What's new

Andy Griffith, Don Knotts on CNN tonight (1 Viewer)

DanFe

Second Unit
Did they say anything about possible future DVDs of The Andy Griffith Show? Forgot. It was on the Larry King show. Anyone?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Didn't happen to see that. But I think the fact that the reunion special absolutely dominated the ratings the night it aired showed that there are still a lot of fans of this show. It really needs to be on DVD and soon.

A lot of the same production aspects for TAGS was the same for The Dick Van Dyke Show (both were Danny Thomas Prods. shot at Desilu Studios and aired on CBS w/ the same composer for both shows' music). And both shows have about 20 or so "public domain" episodes on DVD, so I imagine there's at least a chance that the DVD rights for TAGS could be up for grabs in the same way that Image managed to land The Dick Van Dyke Show DVD's.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Paul Brownstein actually produced the Dick Van Dyke Show DVDs. Image just distributed them. He's the same guy behind the Sonny & Cher Show and You Bet Your Life DVDs. He's doing Here's Lucy and The Richard Pryor Show next. All are distributed by various companies.

But your point is excellent, Dane. Will have to check into who has the rights to Andy Griffith.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the IMDB listing of distributors of TAGS.
CBS Films
CBS Television [us]
Paramount Television [us]
Viacom [us]

So I would presume that Paramount would have the DVD rights? Probably not that simple, though, as we know.

I've said this before but it would be a real shame to wait too long to get Andy Griffith and Don Knotts' participation in DVD sets while they're still able. And any other surviving writers, bit players, etc.

Maybe Martin Blythe could confirm or deny if Paramount has the rights?

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Great show. Nothing at all was said about DVD releases though.

To me, the best news that did come out the show is that Andy is looking at a project that would reteam him with Dick Van Dyke in a mystery, presumably in their Matlock/Mark Sloan characters (my assumption these characters weren't explicity mentioned on the show). I was a huge fan of both of those latter day shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks