot. I am interested in seeing the Pilot and the TV movie. If the price is right, I might pick it up.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. How about an email address so we can all contact them. It can't hurt. Fox is releasing the MASH bonus discs seperatly, so maybe CBS/Paramount will do the same for TAGS & The Brady Bunch.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I don't have contact with people at CBS/Paramount that work on these DVD sets, or I would have already called them to complain about bundling TV movies in the complete series sets.

Gord

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a bit disappointed as I also want the "Return to Mayberry" TV movie but have already bought the 8 season sets and won't rebuy a complete series set just to get that. I'll wait...I imagine it'll eventually be issued separately.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot even watch the TV Land eps because they air severely butchered episodes. Aside of an episode or two (the Darlings one comes immediately to mind), the DVDs that have been released appear uncut and look great (and the cast commercials, although only on two sets, are great). Of course, TAGS is my favorite tv show of all time, which may factor in my opinion of the TV Land airings.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
If they want to include extra episodes on this complete set, they could've also included the first episode of MAYBERRY RFD (which features the Andy-Helen wedding and a guest appearance from Don Knotts) or the reunion show that aired a few years back on CBS. That makes more sense than the RETURN movie. Of course, if they'd done this, I would be even more upset than I already am.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
They'll probably release Mayberry RFD eventually. I hope so. I'd really like to own the episodeof the wedding. I'll just wait and see.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I'm slightly thinking of getting the set but probably won't. I seem to remember having the pilot on a dvd already and I have the reunion movie on tape from the day it aired and haven't watched it since.

Chances are they will release the stuff again in a few years. Right?

I've slowly been watching them w/my daughter so we're just finishing up season two. Seasons 3-8 are still unopened.

I've given my parents all of the seasons as presents over the last few years. I still have 7 and 8 to give them.

It would be nice to have Mayberry RFD but I'm not sure if they'll do it. I taped them all years back when TBS ran them all one time. I haven't watched these since the initial time either.

I did buy Gomer since there were some good extras but didn't initially plan to. I had taped that show years back too and only kept the eps where Andy Griffith Show characters made an appearance.

It seems like I shouldn't tape anything since I never watch it again. I taped all of the Andy Griffith Shows about 20 years ago plus all of the TBS marathons w/cast members talking between shows, the movies, and also bought the commercial VHS releases and have yet to watch any of them. For shame!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks