What's new

Andy Griffith Show:Complete Seasons Box Set Review? (1 Viewer)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Hello all. any word if they corrected the wrongs that were included on the individual DVD sets? Cuts, missing laugh tracks?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wow! I was planning to buy this as one of my next big DVD purchases. I had no idea there was problems. I was going to get this full series set. So I'm interested as well. Anybody?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The discs are going to be the same as the individual season sets. The whole reason Paramount (or any company) put together a series set is because it's more or less a repackagaing and relatively inexpensive because the discs are the same as before.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

Are you sure about this? they've already released a complete seasons box set bundle...so, it seems the bonus reunion movies will be on a separate disc....Hmmm.
Maybe we'll get to but this separately? I sure hope so.
why on earth would they not remaster this with corrected errors?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the bonus disc will be new but everything else will be the same because the point behind the set is to make more money off what they have already produced. Going back and fixing things is much more expensive than using the already existing discs. The only thing that may change is the art on the discs but they won't change the contents on the disc.

If there was ever a fix of the disc (like Paramount did with I Love Lucy) then those would probably be in there but if they never created a replacement disc for the errors in the season sets, they won't here either.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a jerk (and I hope that I'm wrong) but based on other series sets, I don't think I am.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
well they sort of corrected the missing laugh tracks, but never fixed the edited episode...I'm hoping your wrong!:)

RowMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Rowland
If you waited until now to purchase any of the Andy Griffith Show season sets, this is a decent deal only because the price has been reduced compared to the individual season sets. For those who already have one or more seasons, the new extras in this new all-season set are no big whoop and in my opinion is not worth purchasing.

Unfortunately, the pilot episode included in this set is a syndicated version which is edited by about 2 and a half minutes. This is the same version already available on the Make Room For Daddy - The Complete Fifth Season DVD set. The full length pilot had been released on VHS, but has been out-of-print for a few years now. Why couldn't Paramount include the full length version? We know it exists.

The two edited episodes in Season 3 remain edited. "The Darlings Are Coming" is the heavily cut syndicated version that, among other things, omits the Darling family's toe-tapping rendition of "Salty Dog". The "Barney Mends A Broken Heart" episode is still missing its epilogue where Nurse Peggy is tending to Andy's blackened eye while Barney accidentally let's it slip that he and Andy had been out with other women the previous night. Source material does exist that would restore these episodes to their full length glory.

The episodes on discs 1 and 2 of Season 4 that were missing the laugh tracks have been corrected, but this was done way before this new box set was ever announced. If you have these discs without the laugh tracks, I believe Paramount is still replacing them with the corrected ones.

A surprise was that the "Opie Joins The Marines" episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC has been included. However, this will be released anyway when Season 2 of that series rolls around in a few months.

The TV movie, "Return To Mayberry" finally makes it's way to DVD as a bonus feature in this set. It is uncut and presented just as originally broadcast in 1986. Hopefully it will be released as a separate disc for those who already have some or all of this series.

Without even going into the shoddy packaging issues, this new box set is a disappointment compared to the prevously released season sets. For whatever reason, Paramount chose not to fix most of their prior errors and then gave us sub-standard extras. The new lower price would be the only reason to buy this set if you don't already have any of the individually released seasons. If you do already have them, stick with 'em.

Feel free to send me a private message if you're interested in getting hold of the material that's lacking in this series.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks for the comments. Annoying problems but I'll buy hoping one day I can buy and download individual episodes that are perhaps fixed. This is a show I really want.

I remember that Darlings number Salty Dog. It sucks not to have it in the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks