What's new

Andromeda Strain Comments? (1 Viewer)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Can anyone comment on the audio and video quality of this DVD? Reviews of this disc seem to be extremely thin on the ground. Cheers.

Adam

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Adam,

The disc appears to be the same transfer as the LD. It is adequate, but nothing spectacular in any way. The colors look faded and the sound seemed a bit muffled at times. It was a bargain at $7.00-usd when I purchased it about a year and a half ago.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed in the transfer, I actually found it worse than the laser. I'm hoping that Universal will re-release this in the form it deserves.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
At this point I would hold off. The Andromeda Strain is one of a group of Universal films (others include An American Werewolf In London, Midway, and Cat People) which had early bare-bones, non-anamorphic releases by Image. Since the licensing agreement under which these were released expired, Universal has been re-releasing them in much improved versions. I think (hope?) we can expect them to follow suit with The Andromeda Strain at some point.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Adam, I agree with Craig. And I seem to remember rumors of Robert Wise working on a special edition of Andromeda Strain. Anyone else remember hearing that?

M.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I haven't heard anything about Wise working on a SE of this film, although I'd certainly snap it up in a second if it were re-released with a new anamorphic transfer and director's commentary. Are you perhaps thinking of his recent work on a SE of The Day the Earth Stood Still?

I agree with the other opinions here regarding the current DVD - the transfer is pretty lousy. It's still a wonderful film though, and if you can find the Image release for cheap I'd go for it until something better comes along

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Image dvd is dreadful - while it eliminates the horrible video noise (especially in the color red, unfortunate since one entire level of the research lab is that color), it adds TONS of grain that wasn't in the laser release. And the film has still not been transferred in it's intended 2.35:1 ratio (2.00:1 is as close as it's come so far). I have heard on several sites that this is a planned special edition, and it doesn't sound as though it will be all that long in coming. Forget the Image disaster.

SvenS

Second Unit
If you like the film and it's available for a good price grab it! While it is far from a stellar transfer it's not nearly as bad a some have indicated! I view it on a 58" HDTV and it is good enough so that it doesn't take you out of the film noticing all the flaws.

It hardly a given that Universal will re-release this fil on DVD anytime soon as it is not a mainstream film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks