Andromeda: The Slipstream Collection (50 DVD Set)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

If you haven't heard by now then ADV Films has announced that they are releasing the entire Andromeda DVD series in one complete 50 DVD Boxed Collection entitled the Slipstream Collection.

You can pre-order this awesome collection for less than $128.00 here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ink%5Fcode=xm2

It's due to come out on October 3rd and I plan on ordering this bad devil beause that price is hard to pass up.

2. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

I have a couple of questions

1) What is the box like for the this 50 disc collection?

2) How many of these seasons are shot in 16:9?

I am interested in getting this series and this is an awesome price point for 5 seasons.

Andy

3. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

all of them.

4. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Rick.

I picked up this set at Best Buy for $99 at lunch today. It was a fantastic price point for 110, 1 hour long, episodes and 5 complete seasons IMO.

Andy

5. david_hu

david_hu Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that the size of the set(packaging) is near the same as the original release of season 1.

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I shouldn't pass it up. I liked the first two seasons, found season 3 good and bad, season 4 was worse, and season 5 was mostly bad.

7. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Its not bad for shelf space. The 50 discs are contained in 25 double wide thinPaks.

Andy

8. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I recently purchased the Andromeda: Slipstream Edition. It contains all five seasons on 50 discs, and all in thin case packaging. The set looks quite good, and thus far I am enjoying it very much.

I watched the first two episodes from Season One last night, and will be watching the series from beginning to end, now that I have the complete series on DVD. Some of the more impressive aspects about this collection are that all of the special features included in the single-season releases (which IMO were very expensive) are included here, and that some of the various screenshots are included on the cases. Each case includes two discs, with either two or three episodes on each disc. The cost of the set was $185.00. I have read (perhaps I am wrong?) that the set is no longer being distributed. By far the most important selling point for me was the fact that every disc is single-sided. As fans of this show know, the first season was produced on single-sided discs, but every season after that went to the often damage-prone double-sided discs. I don't mind these too much, but I do mind the inconsistency within one and the same series. So I was thrilled to see that all 50 discs are single-sided.

9. Mark Talmadge

Actually, the disks are contained within 50 thinpack DVD containers, not double DVD containers. With 1 disk per DVD container.

10. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mark,

Perhaps your collection is this way, but mine is not. For example, the very first case includes the first five episodes from Season One (two episodes on the first disc, and three on the second, both discs in a very thin case). Perhaps you have a different edition than I have? My Slipstream Collection consists of twenty-five thinpack cases, each containing two discs. The spines read Season 1, Collection 1; Season 1, Collection 2, Season 1, Collection 3, etc. Then again, I paid $185 for this one. It may be that these are two different editions.

Here is a quoted passage (review) from the link you provided in your first post in this thread, It mentions the dual-disc thinpaks I am speaking of:

"I was pleasantly surprised by this. The product details don't mention it at all, but this IS a "thinpaks" release. The set contains all episodes of seasons 1-5 on 50 discs in 25 dual-disc thinkpaks, packaged in a sturdy, cardboard box. The box is much smaller than the Amazon product photo makes it appear. Placed sideways on your bookshelf it will take up less room than the First Season box set. The artwork on the outer sleeves of each thinpak is the same as previous releases. Artwork on the spines of all thinpaks, when viewed together, portray the Amdromeda Ascendant comin' at ya! The discs in this collection are single-sided, unlike the double-sided discs in the 2-5 season box sets. The content and episodes on the discs are the same as in previous releases. If you already own the previous releases, this may not interest you much. However, if you didn't like the double-sided discs of the season 2-5 sets and would like the space this set will save on your shelves, it IS worth getting."

11. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Scott, just so you know, Andromeda was always released through ADV on single sided dvds. I have all the volumns from all the seasons and none are double sided discs. All they did with this set is take all the dvds that were currently available in the volumn sets and pack them in thin cases. The box set is nice, but, the content is the same. Same # of discs in the individual volumns and same # of discs in the complete series set. Each individual volumn came with 2 discs and each disc either had 2 or 3 episodes on it. Each season had 5 volumns. When they re-released Farscape on dvd they did that dvd 2 sided shit and people complained about glitching and freezing all the time. Maybe you have the two series release details confused.

12. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    ^^^
    Troy,

Thanks for your input. But the main point in my previous post wasn't so much that, as it was trying to convey that the Slipstream Collection is contained within twenty-five cases (which it is), and not fifty.

That's not entirely accurate. I've got double-sided discs right in front of me. Maybe you mean that they are no longer distributed that way, in which case I could understand why. Here is an example of a set with double-sided discs:

[​IMG]

Here are what a few people said about the double-sided discs:

"ADV perpetually overcharges for all their single-episode disks. I have long given up buying them, and instead wait (and wait...) for the box sets. Note that in this set, you get 5 double-sided disks instead of the 10 single sided disks you would have if you bought them individually. It doesn't match the first season set, but it does save a bit of shelf space. The user interface is a lot better, but now the disk is front-loaded with commercials."

Amazon.com: Andromeda - Season 2 Collection: DVD: Philip David Segal

and

"While I like Andromeda, the double-sided "flipper" is a bad idea for a TV show. I was quite dissapointed to find this was the case, and that ADV decided to change the media format in the second season without notifying the consumer."

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Andromeda - Season 2 Collection

and

"After buying Season 1 with 10 Discs, I was surprised and a little sceptical to hear that Season 2 would be only 5 discs - all of which are 'flipper' discs. But ADV have pulled it off with some very nice new menus and transfers of episodes that are equal to or better than the last season. The only downside of 'flippers' are the increased chance of fingerprints on the disc, but if you are careful, then they have made a great space-saving choice in this release. Cannot wait for Season 3 [​IMG]"

"I own lots of TV series on DVDs and this is the first set I've received to use the "flipper" format. The flipper is particularly bad format for TV shows because they can't be easily used in single sided DVD jukeboxes/changers (I own the new Sony 400 disc player). I like to store my favorite shows in my megachanger, and had space already set aside for Andromeda S2. Now it will have to sit on the shelf.

I would discourage ADV from using flippers again, and hopefully they'll go back to using the single-sided DVDs for their subsequent releases."

There are several other reviews by people who own the double-sided sets as well. Thankfully, I held out for the Slipstream Collection. Granted, I could have gone the route you chose, but I think the price for the fifty-disc set is quite reasonable.

13. Mark Talmadge

That's correct, all single sided disks.

14. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    ^^^
    So are you enjoying the show? We watched a couple of episodes tonight. I love the clear, crisp picture. And the sound is less muffled on DVD than when I saw the series on television.

15. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Then Scott, how do you explain that the disc count is the same from volumns to complete set? Why double side for no less in disc #? Again, I own every volumn and have no "flipper" discs. I bought all my volumns as they were released in the U.S. Now, I can't speak to what may have happened in other countries. If my single sided sets all totalled are 50 dvds and the complete series set is 50 dvds it seems pretty clear the discs have not changed or "flippered" themselves for no reason. The people you refference are saying Andromeda , Yet, it was Farscape that was originally on 11 individual dvds for the first season. Then on all future volumns they followed the Andromeda route and put out 2 disc sets. Which were still single sided dvds. The series was then later released in what was known as the Starburst collection on double sided dvds. Just to clear it up.

16. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Troy,

I would submit that it's just another edition of the same show. This frequently occurs with DVD distribution.

One would think. But since I have double-sided discs (for one collection, before I became more informed), I think it's entirely possible. As I said, it's probably just another edition.

Three years ago, I purchased Collection 1, which consisted of single-sided discs (five separate cases, labeled 1.1, 1.2, etc.) contained in one larger, cardboard box. This was great. Then I purchased a boxed set of Season Two (my mistake), and all of them were double-sided! I was disappointed. I refused to buy any beyond this, and thankfully the Slipstream Collection was released recently.

I believe you when you say you purchased all of your sets single-sided. I think there was more than one edition distributed. This happens with Trek (different collections), so I'm not too surprised that it might happen with Andromeda as well. I didn't start ordering products from other countries until DS9 and VOY (since the special features in the U.K. distribution are more lengthy than their American counterparts, and since the cases are far more durable).

Please take a peek at the reviews (if you haven't already). I doubt very much that four or five people all made the same mistake with regard to the title they were reviewing. I suppose it's possible, but not very likely.

17. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Fair enough. If you say you have double sided discs that's fine. However, I thought you praised this set a few posts back because all the discs in this set were single sided. Look, in the long run it doesn't really matter. It just seems as you've made 2 very different statements. it's not a big deal, but, if you recommend something to others here you need to be clear.

18. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Troy,

Yes, I did praise the Slipstream Collection. It's wonderful. Sorry for the confusion. [​IMG]