What's new

Andy Griffith Reunion on CBS (1 Viewer)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody catch this Tuesday night? I personally thought it was very well done. It wasn't sappy like these can be. Andy made a joke at the end about "we've spent enough time congratulating ourselves".

I was glad to see "Ronny" Howard be a part of this. A lot of people in his shoes might have considered themselves "above" such an appearance. He is one classy guy.

Let's hope that the expected big ratings translate into a momentum push to getting this show onto DVD.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I missed all but the end. From the little I did see, it looked like a great reunion. I hope when and if the DVDs come out, this will be included.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is...D'oh! I was so going to watch this, and then I forgot and ended up watching 8 simple rules and Frasier instead. I never even flipped to CBS, D'oh! D'oh! and did I mention D'oh? I hope the series does make it to DVD, B&W episodes only for me though.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Personally, I liked the real reunion TV movie RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) far more.

I shut off that clip show last night after 30 mins.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Really enjoyed this special. Some very sweet and funny moments. It was a good reminder that if Andy and Don are going to contribute to a DVD box set for commentaries and such, somebody needs to get on the ball. Those guys aren't getting any younger.

Sadly, we wont have them around much longer.

Peace,

DM

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Yes, well done, and Ron Howard once again seems to be one of the few decent guys in Hollywood.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Ratings Update: big winner with over 21 million viewers. Easily beat the Jessica Lynch interview by about 6 million viewers.

It was a good reminder that if Andy and Don are going to contribute to a DVD box set for commentaries and such, somebody needs to get on the ball. Those guys aren't getting any younger.
Dave is right on the money on this. Although both are still mentally vibrant, they've both seen better days phyically. Andy looks like he needs to increase his Citrical intake; he's noticably stooped to the point where Don Knotts is going to be taller than him soon :)

I read where Knotts is on his "Farewell Tour" on the stage circuit. God Bless Him. He'll be 80 next year. Andy told CNN that he's in discussions to return to TV in a detective series, although it sounded like it wouldn't be Matlock. (I loved the Matlock series, even when they got goofy the last couple of seasons.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed watching this Special as well. I was surprised to see a recent clip featuring Howard Morris. I had thought he was no longer with us. (Born September 4, 1919 & still going strong it would appear. :))

I fully expect to see this nice 1-hour special included as a Bonus Feature on Image Entertainment's upcoming 2004 release of The Andy Griffith Show Complete First Season; 1960-1961.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They aren't in the same league as the b&w episodes, but I find the color episodes enjoyable enough. I'd buy them along with the rest, and would also very gladly buy Gomer Pyle.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly Griffith asked that only the first years be shown. He said it wasn't the same without Don Knotts. Class all the way.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The TV station that shows Andy Griffth in my own Mayberryish neck of the woods actually shuts off the color subcarrier on the videotape machine for the color episodes, to fool the discriminating but not fully hardcore viewers into thinking that a color episode isn't color, and apparently they have ratings numbers that show that the trick actually works. I've heard it's a firing offense for a control room employee who forgets to do it.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
That's hilarious! As if viewers couldn't tell the later episodes are dull as dirt, in color or black and white! The only thing more boring is MAYBERRY, RFD.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

That IS hilarious! That station's TAGS fans must be far from "hard-core" Andy fans then. You'd think the lack of Barney, plus the addition of people such as Emmett, Howard, Millie, and a much-larger Opie MIGHT just give viewers a clue that these shows were the later (color) ones.

(Not to mention the fact that Andrew's southern twang has all but disappeared by 1966. :))

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks